hey im wondering if this is a good amp? its a peavey 800 watt black widow.

heres the link. how much do you think its worth?
http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-800-WATT-BLACK-WIDOW-amplifier_W0QQitemZ270222838301QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Gear
Fernandes Monterey Elite (with older version of sustainer)
Marshall MG100HDFX (soon to be sold)
Custom made 150 watt celestion cab (soon being sold also)
jesus that's a lot of wattage. it looks like a bass amp, so unless you play bass and play arenas ands stadiums that is TOO much.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I have had that amp for almost a year and a half and its nothing special, but it's still a solid amp. I'm almost positive that its a 300 watt combo and it weighs at least 80 pounds, yet it is still very loud and could easily drown out drums or guitar. That being said, my uncle set me up with it for 300, so that seems to be a good deal, but I wouldn't go too much higher than that.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, this is definitly a bass amp.
Not 800W at all. It's 300. I think the 8 is a typo as it only appears in the title of the auction.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have owned three peavey amps.Two solid state, one tube. they are solid amps and sound good. made in U.S. i've had to quality issues. i broke one but that was my own fault. i was stupid and hooked things into wrong jacks. my bad, not peavey's. The only issue here is that eq...i mean...wtf. no low mid high. it's all labeled funny.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 31, 2008,
How is it labelled?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Whats funny about the eq? It just gives you more tonal flexibility, and they are labled low and high, so, with an educated guess, you might find the middle frequencies are the "mids".

EDIT: heres a pic
Last edited by Jeff123 at Mar 31, 2008,
they are not labeld low mid high. but now i see that it has the frequencies written above the knobs. didn't see that before so ya i'd say go for it. worst case you can sell it for same price. A peavey for 350 is a good deal.

and since you state that you might find the mid frequencies are the "mids" i'd like you to show me where it says mids. don't just point me to the middle knob. It was my bad overall for missing the frequencies on there.

Nevermind man. i misread your post. i'm such a jack***

I vote buy it!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 31, 2008,
I have an old Peavey as well. I have the same EQ problem. Having Mid and Treble at 10 makes no differnce than having it at 1
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Hey, that's kinda like how I did the frequency rename thing! But I disagree with how they renamed them.

Anyway, yeah, that can be a bit goofy - however, the frequency is above the words and that's all that matters.... even if I don't really like the frequencies they're set at.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
ya i hear ya. if you got that many knobs why start at 60? i'd set it to 30-40 for the bottom.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
My school has the exact same amp. It's pretty decent. It's loud and has some tonal variation. It's basically like most amps around that price range, only it can get loud as hell.

I'd say, get it if you can.

- ATB
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

The speaker has 800w handling, that's why it says 800w. Peavey's stuff is always solid, but their new amps seem transparent. Not sure about the older stuff, though. A good amp, yes, but only you can play it and see if it's for you.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I have had a couple of peavey amps.
Both really solid and gave a really nice sound.
I would say thats a good buy.
Peavey is good equipment. this amp is probably designed for keyboard, but should do fine as a bass amp. it has a 4ohm speaker, and produces 200watts at 4ohms.
you could add a second 4ohm cab to get the full 300watts out of 2ohms.
not a bad purchase.