Page 1 of 2
I was thinking Explorer with EMG pickups through a Peavy Valveking 212 . What else?
Gear:

2004 PRS Swamp Ash Special
Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
I mean what other Combinations of Gibson guitars and amps could I use for that Metallica-like sound?
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
No I'm pretty sure all you need is a wah pedal.

There's probably a kajillion combinations. None of them I know, except that they involve a wah pedal. Sorry.
Maybe aVox AD30VT or AD50VT also they sound really cool. Plus I was thinking about putting EMGs in a Les Paul Classic or standard.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
How about just put EMGs in whatever, run that through a wah pedal into an amp with a distortion. It could work.
Quote by Post?Organic
How about just put EMGs in whatever, run that through a wah pedal into an amp with a distortion. It could work.

I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.And why you so obsessed?
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Almost every post- Black Album solo has a wah in it.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

I laughed And don't you dare ruin a LP standard by putting EMG's in it!! The explorer or flying V would be the best choices I think, and I'm not sure on what album but they used Mesa Boogie amps exclusively for a period.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by aeliustehman

You obviously have not heard a Kirk Hammet solo. WAHHHH.
Quote by musicalfish
Almost every post- Black Album solo has a wah in it.

I was looking into playing stuff from St.Anger, Ride the Lightning and Black Album mostly.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by Post?Organic
Well obviously you need a wah then.

So an Explorer Ebony with EMGs into a wah pedal into a Peavey Valveking 212. Sound fair?
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
K I just found the secret.

Mesa Duel Recto!

You need Five Straight Mesa Standard Recto 4x12 Cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers.

A Les Paul

AND FIVE WAH PEDALS!! YOU SEE THAT?? OMG.

EDIT : KIRK HAMMETT GEAR PICTURE IS BROKEN. THIS IS GOING TO RUIN MY POST.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Mar 31, 2008,
Because that will be cheap and I have 30 million dollars to my name.

/endsarcasm
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Well you gave me no price limit. Maybe you can cut down to 3 Cabs and 4 Wahs if you need. It also helps if you are Kirk Hammett.
Quote by Post?Organic
Well you gave me no price limit. Maybe you can cut down to 3 Cabs and 4 Wahs if you need. It also helps if you are Kirk Hammett.

Price limit for all this = $500 on an amp and pedal.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
Price limit for all this = $500 on an amp and pedal.

Why spend so little on an amp when you are buying a $1000+ guitar and sucking all the tone out of it with EMGs.
Quote by Post?Organic

Can we buy Kirk Hammet? How much is he?
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
You'll also need James Hetfield's and Kirk Hammet's hands, their recording studio, their producer, their cables, picks, effect pedal setup, amp settings, cabs, strings, spot where they hit their strings, the exact way they hold their picks, and pretty much be them with their equipment.

Just go to a store and look for a guitar that feels right to YOU, and an amp that sounds good to YOU. Don't look for someone else's tone.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Post?Organic
Why spend so little on an amp when you are buying a $1000+ guitar and sucking all the tone out of it with EMGs.

I don't plan on using the clean tone, but James Hetfield used EMGs on his X-Plorer and my friend has the exact same thing and it sounds really good distorted.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
I don't plan on using the clean tone, but James Hetfield used EMGs on his X-Plorer and my friend has the exact same thing and it sounds really good distorted.

/facepalm
James uses and pretty much always has used a custom shop ESP, not a Gibson Explorer. Definitely spend more on the amp than the guitar, get a Peavey, but not a Valveking, something like a JSX. Then buy a cheaper guitar and put an EMG 81-Active set in it (If you aren't going to use te cleans. Wah pedal has been mentioned and Kirk uses an Ibanez TS9 too, not sure which production run though.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
/facepalm
James uses and pretty much always has used a custom shop ESP, not a Gibson Explorer. Definitely spend more on the amp than the guitar, get a Peavey, but not a Valveking, something like a JSX. Then buy a cheaper guitar and put an EMG 81-Active set in it (If you aren't going to use te cleans. Wah pedal has been mentioned and Kirk uses an Ibanez TS9 too, not sure which production run though.

I'm not buying the guitar. I'm getting any kind of gibson free.So what's wrong with the Explorer? Plus I know James doesn't use a gibson, but he still had Active EMGs in his, and the clean sound was still good , and yes I know just because it's an explorer it doesn't sound the same but still, I'm not spending any money so yea.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
I'm getting a gibson explorer very soon and I will also be putting EMGs in it. Should sound good for playing Metallica if that's what you're into.

Quote by Witch-king
I'm getting a gibson explorer very soon and I will also be putting EMGs in it. Should sound good for playing Metallica if that's what you're into.

THANK YOU. Yes my friend has done it and I've seen people playing Metallica and Slipknot through Valveking 212 Amp and it sounds awesome with this guitar.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
I'm not buying the guitar. I'm getting any kind of gibson free.So what's wrong with the Explorer? Plus I know James doesn't use a gibson, but he still had Active EMGs in his, and the clean sound was still good , and yes I know just because it's an explorer it doesn't sound the same but still, I'm not spending any money so yea.

/Double facepalm.
You can get ANY Gibson for free and you're getting an Explorer?!
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
/Double facepalm.

Well I don't want to ruin a beautiful Les Paul with EMGs unless I know it will sound better than this.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Quote by aeliustehman
Well I don't want to ruin a beautiful Les Paul with EMGs unless I know it will sound better than this.

Then get the most expensive one you can, sell it, and buy a nice amp with a decent guitar.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
Then get the most expensive one you can, sell it, and buy a nice amp with a decent guitar.

Haha I wouldn't do that because where I live I'd have to travel about 4 hours to get to a store that probably wouldn't have gibsons.
Gear:

Peavey Valveking 212
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Line 6 UX2
Get a used 5150 combo if that is your amp budget. It will be loud as hell and melt faces.
is anyone forgetting the most important metallica pedal????
get a chorus pedal, metallica use it for virtually every clean part
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW
Quote by aeliustehman

Kirk Hammett (from Metallica) pretty much uses it in every solo
Quote by Ichimaru
/Double facepalm.

"facepalm" at your fucking shit advice. my god you're a faggot. I feel sorry for the thread starter getting such terrible advice in this thread.

Quote by aeliustehman
I was looking into playing stuff from St.Anger, Ride the Lightning and Black Album mostly.

That's an unusual choice. Go for the Vox, it gets a good metallica tone. After that, all you need is a wah pedal, Kirk uses it in every other song, and every song on the Black Album.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by cocacolabottle
I laughed And don't you dare ruin a LP standard by putting EMG's in it!! The explorer or flying V would be the best choices I think, and I'm not sure on what album but they used Mesa Boogie amps exclusively for a period.

overpriced lp standard

put the emgs in it
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Well they weren't using Mesa on the two first albums. Try and score a Marshall or something that sounds like it. Although it would be kind of tough to replicate that sound as Marshalls made in that era were among the best.
Gibson.
Page 1 of 2