Hey guys i'm kinda new at electric guitar

what are effects pedals used for and how do they work?

I thought the amps had all the effects on them

THANKS!!
There's a bunch.

Distortion makes distortion. I don't how else to describe it lol. Amps usually do this.

Reverb.. Room does this.

Delay.. Makes echoey sounding dealios.

Phaser.. Goes Wooooosshhhhhhh like the 80's.

Wah.. Listen to Kirk Hammet solos for this one.

Usually amps don't do all this, except for a few. Though you can get multieffects units that'll do most of it. Or just buy individual pedals.
pedals just change the sound of the guitar, just by stamping on them. They work by modifying the signal created by your guitar's pickups.
They make it easier to change sounds mid song, i.e from clean to distorted
Quote by ldnovelo2
That guy Rhys90 is one of the greatest computer genius out there and we must found a religion to honor him
some amps have effects on them. it's easier to get pedals, though, because you can just step on it. i think these guys summed it up pretty good, there are so many effects out there, but the most common ones are stuff like distortion, wah, reverb, etc.
I use a boss ml-2 metal core its awesome but if you buy an amp with enough distortion you do not really need any pedals.....mabye a wah
Quote by Post?Organic
Phaser.. Goes Wooooosshhhhhhh like the 80's.

Loi, love that description.
Pedals are great fun, but they can't make you play better. If you have the playing down, then go to some music stores, and drive the sales guys crazy. Try as many as you can before they give you that "I'm done with you look". Pedals used well can help give you a "signature" sound, and that is why you have to know what you want to sound like. Nobody here can tell you that, unless you just want to be another sheep guitarist.
Quote by chokmool
Pedals are great fun, but they can't make you play better. If you have the playing down, then go to some music stores, and drive the sales guys crazy. Try as many as you can before they give you that "I'm done with you look". Pedals used well can help give you a "signature" sound, and that is why you have to know what you want to sound like. Nobody here can tell you that, unless you just want to be another sheep guitarist.

i'll have to try that.
Quote by chokmool

exactly. lots of people think if you use a ton of effects, you're good. there are many great guitarists who never use anything besides distortion and are way better than guitarists with 20 different effects in a song. of course, i'm not saying effects are bad, they ARE fun, but they're no substitution for good playing ability.
Quote by james9119
ok so how much should i spend on pedals and how do you connect them to amp

You don't have to spend anything - there's no point buying pedals for the hell of it, people buy them because they need that particular sound.

What amp are you currently using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You don't have to spend anything - there's no point buying pedals for the hell of it, people buy them because they need that particular sound.

What amp are you currently using?

yeah, just going out as a beginner and buying stuff isn't a good idea. become more familiar with what sound you like, and don't just go buying stuff randomly.
most of all these suggestions are right on. but here is my opinion.
true - effects pedals will not make you better, but it might help keep your interest which will make you play more which will make you better.

what i did was got a multi-effects pedal because i didn't know what i wanted or what all these various effects could do. I got a DigitTech RP250 for $150 bucks, which is about what most of all these single pedals cost so you can get a lot of different sounds in one and then start to learn what effects you like most, in what combination etc. It has Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Distortion, Phaser, Flanger, Wah and an Expression pedal to which is great with Wah Wah. It also has true bypass and a tuner (both of which i use a lot). Oh, and software and USB so you can download more stuff and also record to computer with 3rd party software apps like Audacity.net

Just my 2 cents.
agree... they won't make yr playin better... they'll just add some good tone to yr music... so it'll not sound boring...

actually

here are the main effects...

I'd say get Distortion... Reverb a nd Delay..

As you'll know distortion distortes yr sound... reverb sounds liek yr playin in a big empty room... delay records yr playin and repeat after some time

Other effects.... Octaver just get's yr sound an octave higher or lower and mix with normal sound...

Pitch pedal affects on yr pitch

Flanger and PHazers are affecting yr hmm hard to explain... to yr treble bas and that kindastuff i'd say... (nto actually but)...

hmm tremolo affects yr volume... it make it lower and higher.... auto volume pedal id say

hmm vibrate is something liek auto pitch pedal...

Wah affects yr treble.. it make yr sound like if yr gutiar where sayin Wah-wah... there's also a Ya-Ya peda.. (by Digitech)

hmm and both got auto versions...

the overdrive fuzz and grunge are sorts of distortion btw

hmm what have i missed??
if you want to see what effects do, I suggest buying a relatively cheap multi fx unit, like a digitech RP 150. these aren't really that great in terms of sound quality, but they will let you mess around with a lot of effects for a low price until you decide to invest in some quality stomp boxes.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Omg that is a great app

Being a graphic developed I can tell the guy who made that application is really really good. I have no clue how that was done. Much respect to the author of virtual amp software
goto to digitech's site and find the RP250 for example. run the Preset Demo. once that is up, put it in Pedal Mode instead of XEdit. See the Presets on the left in green? Click one. try #19 MetalHead or #23 Greaser and tell me what YOU think. I realize you will be listening thru computer speakers and this stuff is not like the real thing but it definitely got me goin.
^ya - nyandres, and it looks like he has some other cool stuff i haven't gotten to yet. i was amazed at quickly it downloaded, i didn't catch the size but it is not that big file wise. i like how you can click a pedal and it lights up in the chain, the 'cable' connects, and you can fiddle with the tone props. funny, i turned everything off and i still get a crackle every now and then but no = biggie. PROPS TO NEM !!!!!!!!!!!
It depends on who I'm playing with. I use some very basic stuff. I've found certain pedals can help me get a broader sound, or a specific genre of sound. If I'm playing some funky stuff, I have an old Morley Volume/Wah. With three piece bands, I sometimes use the trinity of compressor/digital delay/ stereo chorus. I also have a Phase Shifter and an Octave handy. I may carry all of these around with me, but I only hook up what I really need. If I'm playing with a really good pounding system(great bass and drummer), I often go naked, and just try to play my ___ off.
with different settings on each pedal, you can make it sound similar to other pedals. i have my flanger set up to sound like a chorus, but i just turn everything all the way up on my distortion.

for me, it depends on what i feel like playing. usually i use all my stuff (distortion, flanger, wah), but sometimes i'll just use distortion.