Page 1 of 2
For violin and singing - pretty well.
Guitar/Piano - alright.

Treble clef a little bit better the bass clef.

There's always room for improvement.
Since my first love was piano, and my current love is prog, yes. I can read it quite well, actually.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I can read sheet music, but I can't really sight-read properly. I do like to have sheet music alongside tab though cause I read the rhythm off sheet better. Sheet music doesn't show notes at the extremities in a way that's easy to read like tab does I reckon.
classic musician joke-
how do you get a guitarist to turn his rig down?
put music in front of him

and absolutely true
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
I can read treble clef enough to sight read jingle bells...anything harder than that I have to decipher note by note. I should really get off my lazy ass and work on that.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Nope, but I am learning to read music notes. IMO Music notes are the alphabet of music.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
I can read music very well, just I am not terribly great at pointing at a fret on the guitar and saying "That's a C" or whatever. I know the notes for the first four or so frets of each string, though.
I read treble and bass clef for playing keyboard in my band.
I used to think I couldn't sight read, then I realised that I had my standard grade (gcse, just scottish) music exam one day, and I hadn't practiced atall. So I just sight read my way to victory, and I got the best possible grade!
I originally learned music properly when I played saxaphone. But after then I got into guitar, and after a few years of not using music, only using tab and my ears. So i fell out of knowing music. But i was able to remember the bare bones, and that makes now a ****load easier, since i'm doing full time music course working towards adv. Diploma.
Most of the people in the course don't know anything.

As I said though, over the past few yeras i've been focusing more on theory, so I can read music a lot better than before, and makes everything easier. But always room for a lot of improvement.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Just.
I know the notes like EGBDF (ever good boy deserves fudge/fruit) And FACE
I'm slowly learning the timing of the notes.

I know tab. I don't know if its like already made or something but i though up this thing where you put the note timing over the numbers of the fretts on the tab ans write the number next to it, that helps me a bit to learn that.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
not anymore

i used to site read when i was in grade 10 band.. but that was almost.. 10 years ago?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i can. thats how i ended up with an A in my Intro to Music class. ahahaha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I understand pretty much fully how to read it. I just never ever use it, thus I am extremely slow.
Quote by Professor Grill
I can read music very well, just I am not terribly great at pointing at a fret on the guitar and saying "That's a C" or whatever. I know the notes for the first four or so frets of each string, though.
I read treble and bass clef for playing keyboard in my band.
I used to think I couldn't sight read, then I realised that I had my standard grade (gcse, just scottish) music exam one day, and I hadn't practiced atall. So I just sight read my way to victory, and I got the best possible grade!

Yup. That's me

I can use sheet music for piano, but I still need to work the notes out for guitar.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

I began learning how to read music, but then I quit guitar lessons and really had no ambition for the "boring" stuff. Even though it's kind of cool to be able to pick up sheet music and play it on your guitar instead of staring at it like a nimwit and breaking out into a sweat because you wish they had tabs instead.
All your base are belong to us.
Yes, I can read music, but I never bothered learning any guitar theory really, so it takes me a while to realise where on the guitar it wants me to play it. Like, I can look at the sheet and see that it's a middle C, but it'd take me a moment to figure out where that is. Guess that's what happens when you learn piano first.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
After a couple years of really getting it down, I could read pretty well, though not perfect. In the past few years, I have pretty much totally forgotten how to read it, since I never use it :/, though I still remember most of the basics.
I can read really well been learning piano since i was 8

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
I can read music fairly well, but lack of using sheet music means it's harder when im suddenly confronted with it. Hoping to start learning the piano soon though. So that should help.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
I cant read the notes, but I can read the timing.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Ergin
I can't read music, i have music dyslexia.

HA, I get that reference, nicely done. As for the actual reading of music, I can read Bass clef no problems being a Trombone player, but I always seem to get the treble backwards. I use music to play guitar over tabs, but I sometimes change keys in some songs cause I forget I'm playing in treble and not bass lol.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I started with piano, but quit 2 years ago. I can read music yes, but my sight reading skills diminished a lot.

The only problem is, I can't read music and apply it to the guitar. I mean, I know the note I'm playing most of the time, but I moslty memorize scale patterns, rather than the notes in the scales I learn. And since there's tab, there's no point.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I can, although I take a while. I scored below average on my piano sight reading exam, but very highly on all the other sections. I don't know all the notes on a guitar so it takes even longer.
I can read the notes but it takes me about 10 seconds to figure out what the note is, and then another 20 seconds to figure out where the note is on the guitar. I should learn how to read music because everytime I go to my nana's house she asks me if I can read it, and then she goes on about how I have to learn it otherwise I'll never be a good guitarist... Stupid nana.
Well so far I am self-taught. So I learned the basic notes, I have learned where EVERY note can be found on the guitar. But I can't read it myself. I play by feel so i never really needed that skill, I mean how often do you really see a guitarist stand on a stage with a sheet music book? Never! I have never seen anyone do that.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by ibanezFTW
I can read the notes but it takes me about 10 seconds to figure out what the note is, and then another 20 seconds to figure out where the note is on the guitar. I should learn how to read music because everytime I go to my nana's house she asks me if I can read it, and then she goes on about how I have to learn it otherwise I'll never be a good guitarist... Stupid nana.

I know what you mean. My grandpa says the same thing, but the is amazed at how I can find the notes fast, but cant read it. I dont really care he plays his gospel stuff, and I play heavy metal & Shred. So we don't see eye-to-eye on music.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
After nine years of saxophone, yes I can read it, but I haven't learned bass clef, not that I really need to. I like guitar music that has both the sheet music and tab. That makes it a lot easier for me to pick up new songs. Though people who can't read music shouldn't feel bad, when music was written for the guitar at it's begining, it was written in tab.
I'm quite good @ sheet music....give a guitar piece only in notes and I play it for ya,theory FTW!!!
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Quote by onemanarmy9
HA, I get that reference, nicely done. As for the actual reading of music, I can read Bass clef no problems being a Trombone player, but I always seem to get the treble backwards. I use music to play guitar over tabs, but I sometimes change keys in some songs cause I forget I'm playing in treble and not bass lol.

Ah, a fellow Trombone player

I'm also a bit like you, can read bass clef without any problems, my trombone teacher has even praised me for being very good at reading rhythms and notes. Given some time I can figure out the notes on the treble clef too, but I'm not nearly as fluent reading notes as in bass clef; I need several seconds to figure out a note, by counting from a note position I already know, compared to bass clef where I can tell the note instantly.

But I still have to associate the notes with positions on the neck, for now I have to think which fret and string to push down for each note.
Im grade 3 music theory... So yes.

But being able to sit there an play it on guitar... Well that takes me sometime... I really need to learn the notes of the fretboard..
I could sit there and play on piano or such though. Providing it isnt too complicated.
Page 1 of 2