I've finally taken a basic musicmanship class. And now it's finally all coming together. But I was just wondering if anyone knew whats the relationship between the guitar strings?

Like the standard tuning is EADGBE. So what's the distance between the E and A string? Is it an octave or two or something? (I know E to A straight is four steps but since they're different strings....... i dunno anymore )

The reason why I want to know is because I want to start playing some basic chords (triads) on my guitar. Any help would be awesome.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail.....
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn.... We fucked up."
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
A guitar is tuned to 4ths.

Except the B. It's a third so playing chords is possible.
yes, the guitar is tuned in 4ths, with the distance between the 3rd and 2nd string being a 3rd.

i beleive your question is slightly different, because you are asking if there is a difference when you cross strings.... the answer is no. When building chords you treat the open A string the same as the 5th fret E string.

There are differences in sound 'quality' (i think its know as timbre) but the note is the same
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something.

Could someone explain what this symbol means on a guitar tab /7
im trying to learn Enter Sandman by Metallica and im already confused as to what it means, its pretty much just after the intro.

Thanks
/ is a slide
like 5/7
hit the 5th fret and move you finger up to the 7th fret while keeping it pressed down on the string
yeah you guys are right. E to A straight is 5 semitones. = P man..... late nights....

oh okay so the timbre is diff but musically they're treated the same. Alright thxs everyone. keep on rocking.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail.....
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn.... We fucked up."
All the strings are tuned in fouths, except the B, which is tuned a fifth from G.
hue