So, I usually play in the standard tuning, and a some of the bands I'm into (In Flames) play in lower tunings, specifically drop C, which is what inspired me to play in it. I've tried tuning lower, using a light gauge string set, and its like playing with spegetti, also sounds bad. I also tried with a much higher gauge, don't recall the exact gauge, but it was a Zack Wylde set I believe, meant for lower tunings, yet it still just sounded terrible. Of course I also adjusted the action, ect..to compensate the lower tuning, but it still just didn't sound 'right'. So basically what I'm asking is what processes do you guys go through when setting a guitar up for a lower tuning?
you could always buy thicker strings. i just use my electronic tuner and if it sounds bad, tune it back up. you don't want to break the strings.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Well, if you've had the guitar for a while and it's always been in Standard, you do know that it won't stay in drop tuning for long the first time you try it? It takes time for it to adjust to the lowered string tension.
I've not the time nor cutting wit necessary to provide a catchy signature. *adjusts monocle*
Quote by SonntagMetzger
Well, if you've had the guitar for a while and it's always been in Standard, you do know that it won't stay in drop tuning for long the first time you try it? It takes time for it to adjust to the lowered string tension.

after tuning them down, try to stretch the strings (pull the strings upward) slightly, slight enough not to break the strings. then observe the change in tuning, if any, tune them again. do the stretching and the tuning-again, repeatedly until you 'achieve optimum results' (watever).
String stretching using thicker strings, action adjustment, truss rod adjustment, and if a double locking trem is equipped, an adjustment of the springs in the back cavity. And maybe an intonation adjustment to be safe.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Whats the guitar? Scale length can be an effect as well, especially with low gauge strings.