thumb index and middle?
SUCK IT

__
|_|
/|\
\|/
/ \
/ _ \
the most common grip is thumb and index (as i use as well), but there are some very good guitarists who use thumb and middle finger and such. its really whatever is the most comfortable for you which in turn is the best for your ability to get better.
thumb index and middle

i never noticed i did that til now

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Thumb index and middle all threee!!!!

or less i want to do a fast shred like palm mute then it is thumb and index
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
I go between thumb and index or thumb and middle...never thumb and both.
All three. Occasionally the middle one has something better to do, like tap or palm mute, but normally he can make it.
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.
Thumb index normaly but on super picking like eruption type stuff thumb middle
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
I always have to have at least my thumb and middle finger on the pick. Sometimes I use all 3 but I always use the thumb and middle, no matter what.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Thumb and Index. And I tap with the middle.

same here
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
im weird, but i dont use a pick alot of the time. i just use my index finger basically in the shape you would hold the pick. its just something i just started doing. but when i do use one its def. thumb and index.
i hold a pick like a man
with my hands down its pants
Dick+strings= owww
thumb, index and middle
My Youtube Channel

ESP LTD KH202 Kirk Hammett Signature ROCKS! n im gettin it, which ROCKS EVEN MORE!

Quote by MightyAl
I'm going to say mine would be one with a build-in Fleshlight, so I can f*ck my guitar and play it at the same time.
Thumb and Index.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I actually hold mine like JB does in The school of rock.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Thumb, Index, and Middle, and will remove Middle finger for tapping.

I use all 3 because it is much easier to play fast, PMed riffs IMO.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by JvL
between my fingers <_<
Keep it in the pit "geesh"
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Wow. For over 10 years i've been holding my plectrum between my thumb and my index and middle fingers. I didn't think there was really any other way until earlier today I started to learn Wolf and Raven - Sonata Arctica. The picking in this is crazy and I couldn't quite get it up to speed. The problem was that my picking hand was letting me down.

So I researched on the net and came across this topic. I've now been trying for just 10 minutes holding the pick with my thumb and just the side of my index finger and I instantly found a great improvement! It does feel weird holding the pick in this way...I think it'd feel weird to do something different after doing it one way for 10 years.

So yeah, anyone who's trying to build up speed that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere: I strongly recommend trying to get used to holding the pick with your thumb and the side of your index finger. You get so much more control.
^ +1 getting used to picking with all three fingers will be a pain in the ass a few years since your gonna wanna pick faster and pinch harmonics. Alot of people only use thumb and index fingers so they can have alot of movement, speed, and presicion. This will get all your skills better and as most guitarists always want to get better i would suggest using this pose to avoid annoyment and uncomftablility. Keep rocking!
yup its a sig... yeaaah..
Thumb and index but i can't pick using the pointiest corner... it always gets caught in the strings...
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Sometimes I find my ring, middle, index, AND thumb.
It's...unique and unorthodox and looks really funny.
But that's only sometimes.
Thumb/Index. I mostly tap with middle, but I use index for quick taps... for some reason.
Thumb and index finger. When I started playing guitar, for the first time, I used to like using my thumb, index and middle finger. My teacher told me not to do that so now I use my index and middle finger. The only logical reason I can think for using the index finger, and not middle finger is for hybrid picking. If you want to do hybrid picking (using a pick, and finger picking with the other fingers), I think it would be easier if you don't have your middle finger on the pick.
Thumb, index and middle. I also use engraved black Jim Dunlop 1mm picks -- although my hands don't sweat while i'm playing, i have some trouble holding the pick steady, because i strum very hard, and i found out that the engraved stuff in those picks help me hold them.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Actually I have a problem with this, not with the pick but with the picking hand. It's kinda difficult for me to adjust my hand well for economy of motion. I watch other players doing it and their pinky seems not to move, its just resting on the guitar as well as the palm (without muting of course), and I can do this but when I move lets say from the 6th string to the 1st one, it's hard to keep my palm the way it was, so it moves as well as my pinky (it descends with the pick).

So anyone has any sugestion about this? Has something to do with my wrist? I know i must keep it straight but maybe the motion i'm doing doesnt allow me to move correctly up and down on the strings. Thanks.
Wow, almost a week on since I saw this post and started holding the plectrum "properly" and I can without a doubt say that my playing has improved twice as much!

Like I said above I noticed an improvement straight away, but now that I'm used to holding the plec this new way I'm playing sooo much better. It actually feels natural and feels unnatural to go back to how I've been holding it for 10 years!
Page 1 of 2