Poll: most of the music you listen to come from which era?
Poll Options
View poll results: most of the music you listen to come from which era?
the 80's
25 17%
the 70's
18 12%
the 60's
9 6%
the 50's and older
4 3%
the present, the 90's to date
31 21%
lol wut... hhaha hehe ear
5 3%
an equal mix
53 37%
Voters: 145.
Page 1 of 2
do you sometimes think that music from the past is better than the stuff that is produced today?

so do you listen to music mostly from the past rather than the stuff that are from the 90's to the present 2008??
Last edited by petrina_678 at Mar 31, 2008,
Yes, though I like some modern stuff. Old stuff just has an atmosphere I like- old musty Robert Johnson recordings and such.... yum!

Also British music at the minute is in a very bad place for me, though there's some decent American modern stuff I'm into.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
All music is from the past, is it not?

I can't say I listen to music from the future, it's just not possible!

Seriously though, I suppose I listen to a mixture of both.
I mostly listen to music from this decade, cos I love Prog metal. Tool, Mastodon, Opeth, Dream Theater etc.

EDIT: Didn't realise I'd been sigged
Well, if Dream Theater counts as the past (1980's)

Sometimes I do as it influences a vast majority of modern music, but there is much more innovation in some degrees of modern music nowadays (I will probably be disputed here. I do mean musical and stylistic deviations and innovation rather than musical movements etc). Though, old stuff has spawned much of the new stuff so I am conflicted.

I credit some of my stuff to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Cream as well. But indisputably, the popular music back in the day is remarkably, immeasurably better than popular music today.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I personally hate all music thats out nowadays. Everytime i turn on the tv or radio its always the same stuff and its usually the kinda of genres i cant stand i.e indie.
I like good music

time period is of no importance
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
It's very difficult to listen to music from the future. All music is from the past, unless you're listening to a live improvisation.
Quote by clement1
I personally hate all music thats out nowadays. Everytime i turn on the tv or radio its always the same stuff and its usually the kinda of genres i cant stand i.e indie.

have you heard all modern music? look around a bit, popular music isn't the only music.
The only music I listen to is in the 70's, occasionally I listen to other decades e.g 50's, 60's, 80's etc but the only albums I like from now are Airbourne's debut and Queens of the Stone Age
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I like both, some old music is indeed better than usic nowadays, but nowadays the mixing is often better wich makes the music better.
Equal mix, I think the past had as much junk as we have today
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
Mostly 80s stuff, like Joy Division, The Cure, New Order, etc.

I got a NME compilation album a little while ago, liked about 10 songs on it, and bought the bands albums. So it's all pretty good.
Good shit is good shit. Don't matter when it was written or recorded.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by gallagher2006

Your taste in music is similar to my Moms.

No, really.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Your taste in music is similar to my Moms.

No, really.

What can I say? I'm a mature middle aged woman at heart.
Quote by gallagher2006
What can I say? I'm a mature middle aged woman at heart.

Middle aged? Wow, you're lucky she's not standing behind me right now
Mostly from the 70's but a fair share from the 60's and 80's
I do think you should seperate the 90s from the present.
I'm a communist. Really.
There's as much crap music from every decade...the difference is that over time the crap gets forgotten and the good musicians are elevated to godlike status.
I listen to a good mixture of eras, but since I'm a huge thrash fan, so I'm mainly stuck in the 80s, but with the flourish of recent thrash bands nowadays, it's a healthy mix of 80s thrash and 21st Century thrash.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
i listen to mostly 80s hardcore punk and underground 'Grunge'. a also listen to early 90s nirvana. and public enemy from 80's and 90's. i listen to punk from the 70's and some rock from the 60's and 70's. and Bob marley and Ska from the 60-80's
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain
Quote by mathieupM13
If you want to see scary pics you should google Rosie O’Donnell
Lately most of it is stuff from the 90's till present...

But sometimes i do go back to the 50's to listen to some Ray Charles and further back when i'm in the Classical mood...
Quote by gallagher2006

Good stuff

I play a lot of new music but also a bit of the 80's, 70's rock, jazz n swing from 40's, but doo wop from the 50's and 60's is where it's at.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
I base my musical tastes on how many women the musician got.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
About 85% from the 60's, then the rest are the 70's. Maybe it's not as lobsided, but that's close.

Though, I do listen to some 'newer' stuff, like oasis....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
17th century. Why did you only include contemporary eras on the poll. >:[
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I've only like a couple of bands since the 90s, Nirvana, Muse, Lostprophets, The Answer and maybe a couple of others, but most of the stuff that comes out nowadays just pure sucks.
Most of the stuff I listen goes from the 80s back to the 60s and a little into the 50s with some classical thrown in there too.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
More stuff that is post-2000 but I listen to stuff from most decades from the 60's onwards.
Also, classical
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
hate to ruin the thread but... technically all music is from the past seeing as you can't really listen to music that hasn't been written yet...
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Sol9989
hate to ruin the thread but... technically all music is from the past seeing as you can't really listen to music that hasn't been written yet...

Man, taking things out of context is DEEP.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, taking things out of context is DEEP.

i read the thread title and replied accordingly, i should have probably read some replies but oh well... 80s for me.

ya know, i remember when the internet wasn't serious...
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Page 1 of 2