hey guys. I've been playing guitar for three years now and have been practising daily. but i've been having this problem that no matter how hard i try i cannot alternate pick faster than 120-130 bpm(16th note). and i've been in this rut since a long time. sometimes i have this weird drop of ability in the right hand and i cannot play even 120 so i have to start again at 100 or so and build back to same speed over a few weeks. and by the time i come back around 120 or so it so happens that i again take a fall in my ability randomly. please help

i think it has something to with my shoulder muscles getting tired though i'm not sure. though i've tried to relax but it doesnt work.
You always practice it? How long have you been at it?

P.S. Misleading title haha..
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by ^Slash^
You always practice it? How long have you been at it?

P.S. Misleading title haha..

yea man. i practise minimum 3 hours daily. i've been at it for months
Not trying to be a downer or anything, but you might have found your limit.
I'm not saying to stop trying, but just take notice that everyone has their limits.
I learned awhile back that I wasn't going to be Paul Gilbert, so I learned to live with being Ace Frehley...if that makes any sense.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by badomentolive
hey guys. I've been playing guitar for three years now and have been practising daily. but i've been having this problem that no matter how hard i try i cannot alternate pick faster than 120-130 bpm(16th note). and i've been in this rut since a long time. sometimes i have this weird drop of ability in the right hand and i cannot play even 120 so i have to start again at 100 or so and build back to same speed over a few weeks. and by the time i come back around 120 or so it so happens that i again take a fall in my ability randomly. please help

i think it has something to with my shoulder muscles getting tired though i'm not sure. though i've tried to relax but it doesnt work.

I had this problem as well. The first few years I was playing I was unable to get anywhere speed wise when it came to picking. The most important thing I have found out though is that it is imperative to have somewhat of a firm grip on the pick while trying to keep the rest of your arm completely relaxed. The only way to become completely relaxed is to start from scratch and retrain your muscles. Angling the picking also helps out tons as well! Try playing in classical position.
Do you pick w/ ypur wrist?
Also does your picking method change when you start playing fast? If so figure out what exactly your "faster" method is and impliment it to your slower playing, you'll find that it will get faster and from then on just use that one method.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I'm not saying to stop trying, but just take notice that everyone has their limits.
I learned awhile back that I wasn't going to be Paul Gilbert, so I learned to live with being Ace Frehley...if that makes any sense.

I must disagree with you, and say that the only limits are the ones you put on yourself. I mean, as great as Paul Gilbert was back in the 80's, he is constantly improving. Same with Joe Walsh, he was really good back in the later 60's on through the 80's, but now he is even better (probably because he's not a drinker or drugger anymore lol).
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Absolutely false, and terrible advice.

Paul Gilbert mentioned somewhere, that when he first started, he thought he was only allowed to use up-strokes, and felt reeally limited in his playing.

May not be the best example, but w/e.

Limits are simply illusions. If you feel like youll never get faster, then practice more and stop thinking about it. Speed comes with time.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
I am not experienced in this because I can't even alternate pick fast myself (just started to try it after playing for a year) and I'm lefthanded and play a righthanded guitar (well, a guitar for righthanded) which means that my picking is my weak side instead of the fretting. Limits are not illusions as someone above stated, somewhere you must have a limit, but I don't think you are at yours now. Can it be that you don't relax as much as you should, do you think?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Limits are not illusions as someone above stated, somewhere you must have a limit, but I don't think you are at yours now. Can it be that you don't relax as much as you should, do you think?

You know what he means.
Quote by badomentolive

Do you mean with like a single note? Or playing different notes with your left hand?

One thing I've been doing is to make sure I sit up straight (if you're not standing).. Guitarists tend to slouch, but I find it puts my wrist in a much better/relaxed position when I'm sitting up straight. Like someone already said, make sure you're using your wrist.. no elbow.

Other then that it's really practice... For just pure right hand speed you just want to practice that daily and just kind of push until you get tired. Then repeat that a few times a day. I've been playing a bunch of Emperor and Iced Earth tunes for that, which makes it more interesting then playing with a metronome.

If you're talking about playing left hand stuff at that speed... I would take a look at your left hand first and make sure you got everything happening there. I know for the longest time I thought some of the sloppiness in my playing was due to my picking... turns out it was my left hand. I wasn't fretting stuff at the exact right timing when I started to speed up.
Quote by badomentolive

Oh forgot to ask, do you anchor your picking hand? Some fast guitarists use their picking hand's pinky to "anchor" their hand down to the guitar's body so their hand's more stable when they pick.
Quality over Quantity first! Try playing as fast as you could AS CLEANLY as you could. Keep practicing that way, and not only will you be able to pick faster, you can pull notes out from the sky at top speed!