So, I'm 21 years old, I've lived in Columbus, Ohio for the last 15 years of my life, and although I like the city because it's cheap, there are good schools, and it has a decent cultural center (in the Short North) I'm ready to go somewhere else.

I've applied to transfer to the University of Texas in Austin, away from OSU. I'm currently 2 years deep in school as a business major (and a strong background with IT and information systems). Why move?

1) Ohio has been bad for me the last year or so. Most of my good friends are either years older than me (because of my job) or still suckling on the teat of their rich parents. I'm sick of the rain and snow, I'm sick of the ridiculously gray skies all winter, I'm sick of my job, I'm sick of OSU's campus (although nice), and I'm just ready for something different.
2) Austin has a fantastic music scene, it's known by many as the live music capitol of the world, it has two awesome arts & music festivals every year (South by Southwest and Austin City Limits), it's a great city to be a young person. It's also a fairly liberal outpost in a fairly conservative state so there should be a good mix of people.
3) Austin also has a huge amount of jobs in the technology sector, so if I fail to make it as a musicman, I can do the technology thing or the business thing.
4) It's warm there. The entire year.
5) Right now I work two jobs: I'm a server at an Italian restaurant and I'm also a cook in the prepared foods department of an organic grocery store. The grocery store allows me to transfer my job to a place in Austin, meaning I won't have to even look for a job when I get there.
6) I have a friend, a musician, my age, who is considering making the move with me.

The only thing that really scares me are accents of the locals...

Is this a bad idea? Am I going to regret leaving behind my family and friends for a shot at something that would actually make me happier? In my experience I've found that happiness for me is simply freedom, not a high-paying job or a big house or a girlfriend.
[If I move, I'm selling my car and most of my belongings, I have about $3000 saved up right now with another 1200 or so in mutual funds, if I really scrimp for the next 3 months I reckon I can have 15grand before I move, after selling my car]
Quote by frottage
just drive three hours northeast and move to yompton.

No thanks, anywhere near the Lake people have accents like they're from Canada, which drives me crazy.

Sorry Canada, I hate your accents. And I'm from Wisconsin, my parents both have the same basic sound as you guys.
Come to Severna Park! Go to Anne Arundel Community College. "It's where futures are carved from stone". Point made.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
Quote by Chikitty_China
Come to Severna Park! Go to Anne Arundel Community College. "It's where futures are carved from stone". Point made.

I just transferred out of Columbus State Community College to Ohio State University, I don't want to back to a Community College again.

The girls at universities are WAY hotter.

I don't know why, probably because of rich-ass parentage. Rich men marry hot women, breed hot daughters.
go anywhere but north.
Michigan sucks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
go anywhere but north.
Michigan sucks.

I'm not moving to Michigan, are you crazy? A Badger/Buckeye fan in Wolverine territory? I'd rather kill myself.
Quote by pratt121
I'm not moving to Michigan, are you crazy? A Badger/Buckeye fan in Wolverine territory? I'd rather kill myself.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Just another reason not to come up.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i live in austin... this is what ive got to say about it:
UT is basically all about the sports, i couldnt get over how much they spend on this crap...
the music scene is crap except when the festivals come, even then its not that great.
"live music capitol" doesnt mean that its good live music. most big bands rarely come through here.

other than that austin is fine, but i cant stand it after living here my whole life, you just might like it.
Well Enough Alone
UT also has a very strong business school, if you want to continue with that.

And if you thought football was big at Ohio State...
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.