If I bought a Squier to use it as a secondary guitar, or different tuned guitar for live shows and I modded it would it be worth it at all, and could it happen ?

Give me some list of mods I could do with it to make it sound good.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i guess pcik ups are the main thing to change,
i dont claim to be an expert but from reading past posts ive always heard that even if you mod a cheap guitar. its still a cheap guitar
Quote by simking
i dont claim to be an expert but from reading past posts ive always heard that even if you mod a cheap guitar. its still a cheap guitar

Oh really?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Unless you put a lot of money into it. Then it's an expensive guitar.
All your base are belong to us.
New pickups, locking tuners, block the bridge if you don't need a trem... that's really all that comes to mind.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
It will never be an amazing guitar - the wood is not very good, y'know? But it is a decent guitar I think and if you swap the pickups, you can get some good tone from it.
Lala, I'll just save for my, Gibson sg stadard, Fender 72 tele, or American fat strat.. Haven't decided yet.

Quote by simking

so true. Theres no short cuts with cheap gear. In general, you just get what you pay for with guitars. Let the flaming begin.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
You have to weigh how much you're gonna have to put in to the guitar to make it "decent" against how much a better guitar would cost. Odds are you're gonna come up even, so why not just get the better guitar? Unless you want to have a project guitar. Then why pay that much? Get something even cheaper and go apesh*t.
Depending on how much money you have to spend, then it might be a decent idea. However, getting a 250 dollar Squier then adding another 200 to it, might seem a little ridiculous when you could just buy a 450 dollar guitar and be just as satisfied.

Modded Squiers are fun and good players, but I would personnely just save up your money for an actual Fender.
Yeah, It might a good learning exersise, if nothing else, to take the squier appart and rebuild it. if I was in your position, I would get a REALLY cheap guitar, and just mess about with it, changing the wiring, painting it, experimenting with any crazy ideas that might come to you once it's in bits or whatever. It's probably not worth spending serious money on it though, getting good pickups or whatever, but just as a fart about sesh.
don't do it they just have a gross tone to them and they feel worse...save up get a MIM standard if anything in the long run it's cheaper and sounds better.
i mean it would definitely improve the sound but a crappy guitar stays a crappy guitar and most squiers have pretty bad wood
President of the Jeff Beck Club(PM me to join)

Sergeant Destroyer Member Of the KISS army

PM sloopy to join
I don't care what anyone says, a guitar's worth is dictated by its user.

Pickups and a GOOD setup will do wonders for even the cheapest pile.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I am marginally offended by the number of persistant Squier slaters. Squiers are great guitars to learn on, to keep for different tunings and probably to mod.
The Affinity series, the general consensus goes, is made of alder wood, like proper Strats. The Standard series is made of agathis, which is an uninspiring tonewood. Get a good one and you might have a winning mod guitar. I still like to play my Squier even though I have an Ibanez because I like the single coil sound, though a bridge humbucker is in the pipeline.

Rob

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by hexadecimal
You can put some stickers on this guitar :P

Yeeeaaaaah, that's not going to improve it...

As said, pickups are an obvious, you could change out the bridge and tuners, and definitely swap out all the electronics(this is cheap, so don't worry).

There isn't really much more you can do after that... Unless you're gonna give it a new neck...But beware the wood isn't going to be up to much, and the finish will be thick and nasty.

MONSTA EDIT:

Quote by jimRH7
Yeah, It might a good learning exersise, if nothing else, to take the squier appart and rebuild it. if I was in your position, I would get a REALLY cheap guitar, and just mess about with it, changing the wiring, painting it, experimenting with any crazy ideas that might come to you once it's in bits or whatever. It's probably not worth spending serious money on it though, getting good pickups or whatever, but just as a fart about sesh.

Most very cheap guitars are usually real piles of ****, made of plywood. Which is a no go area.
Last edited by ze monsta at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by Chica
don't do it they just have a gross tone to them and they feel worse...save up get a MIM standard if anything in the long run it's cheaper and sounds better.

I think this is good advice. It'll last you longer and you won't have to bother modifying anything.

if you got a sqier not good for live performances, except i use a **** load of distortion.
Quote by jm1681

Pickups and a GOOD setup will do wonders for even the cheapest pile.

I agree with jm1681 on this point but I wouldn't start with a squier if I were to mod out a guitar today.