Ok so sometime this week one of my mums workfriends son might be coming over so i can show hime some stuff (He just got a new guitar). He dosnt know any songs at the moment so im going to show him a few.

So far i have...
-Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
-Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
-All The Small Things - Bilnk 182

What else should i show him? He will be over for an hour so 10 minutes learning the riffs for each song and practising i will only have killed 30 mins.

Any more sugestions?

PS: The guy wont be interested in learning anything like palm muting, alternate picking or schales at the moment so dont suggest that.
The Fade to Black intro solo isn't too hard.
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
more blink 182 and some green day. any song is good, ones off the recent album like american idiot and holiday will impress him
How about you teach him some chords and make some progressions out of them?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
basically anything ACDC...easy as hell and will sound good...so itll keep him interested.

I hate blink 182 green day and all ofthose other lame bands...so im not going to suggest them.

Maybe show him some offspring riffs? staring at the sun is an ok song, iirc/
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by Alter-Bridge
How about you teach him some chords and make some progressions out of them?

I dont think hes going to want to know chords or anything like that. He just got a guitar and i think hes just going to want to learn some songs that people will recognize.

But if we have time and hes got all the riffs down i will show him chords/scales etc.
Quote by nvranka
basically anything ACDC...easy as hell and will sound good...so itll keep him interested.

I hate blink 182 green day and all ofthose other lame bands...so im not going to suggest them.

Maybe show him some offspring riffs? staring at the sun is an ok song, iirc/

Ah i knew i forgot a song of that list Highway To Hell perhaps?
Teach him the blues, get some blues lessons and scales from the lessons page here at UG, and print them for him. Start him out practicing correct, it's always great learning songs right off the bat, but if he doesn't learn the basics he's ****ed in the future. Seriously, if I could start guitar all over with no knowledge of the past, I would start off playing the blues. The blues are the best to learn first IMO.
Sugar - System of a Down
Darts - System of a Down
Deer Dance - System of a Down (may be a little tricky cuz of the speed)
Instead of that, melt his brains by shredding.

OR, if you'd rather not do that, show him songs from bands that he likes, if you have guitar pro on your computer, just download the tab and play it along with the song when he asks for the song and he'll surely be interested.
Quote by aeliustehman
The Fade to Black intro solo isn't too hard.

wtf are you talking about im still having a bit of trouble with the sweeping part.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by XianXiuHong
If you're talking about the intro, then that's really easy.

The solo's going to take a bit of work though.

Well this guy dosnt know ANYTHING. He got it like... yesterday.
Hmm, well if you want to really motivate him, if you have a nice playing guitar, you could hand it to him for a minute or two and let him noodle around for a bit with a few power-chords and let him compare to his crappy guitar and tell him if he gets really good he can buy a guitar like that?

Just try not to make him think his guitar's crap and the only way to sound/play well is having a nice guitar.

Go through a simple movie melody...like the mission impossible theme, or the simpsons theme, something he likes.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Hmm, well if you want to really motivate him, if you have a nice playing guitar, you could hand it to him for a minute or two and let him noodle around for a bit with a few power-chords and let him compare to his crappy guitar and tell him if he gets really good he can buy a guitar like that?

Just try not to make him think his guitar's crap and the only way to sound/play well is having a nice guitar.

Go through a simple movie melody...like the mission impossible theme, or the simpsons theme, something he likes.

Ah that will be a good one to show him (simpsons theme) I started playing that a few days ago. Not very hard aswell.

I have a pretty good guitar (ltd ex-50) I know its not great but compare it to his strat copy it should be pretty good. I also have an epic amp. I think il let him mess around with my gear abut trying out a few things so he will get the hang of it.

Should i bother telling him about the EQ settings? i mean like should i go in detail?

as in "Cut mids, boost bass and treble for a metallica' etc.
Quote by the_poison125
Ah that will be a good one to show him (simpsons theme) I started playing that a few days ago. Not very hard aswell.

I have a pretty good guitar (ltd ex-50) I know its not great but compare it to his strat copy it should be pretty good. I also have an epic amp. I think il let him mess around with my gear abut trying out a few things so he will get the hang of it.

Should i bother telling him about the EQ settings? i mean like should i go in detail?

as in "Cut mids, boost bass and treble for a metallica' etc.

Maybe after you show him a little bit, just to get him interested, then go into a LITTLE detail, like what they do, then crank up the treble or whatever and show him what it does.

Tell him the difference between clean/distorted playing aswell.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Maybe after you show him a little bit, just to get him interested, then go into a LITTLE detail, like what they do, then crank up the treble or whatever and show him what it does.

Tell him the difference between clean/distorted playing aswell.

Ok so i think i have enough to kill an hour

A few songs, What the diferent buttons and settings do and if theres time left scales, chords etc.

Thnaks guys.

(Im still open to suggestions though )