Ok my computer is currently windows 2000, and i was hoping to upgrade to Windows XP. Now if i just get the disk it shouldn't do anything to files i already have on here should it? And also do you need a password for it?

has no signature.
hmm try mac
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
hmm try mac
/thread

fixed
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Burning Star 4
hmm try mac

Wouldn't that mean i have to buy a whole other computer. And i have heard mac are ****.

has no signature.
Dont listen to the fools above me. (except for saphrax)

Go get a linux distro, its free and practically designed for old computers. The only difference is it takes some intelligence and common sense to run. If you dont have any, then Macs are the way to go! (after $1500 on a white monstrosity is paid for)
Quote by saphrax
You would keep all the files. It'll just do an "upgrade" install. You may need the admin password to to the install of the new OS, but otherwise you should be fine.

What is an admin password? If i got a friends version could i still use it?

has no signature.
Heres something for you mac fanboys to suck on:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=20824

Edit: Just so I do actually contribute something to the thread: No, your files will be fine. I doubt you'll need a password for anything but you will have to create a user account on XP (unless it carries them over from 2000, not sure if it does)
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Axeman99 at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by 11223344554433
Wouldn't that mean i have to buy a whole other computer. And i have heard mac are ****.

They are.

Ignore the computer illiterate morons who added nothing to the thread who should be warned, if anything, for spamming it with their unintelligible drivel.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by 11223344554433
What is an admin password? If i got a friends version could i still use it?

Anyone know?

has no signature.
Quote by Burning Star 4
hmm try mac

Macs aren't for everyone, but hey, this thread has already turned into a big mac vs windows war.

i'd have thought installing XP would delete all your data?
| Zesty Spikey |
Quote by 11223344554433
Anyone know?

Just make sure you are logged on as an administrator on 2000 before you start the XP installation and you'll be fine.

Edit: ^ No it doesn't.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Macs are overpriced monstrosities with little or no real compatability for software, also, they suck compared to normal computers and fits only for fags who tries to look intelligent, but fails miserably.
Linux also have little or no compatability for software, but they are better than Mac IMO, because you won't have to pay for less. It works fine when it comes to simple tasks and as a server tool, but otherwise you won't find much use for it.
Windows has the most compatability for most software and are also most fitting for todays use, but can be a pain in the ass sometimes. But if you are going to get a new computer/OS I will definetly recommend you to get either Windows XP or Vista. XP if you do not want to have to much trouble, and Vista if you know how to configure it. Using Vista with a good configuration is much better than XP in my exprience, but not all people know how to configure it properly, and fails miseribly, thinking it to be the worst crap ever, however if you want crap, then try Me. If I ever have to use that again, I swear I am going to kill myself.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Nothing will happen to the files unless, and I'm pretty sure you can install XP without needing a password, except for your product key of course.

EDIT: Stop suggesting macs you tools. He asked for help about upgrading to XP, not suggestions for new OS's.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by 11223344554433
Anyone know?

If you get a friends version of XP you will run in to problems as you need a license from M$. The license key (that comes as a sticker in the packaging) will presumably have been used on your friends machine and won't be accepted by M$.

If your friend is no longer using their version of XP there is a chance that M$ will allow you to install XP and use the license again. However M$ records the hardware that each version of XP is installed on so if you computer is even marginally different from your friends it will refuse to accept the key. The install will tell you call M$ tech support. There is a good chance that if you say that your computer blew up and you are rebuilding the motherboard, HD and gfx card that they will give you a new license. M$ knows the town that the previous version of XP was installed in as well so if your friend lives out of town they will know something weird is going on. It's worth a try.... although a copy of XP home is only £50 in the UK, it's not really that expensive so you may save more money by just buying it.

NOTE: if your friends copy of XP is an OEM copy (came with hardware) there is less chance M$ will allow you to move it to new hardware.

NOTE: if your friends copy of XP is 'cracked' that all bets are off. It may install but you will not get updates from M$ and you will get your arse kicked by a virus etc at some point.

Any probs then get back to the forum or PM me.

PS: I'm a mac user, we're not all pushers

Good luck.
^
He'll be able to install it with the same key as his friend. He won't be able to get updates from ms that's all.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by Hells_Bell
^
He'll be able to install it with the same key as his friend. He won't be able to get updates from ms that's all.

Oh, OK. That's different from my experience were if you enter a key that is already in use it refuses to 'validate' windows and you only get three days to validate it. Admittedly it's been a few years since I last did it.
Just install XP under the admin account.
If it asks you during the installation wether you would like to overwrite the partition make sure you choose no, otherwise your files could be all deleted. If it only allows you to create a new partition, just do that.

You'll just need the authentication code which comes with the installation CD.

I wouldn't recommend Vista but it's a personal thing I suppose.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm not too sure if it will work but if i just log in as an admin on this one i should be right yeah? or will i need some kind of key crap.

has no signature.
Quote by 11223344554433
Anyone know?

you can't instal windows on 2 different pc's even if you don't use one of them any more. I had much trouble with it.
go and buy your own licensed cd of windows xp and have fun

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Macs are no better than PC...I run Macs at work, PCs at school and home....ive crashed both many times doing video editing type work.

Macs just sell more because of the name but they are higher in price for what you get. I do think they are better for a music setup (recording type stuff) but only in the high end studios.

I would say back up everything to a firewire or usb hard drive.
go to the store and get a box of XP...dont try doing it without that...

make sure your computer has enough RAM and processor power
I was told you can't buy XP anymore so i can't really buy it can i?

has no signature.
Quote by Burning Star 4
hmm try mac

try a shotgun

/mac noob

theadstarter: possibly no. when you install xp you will probably end up formatting your drive so you will have to back your files up
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by 11223344554433
I was told you can't buy XP anymore so i can't really buy it can i?

you can still buy XP you just need to hunt around a little, here is a UK link XPHome on Ebuyer but you should be able to find it where ever you are

good luck