how the hell do you do it, like i cant get it down at all, i cant get my picking hand to go in one smooth motion.

ANY TIPS?
Ibanez RGR420EX
B.C. Rich MockingBird w/ EMG 81/85

Peavey Valveking 212 Tube Combo

Electro harmonix Metal Muff
Electro harmonix Big Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
first just work on the motion.

mute your strings and just sweep without trying to fret anything.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Try doing this all the time then do something better than this next time, maybe this will help you.

When I say D you will hit the string down, U hit it upwards then P Pull off

|--------------12-17(12)------------------12-15(12)--------------------12-13(12)------------|
|----------13------------13------------13--------------13------------13-------------13----------|
|------14--------------------14----14---------------------14-----14---------------------14------|\
|--12----------------------------12----------------------------12-----------------------------12--| 3x
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|/
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D D D D U P U U U D D D U P U U U D D D U P U U U

Ok to make it more easier just click here.
Last edited by Liger02 at Mar 31, 2008,
starting with 4 string sweeps without even having the motion down is complete stupidity.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Try this basic one first and then move on.

|-------9h12p9-------|
|---10-----------10---|
|-9------------------9-|
|-----------------------|

Make sure you nail it fully before you move on. Also move your picking hand like youre doing an arpeggio. Thats what worked for me.
Quote by nvranka
starting with 4 string sweeps without even having the motion down is complete stupidity.

I started with a 4 3 2 1 pattern across 4 strings... Worked well for me.
Quote by Post?Organic
I started with a 4 3 2 1 pattern across 4 strings... Worked well for me.

May work for you, but maybe not for others, majority of people when learning a new technique will have trouble getting the motion down, especially sweeping because it's hard to get the smooth motion of sweep picking as opposed to the accurate controlled picking of normal lead playing.

Paul Gilbert said at his Guitar Clinic on 2/03/08 that he himself didn't make much rhythmic sense of sweep picking, he said that going up and down like that doesn't really give him much control, that's why his playing isn't full of sweep picking, but some pieces have alot. yet he doesn't use it THAT much like MAB or Becker
Quote by XianXiuHong
May work for you, but maybe not for others, majority of people when learning a new technique will have trouble getting the motion down, especially sweeping because it's hard to get the smooth motion of sweep picking as opposed to the accurate controlled picking of normal lead playing.

Exactly... And with 4 strings I found it worked well for practise. Just had to throw it out there, because it isn't "stupidity" as the other poster so kindly put it. Why not try both? One way isn't going to work for everyone...
Quote by Post?Organic
Exactly... And with 4 strings I found it worked well for practise. Just had to throw it out there, because it isn't "stupidity" as the other poster so kindly put it. Why not try both? One way isn't going to work for everyone...

I know what you mean, when I first tried learning sweep picking, I looked at the 5 string A-Major arpeggio and went "COOL"

I just practiced that sweep for hours on end and I managed to pull off a decent 5 string sweep (Still a bit sloppy) but when I tried simpler 3 string sweeps, it sounded like crap.
Quality over Quantity! Don't try it full speed, instead, do it EXTREMELY SLOW for a bit, and gradually speed up, but make sure you're getting the motion down!