Ok so there are a few that I know about and I'm sure there are also tons that I don't. Can't really afford one but I want keep my eye open so I can try out as many as I can just for the hell of it. Some of the ones I know about are...
Carr
Top Hat
Mojave Ampworks
Cornford
Matchless
Dumble
Trainwreck
VHT
Alessandro
Dr Z
Bad Cat
Anyone know of any other boutique, high end amp companies?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
matamp, metropolis
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
Bogner
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by jcopello
budda, egnater, framus, orange, h&K

I wouldn't consider Orange a boutique company. They're a fairly large company that makes good amps for a price around the market average.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Framus are good but pricey. Worth it though.

I think I have natural talent for guitar because I'm left handed and I use that hand to pleasure myself. Seeing as I started playing after most of intense masturbating-teen years, the dexterity was already there.
Goodsell, 65, Soldano, Fuchs( pronounced foose or fyoose), Koch, Diamond, Savage Audio, Zvex, Emery Audio, and Splawn are all bad ass boutiqe amp makers, I especially love my white Splawn Half stack. Also, Dailey amps, though they're pretty much Marshall clones, albeit amazing Marshall clones.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
When it comes time to treat myself to a boutique amp, it'll most likely be a Swart.

The NY Amp Show is coming back the second Saturday in May, I'll have some new amp ideas that evening.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ashdown
blankenship
brunetti
caa/suhr
carol-ann
demeter
dst
faustine
fryette
germino
heritage
isp?
jaguar
laboga
lee jackson
mad professor
mako
meteoro
peters
port city
prs?
red iron
roccaforte
steavens
thd?
bruno
watkins
wizard

including the ones above and more...

i'll never be able to play them all...
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
These guy's know boutique...

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BGWI&Category_Code=08AM

* 65amps * Accu Groove * AER * Ampeg * Ashdown * Atomic * Bad Cat * Behringer * Bogner * Brunetti * Budda * Burriss * Chicago Blues Box * Crate * Custom Audio Amplifiers * Danelectro / Silvertone * Diamond Amplification * Diaz * Diezel * Divided by Thirteen * Dr. Z * DST Engineering * EBS * Engl * Epifani * Euphonic Audio * Fargen * Fender * Framus * Fuchs * Gallien Krueger * Gibson / Epiphone * Glockenklang * Gretsch * Hartke * HeadRazr * Headstrong * Hiwatt * Hughes & Kettner * Kendrick * Komet * Krank * Line 6 * Mad Professor * Marshall * Matchless * Mesa-Boogie * Mills Acoustics * Misc. Amps * Music Man * Orange * Organ Donor Amps * Peavey * Polytone * Reinhardt * Rivera * Roland * Savage Audio * Schroeder Cabinets * SMF * Smokey * Soldano * Sommatone * Speedster * Suhr Amps * Swart * SWR * THD * Thunderfunk * Tone King * Top Hat * Trace Elliot * Trillium * Two-Rock * Ultrasound * ValveTrain * Van Amps * VHT * Victoria * Vox * Zwengel *
Quote by slappyx
I think engl can be considered as a boutique amp manufacturer too

If you think of "boutique" as handwired amps that are produced in small numbers by a small company, then no.
If you think of "boutique" simply as high-end equipment, then yes.

Quote by jcopello
budda, egnater, framus, orange, h&K

Those aren't exactly "boutique", for the same reasons as Engl. H&K expecially is known to have amps in every price category... they make solid state beginner amps just like they make pro gear. I recommend checking out the H&K custom class amps, that being the TriAmp II, Duotone and Puretone as well as the discontinued ZenTera, if you're into that sort of thing.
The Duotone is imo the best amp for all sorts of rock out there at the moment.

Also check out THC:
http://www.thc-amps.de/

EDIT: Don't dismiss big companies like Fender and Marshall, they still make small runs of handwired amps.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 12, 2009,
First off, some of you guys have no idea what boutique amp means, just because an amp is expensive does not make it a boutique amp. Diezel? Engl? Framus? Orange? Are you kidding me?

And Fender and Marshall make small runs of handwired amps, but part of the whole handwired deal is that you use the best components available, I can't speak on Fender, but the OTs that Marshall puts in their handwired amps still suck balls.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 12, 2009,
Are Diezel amps handwired? If so, then I stand corrected. But I've seen gutshots of all the others and they're not even close to being boutique. That is the first and most important characteristic of a boutique amp.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 12, 2009,
Ah, I see. But then, there is a LOT of controversy around that word. Some people just define "boutique" as something that is high-end and made in small numbers.

No, Diezel amps are not handwired. But to be fair, you know that they are pretty complex amps. Handwiring them would lead to unwanted variations in tone and a pretty ridiculous price tag. Besides, it's a myth that handwired amps sound better than the rest - it's just a question of layout and quality of the parts used.
Diezels are made on the basis of pc-boards, but they are assembled by hand, if that's worth anything. Definitely top-of-the-line equipment if you ask me.
Oh certainly top of the line, I'm not insinuating that an amp has to be handwired to be good, my point is that when something is called "boutique" it generally refers to all tube amps that are handwired with the best available parts.
Resurrected year-old threads ftl!

FWIW, though, I'd agree w/ al112987 re teh hand wiring. I know there's lots of superior uber-high-end amps that use PCBs, like Soldano, Diezel, & Fuchs, but IMO, a truly "boutique" amp should be all hand wired PTP. Just my 2 cents .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I certainly agree with al112987, just because its expensive doesn't make it boutique.

What makes a company boutique to me is a small company that does not mass produce; nearly one man operations like Peters, Splawn, Roccaforte, etc. I don't know about point to point, but certainly handwired and nearly all hand made.

They use all the best parts and give the highest attention to quality. There is generally a certain air of rarity and uncommoness to them.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
one more: Jaguar Amplification. Now it can die!

No, no it can't.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.