Ok so... after two years of playing on a crappy-as-fvck p bass copy i'm going to buy a nice 5 string bass... i've been looking a lot of basses online and i think i'm going to buy one of these two basses:

Ibanez SR405QM
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR405QM-Soundgear-5-String-Electric-Bass-104228754-i1172539.gc

OR

Schecter Omen-5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Omen-5-5-String-Bass-Guitar-513489-i1148148.gc

so help me choose please...
i play mostly metal but i play all kinds of rock (classic, punk, alt., etc...)
I have the Schecter, and it's amazing. It's never given me any trouble and it gives a lot of sound.

Edit: I play a lot of metal, too, and it will definitely give you what you're looking for on the deep end.
The thing about Ibanezes is this - no matter if you get the most expensive or the absolute cheapest Ibanez you can find, chances are, it's going to at least be dang decent. And the Soundgears have a great reputation for a reason.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
If you can save a bit more, you can get an Ibanez SR500 (or 505).
It's got a mahogany body, wich results in a deeper tone, and that might be better for metal/rock.
And the biggest bonus from saving up is the pickups and the EQ. The bartolini's really are worth it.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Ya, a bit late. But Ibanez blows it out of the water. Never really liked the Schecter's sound and feel (Tried 'em). The Ibanez has much better feel and tone, imo.

Have fun!

- ATB

Maybe you could update with pics of the new bass?
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge
Ya, a bit late. But Ibanez blows it out of the water. Never really liked the Schecter's sound and feel (Tried 'em). The Ibanez has much better feel and tone, imo.

Have fun!

- ATB

Maybe you could update with pics of the new bass?

Sure! I'll do it when i buy it
Bah, this was one for me but it may just be too late. I'll say it anyways though.

So far as those two specific basses go, the Ibanez is the better choice, seeing as how the Omen is the bottom of the line of the "C" series basses (link to blog about them), however if you were to save up a bit more ($100-$200) you would be in the range of the Custom and Elite Stilettos, which are superior by far to any Ibanez I've ever played. No matter which I've tried, I've found Ibanez to make nothing but "beginner" basses to my mind. I've not found a single one (including the oft lauded ATK basses) to be anything more than simple, unimpressive, and really not worth it except to a beginner, maybe as a slight upgrade from a Squier or the like.

But the point here is that you're comparing a mid-level Ibanez to the absolute bottom of the line Schecter (tied with the Stiletto Deluxe). If you had the money I'd say go for a better Schecter, but if that's your price limit, the Ibanez is the way to go.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
No matter which I've tried, I've found Ibanez to make nothing but "beginner" basses to my mind. I've not found a single one (including the oft lauded ATK basses) to be anything more than simple, unimpressive, and really not worth it except to a beginner, maybe as a slight upgrade from a Squier or the like.

I'd have to disagree with you on that point.
Ibanez make some great basses. They might not be real high end (like Fodera or Lull, or Wal or something like that), but they got fantastic semi professional gear.

The SR500 + 's (sr900 sr1000, ...) are great, as wel as the ATK. If you find the ATK an absulute beginner bass, the stingray would be like a high starter - intermediate bass. Since, imo, the ATK and stingray aren't that different, both in feel and sound.
The BTB series, is also great, once you get in the midlevel of the serie.

Comparing them to squier is just plain wrong, unless you're comparing a GSR200 to a VM jazz bass maybe. But saying that a bass like a SR1000 is just a bit better than a squier, is laughable.

You may dislike their feel or tone, but that doesn't mean they're worse.
I dislike fender basses myself, but does that mean a fender custom USA jazz is just a bit better than my good old starting Ibanez GSR180? I didn't think so. I know they are great basses, but they just aren't right for me.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
I always wanted an Ibanez 405QM, but when i went to go an try it out at my local GC then didn't have it. =(. I'd go with it over the Omen.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Quote by sam_ofzo
I'd have to disagree with you on that point.
Ibanez make some great basses. They might not be real high end (like Fodera or Lull, or Wal or something like that), but they got fantastic semi professional gear.

The SR500 + 's (sr900 sr1000, ...) are great, as wel as the ATK. If you find the ATK an absulute beginner bass, the stingray would be like a high starter - intermediate bass. Since, imo, the ATK and stingray aren't that different, both in feel and sound.
The BTB series, is also great, once you get in the midlevel of the serie.

Comparing them to squier is just plain wrong, unless you're comparing a GSR200 to a VM jazz bass maybe. But saying that a bass like a SR1000 is just a bit better than a squier, is laughable.

You may dislike their feel or tone, but that doesn't mean they're worse.
I dislike fender basses myself, but does that mean a fender custom USA jazz is just a bit better than my good old starting Ibanez GSR180? I didn't think so. I know they are great basses, but they just aren't right for me.
OOH don't forget the EDB series! I still want to try an EDB700. But the EDB400 is totally not boring, it's got plenty of cool for the low price tag. And well, my discontinued EDB500 is made of luthite. Love. It.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Bah, to each his own. I simply can't get near enough variety of sounds out of it to be worth the price tag. I have my Stiletto Elite which costs me significantly less than an ATK and is superior in every single way so far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad basses, they just aren't that great. At least none of the ones I've played are (and I've played a lot. Even with basses I hate, if I'm in a Guitar Center and they have one, I'll try it anyways, just in case I am missing something, no matter how many times I've hated playing it in the past). I'd sooner get the GSR200FM. It looks better, and sounds nearly the same for half the price.

And don't get me started on stingrays. Or musicman in general. I hate them. Generic sound, neck the size of a small tree, and uncomfortable as all hell. Sure, its a "unique" stingray sound, but its not really unique when its one of the most common basses to buy anymore, is it? And there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do with it either, its kinda like a Ric. It sounds like what it is and nothing else. At least with a Ric you have a sound that is nearly impossible to match with a different bass.

I don't expect a bass to be incredible, I just expect it to be worth its price tag. I can do more with a Schecter Elite or 004 than I can with anything short of a $2000 bass and I can do it for under $800. I like the freedom you get with a bass like that to modify your sound as much as you like, I hate being limited, especially if I'm spending that much money on a bass. That's the biggest reason I don't have a Rickenbacker yet. I absolutely love the Rickenbacker look, sound and feel, except I can't do much with it, so its not worth the money right now. Maybe someday I can blow the money on one but it won't be for awhile.

If you like something, then by all means, go for it, buy it, enjoy it. I'm not one to stop you. I just hate how the price tag and quality are so often mismatched. I would gladly own a low end Ibanez, but I could never justify spending that much more on a "high" end one when I don't notice a difference large enough to warrant it. And not when there are better options to be found in the same range.

And I'm sure I missed saying something I meant to, so please, continue this debate, I actually enjoy a civil debate (which is so damn hard to find anymore) and would genuinely be pleased if you could convert me. Its your job to find me reasons though, so have at it. Probably should go through private messages or comments though, so as not to piss off the mods for off topic posting
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.