Page 1 of 2
Here's what I hate with a passion: My NUMBER ONE YouTube amp/pedal demo video complaints:

YouTube high-gain amp demos:

1. The guitarist plays the "clean" channel for about 8 billion minutes (or 90% of the clip, whichever comes first), and then the LAST thing he does is play teh br00talz . . . for about 15 seconds. Don't those f*ckers know most of us want to know how brutal the amp can get FIRST? Like RIGHT AWAY?

2. They RARELY, if EVER, play any palm-mutes or "chugs." Mostly, NEVER.

YouTube distortion pedal demos:

1. The guitarist will "explain" the pedal for about 8 billion minutes (or 90% of the clip, whichever comes first), then continue to "demo" the bypass mode for about 8 billion minutes (or 90% of the clip, whichever comes first), and then, he'll play all the "blues-ey" settings for another billion minutes, and then, FINALLY, the LAST thing he does is put the pedal in "teh brootalz" mode . . . for about 12 seconds.

American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

The biggest problem I have is that any amp demo invariably involves someone playing the most generic rhythm riffs possible for five minutes. I want to hear the amp with a variety of different EQ settings, with different styles of rhythm and lead playing. How the hell am I supposed to get an idea of what it sounds like when you're just hitting power chords?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I hate YouTube amp/pedal demo videos just because they suck (sound quality-wise).

Honestly, most of them have just awful, and I mean totally awful sound quality. There are some good ones now and then but still.

Of course the compression plays a role in here too.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Yeah, most of the time "video" means a camera mic is used. I prefer Mp3's recorded with quallity mic's. You know what it looks like already, you wanna hear it.

Oh and explanations of what's going on.. Settings, channels.. etc..
These go to eleven...
Quote by Archeo Avis
The biggest problem I have is that any amp demo invariably involves someone playing the most generic rhythm riffs possible for five minutes. I want to hear the amp with a variety of different EQ settings, with different styles of rhythm and lead playing. How the hell am I supposed to get an idea of what it sounds like when you're just hitting power chords?
I understand your point; however, I just searched about a billion YouTube videos for Mesa/Boogie DC-series and Mark IV demos, since I was about to buy a Mesa/Boogie amp online. Guess what? Not ONE power chord! And, 99% of the clips were played "clean." I have no idea how brutal the amp I just bought can get (that model is now discontinued, so I can't demo it anywhere).

Quote by Fama
I hate YouTube amp/pedal demo videos just because they suck (sound quality-wise).
True. And I knew that would be a common complaint. But even if the fidelity isn't there, you can still get a sense of the character of the amp/pedal. But if they simply don't play it (or play it only for a few seconds . . . and only at the end), you can't.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 31, 2008,
I can't tell you how much I agree with you TS.
I was just thinking about this the other day.

They never show what it can do!

I've actually seen reviews on metal pedals and amps when the guy played blues the whole time, and never fully cranked it...at all...
Quote by -Collapse-
I've actually seen reviews on metal pedals and amps when the guy played blues the whole time, and never fully cranked it...at all...
EXACTLY! Doesn't that just drive you nuts???

If its more of an official review from an old guy who's reviewing a high-gain amp or distortion pedal, then its more likely they wont play metal on it cause THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO. It bugs me how adult players can ONLY play blues and what not. Or when they try to play metal they just play crap, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68_7sePvUc
The thing I hate the most about Youtube demos is the whining about them that goes on. If the demo doesn't cover what you want, go out and try the amp/guitar/pedal yourself. People put their own time into making demos that they feel will help give an idea of the amp. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it.
Quote by Denthúl
The thing I hate the most about Youtube demos is the whining about them that goes on. If the demo doesn't cover what you want, go out and try the amp/guitar/pedal yourself. People put their own time into making demos that they feel will help give an idea of the amp. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it.
Denthúl, I respect your opinion here quite a bit, and I agree, about the whining . . . But as you know, most boutique amps/pedals are impossible to demo due to logistics, etc. I was desperate with the whole Mesa/Boogie thing tonight, and it was driving me mad. I couldn't find a single clip of a goddamned power chord!!! I finally just said, f*ck it, and just clicked "buy it now." Who the f*ck knows if a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 can do teh br00talz or not? What else am I gonna do? Rely on Harmony Central reviews??? If my solo playing were a bit more accomplished, I would do my part and make some demos myself.

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by LEVEL4

That annoys me the most.

"OK, so this is the kind of tone you'll get from this metal distortion pedal:"

*shred shred tap sweep*

OR

*completely irrelevant blues*

I want to know what it fucking sounds like for RHYTHM, you cunt. I don't care how good you are at guitar.
lol they spend 5 hours intoducing themselves >>>ohh i havent done a demo in aaages<<< and it doesnt matter because an all tube orange amp sounds worse than an MG when its recorded on a webcam.
Dancing In Your Dust
Quote by LEVEL4
Denthúl, I respect your opinion here quite a bit, and I agree, about the whining . . . But as you know, most boutique amps/pedals are impossible to demo due to logistics, etc. I was desperate with the whole Mesa/Boogie thing tonight, and it was driving me mad. I couldn't find a single clip of a goddamned power chord!!! I finally just said, f*ck it, and just clicked "buy it now." Who the f*ck knows if a Mesa/Boogie DC-3 can do teh br00talz or not? What else am I gonna do? Rely on Harmony Central reviews??? If my solo playing were a bit more accomplished, I would do my part and make some demos myself.

There's always a way. It might be difficult, but there is still a way to try things like that.

Furthermore, a lot of amps that do high gain can also do mid-gain and cleans quite well, so it's only fair that they do get coverage as well. Not everything revolves around br00t4lz.

And, to satisfy your wanting of a Mesa Mark IV clip with rythm playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsLxAHwNl8

Most of the time, you can find the demos you want just by searching past the first five pages or so. (Just so you know, that was on the first)
Last edited by Denthúl at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by webbtje
That annoys me the most.

"OK, so this is the kind of tone you'll get from this metal distortion pedal:"

*shred shred tap sweep*

OR

*completely irrelevant blues*
Yup. I totally feel your pain. No pain, no gain! Get it? LOL

Quote by LEVEL4
Yup. I totally feel your pain. No pain, no gain! Get it? LOL

Quiet, you.
Quote by Denthúl
And, to satisfy your wanting of a Mesa Mark IV clip with rythm playing . . .
Thanks. To be fair, the amp I was trying to demo is apparently a bit more rare, and only about five videos turned up (DC-3, DC-5).

Understand, we're not dissing that they play blues, or that the amp can do blues, hell, I play some myself, so I'd be interested in that.

But when you're buying an amp that has crushing distortion, you want to hear the crushing distortion, given justice by a real metal riff!

I can't exactly go out and test most thing I look for reviews on, and guitar center doesn't have everything, so demos are important to me.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Mar 31, 2008,
If the demo doesn't cover what you want, go out and try the amp/guitar/pedal yourself.

So I'm just supposed to drive a few hundred/thousand miles to the nearest <insert brand here> dealer?

I understand your point; however, I just searched about a billion YouTube videos for Mesa/Boogie DC-series and Mark IV demos, since I was about to buy a Mesa/Boogie amp online. Guess what? Not ONE power chord!

Way to miss my point completely.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah, the people not knowing how to play what the pedal is meant for winds me up the most. You don't blues on a metal pedal, the clues in the damn name.

The best Youtube demo I've seen is the Johnny DeMarco Roland Cube amp. Because he goes through the full capabilities of the amp and is able to play a variety of genres extremely well.
When they either use a PC mic or the built-in camera mic to record the sound, or put the mic too close to the amp.

Or both. >.<

Edit: Oh, as an additional, Gearwire. That main guy has the personality of a box of dead frogs and has some innate ability of making every piece of equipment he plays sound like ass.
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
So I'm just supposed to drive a few hundred/thousand miles to the nearest <insert brand here> dealer?

Yes. There's nothing that says people on the internet have to create demos to suit you personally. In the days before Youtube, word of mouth or travelling longer distances was the only way to do it anyway, so I don't see why it suddenly isn't possible these days. You can either drive however far it is to try it out or else base your purchase solely on reviews from places like here and Harmony Central. If you don't like the product, you can usually return it or else sell it as new and make your money back.

I have no way of getting to any of the decent guitar stores around here and people rarely put up demos of things I want, but I make do with alternative methods. I haven't bought a piece of gear that hasn't worked for me so far.
I hate people who are over protective of the EQ in their videos. Like threre was this one guy who did a ValveKing demo and said:

Quote by YouTubeGuy
"A lot of people have been asking me what my EQ is. I don't usually give my EQ out to people because it's pretty special, but here it is, have fun with it."

The EQ was Bass: 4, Middle: 9, Treble: 5. I really don't see anything special about that EQ, or any EQ really. The amp's EQ is parametric anyway.
no one ever says that the thing there testing out is bad
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Quote by -Collapse-
Understand, we're not dissing that they play blues, or that the amp can do blues, hell, I play some myself, so I'd be interested in that.

But when you're buying an amp that has crushing distortion, you want to hear the crushing distortion, given justice by a real metal riff!
Right. It just seems weird is all. Seems like 90% of those on UG are into metal and high-gain stuff. But 90% of the demos seem to focus on clean and blues-ey stuff. It's not like we're all using search terms like "Telecaster" and "Fender Twin" when we're auditioning high-gain amp and distortion pedal demos on YouTube.

Okay. I'll stop now.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Way to miss my point completely.
I understood your point. I was just restating mine (it's all about me).

My main problem with alot of gear demos, pedals specifically, is that they just start saying this is X pedal and this is what it sounds like without letting anyone hear what the unneffected sound is. I mean how can anyone get an idea of the sound of a pedal if we have no basis for comparison.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Speaking of unaffected sound.
Have you ever watched a demo, and the person has put reverb (or something on the like) on it? =\
The whining in this thread is more annoying then the videos them selves, for instance they don't show mesas doing the 'Br00talz' if you're even half serious about dropping a few k for an amp you'd be down at a store trying it not watching youtube videos to see if it can do a good <Insert ****ty core band as that is what I've come to expect from the general consensus here>. /Rant for now
Ibanez SZ 320MH >> Vox V487 >> Barber LTD >> MI Audio Neo-Fuzz >> Peavey Bandit 112
I hate that when I go to see how an amp sounds, there's always (well not always) a pedal plugged in.

lol and yeah they do play clean for a while and then some OD. or just really repetative playing :/
Quote by esp1234
I hate that when I go to see how an amp sounds, there's always (well not always) a pedal plugged in.

lol and yeah they do play clean for a while and then some OD. or just really repetative playing :/

Yeah, I hate that. I was watching a video for a Peavey Classic 30 to see how much gain it could get. I was thinking "This is pretty high gain compared to what people say" and the I read the description which said he was running a DS-1 through the clean channel. Why not title the video DS-1 Demo then? Misleading...
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by LEVEL4
What do YOU hate about YouTube amp/pedal demo videos . . .

erm, that they spawn hate threads on UG ?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Tom_hatton
... the Johnny DeMarco Roland Cube amp. Because he goes through the full capabilities of the amp and is able to play a variety of genres extremely well.

Didn't read that part of your post before but I have to agree.
He may be somewhat over-enthusiastic at times and pull some ridiculous faces whilst playing, but he always demonstrates the equipment excellently.
Yes. There's nothing that says people on the internet have to create demos to suit you personally.

Show me where I (or anyone else) said otherwise.
When the reviewer's voice is so ridiculous that I can't bear to listen to it.

Also the comments. EG "As a guitarist of 25 years THIS TIHNG SUXXXX". And normally their username is "Guitardude1992".
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Archeo Avis
Show me where I (or anyone else) said otherwise.

It's implied in the way that you all complain about these demos. The expectations you have of them.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Yeah, things where a lot better in the 80's, it's so sad to see the art of making Youtube videos has been lost. I wish there was some sort of law which forced people to make Youtube videos of everything they owned, I mean, how else are they expecting anyone else to buy the same things as they did? I bet a lot of companies will find it quite difficult to sell products in the future if this trend of their customers not making decent Youtube videos continues.

LEVEL4, I'm looking forward to your seeing your demo on Youtube with great anticipation, show those kids how to make a proper demo video!

And I also wish that people would play more power chords/rhythm work
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 31, 2008,
when they play twice, like an on/off demo, but play 2 completely different riffs

EDIT:

^hahahahahahahaha

also: why does everything on UG involving an opinion always turn into a hate fest?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Mar 31, 2008,
Page 1 of 2