In Marty Friedman's "Melodic Control" video, he said that he follows chords rather than staying in the scale. For those of you familiar with his style, what does he mean by this? All help is appreciated.
Line 6 Spider III 150 watt
Ibanez S520ex
Fender MIM (Mexican) HSS Stratocaster
Vox Valvetronix AD15vt amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion

A Marshall Vintage Modern or Mesa Boogie F-30 will be my reward when I finish college
Did you watch the video or just stop after he said this? It's what the whole thing's about.
It basically means that he plays the notes of the chords that are being played in the progession. So, if the chords were C-Am-D (completely random), he would use the notes of those chords to solo. Haven't watched the video, just sounds like what hes talking about to me.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
He's not "leaving the scale". He's playing in key the whole time, but he emphasizes the chord changes so that his phrases have more of an impact and gain the listeners attention better.
Quote by Blackballed
It basically means that he plays the notes of the chords that are being played in the progession. So, if the chords were C-Am-D (completely random), he would use the notes of those chords to solo. Haven't watched the video, just sounds like what hes talking about to me.

The video basically tells you to emphasize notes which differentiate the chords. For example going from Em to C, you would emphasize the b and then the c as those make the difference. He also talks about non-scale tones which work well over certain chords, to allow for use of all twelve tones while staying in key. Its all too much to say here, look at bgc's signature.
Quote by isaac_bandits
The video basically tells you to emphasize notes which differentiate the chords. For example going from Em to C, you would emphasize the b and then the c as those make the difference. He also talks about non-scale tones which work well over certain chords, to allow for use of all twelve tones while staying in key. Its all too much to say here, look at bgc's signature.
As requested, my signature.

Make sure you click "Melodic Control," as "Learn to Solo is a mean joke that links you to a picture of a nastly looking sea creature.

Or perhaps it's the other way around...
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Make sure you click "Melodic Control," as "Learn to Solo is a mean joke that links you to a picture of a nastly looking sea creature.

Haha. I like your thinking.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

>_>
Quote by bangoodcharlote

What the hell is that!?
He means don't stay in one scale I think, change along with the chords. Thats what I do. If I'm doin a 12 bar blues in Am, I'll switch along with the Dm and E7, and not just stay in key of A minor the whole time. I think that's what he's emphasizing, variety interestingness.