Page 1 of 10
Signed on a new endorsee last week. Once again, you'll have to wait for the official release, but i know you guys enjoy the builds i post up, and i like getting your feedback too.

Now, before we go any further, lets talk about endorsements.

Endorsements are a deal between a manufacture, distributor, or store, in exchange for a musician (or sportsman, etc) to use certain products. The idea is, that the exposure from an endorsee using certain products, brings more sales to the company/distributor/store.

Im in a different position. I dont need any more sales, Im already booked up solid. In fact, as of the end of this week, we will stop taking orders for guitars for probably six months. We cant build them fast enough, to meet demand. So, this endorsement isnt so much for sales, as it is just giving a top player a damn good break, and achieving a few goals Ive have had planned for quite some time.

We talked a fair bit about guitars, designs, etc. We both had similar goals in mind, so struck up a deal. Endorsements might mean free guitars for someone like Zakk Wylde, but i dont work that way. Sure, the guitars arent full price, but in exchange for a discount, I get a top shelf player that can do clinics, demos, recordings, etc.

And thats is what is important to me. I enjoy having a 'family' of clients, that all become friends. I love that i can pretty much call on any one of them at a moments notice, and ask a favor. Coming down and doing a demo. Loaning me back an interesting guitar to take with me to visit other clients. Sharing instruments between owners when its time to record a new cd. Etc etc.

Anyway, enough about the business side... time for rock and roll!

Like i said, this guitar is a little different. This is the first prototype. You've probably seen something similar, but this is actually different. Maybe we'll get into the math later on, and you'll clearly see the 'industry standard' of building this type of guitar is, and always has been, very very wrong. Ive been wanting to build this guitar for a LONG time.

Specs:
Alder body
Wenge set neck
Ebony fretboard
Custom wound pickup
Individual string bridges

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Saturday
Ebony fretboard
Baritone fretboard taper template. This guitar IS NOT a baritone.

Slotting jig.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Mar 31, 2008,
Sorry for the quality. I only had my phone camera handy on saturday.

Board slotted. I think you can see where this is headed.

an idea??

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Looks very interesting. Definatley be keeping my eyes on this one (not that I don't keep my eyes on every one of your builds anyways )
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
nice man, like the fretboard inlay.
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Monday
Mother of pearl shell. No one piece was big enough to cut the shape from, other than pieces that were figured. Figured shell looks great, but it wont work with an inlay like this. A ripple in the shell can usually be used to enhance a piece, but in this case, it would make it look funny.

An example of using figuring or grain in a shell to enhance a piece might be these:

anyway... shell cut out...

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Three hours to cut six necks, machine two, and do the inlay. Not too bad really.
I have also started video taping the builds. I'll get around to editting up some footage soon, and posting it all on youtube. Its a bit of a pain to do, because i like to just work rather than stop and start all the time, but I think its going to be worth it.

Machined up the Wenge. I cut out six neck blanks, and chose the best two.

Headstock cut. Anything different here?

Took quite some time, but i managed to orientate the timber so the grain would match the reverse headstock shape. Totally irrelevant to the build, but its detail like that which really bugs me if i knew i could have done it 'better'.

More tomorrow.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Nice. Wenge is such a pretty wood.
It looks like chocolate with dark chocolatey lines.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
beautiful inlay job 0.0 cant wait to see the rest
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Looks very nice indeed

Is it the fanned frets you were talking about being done very wrong?

Can you elaborate?

BTW I like the idea of you not giving it away free, but more that you aren't PAYING the guy to use them like some companies.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Mar 31, 2008,
Looks like its going to be very nice. Are there going to be any other inlays? And what is the purpose of fanned frets?
^ to encorporate two scale lengths in one guitar

Generally used in things like 8 string guitars, so the bottom can be bass scale length and the top guitar scale length.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
im def susbcribing... (like all other Ormsby threads )

looks like you have an amazing concept... and ive seen that inlay before... cant remember where
Quote by just17n8
im def susbcribing... (like all other Ormsby threads )

looks like you have an amazing concept... and ive seen that inlay before... cant remember where

Almost every object with a pin-up girl like logo has a female in this position
Quote by JvL
Almost every object with a pin-up girl like logo has a female in this position

hahahaha... i know.... and theres a brand in Italy that uses that logo...

but remember it on a guitar...
dude that inlay is TIGHT! That logo does look like the logo on some peavey amps. Doubt it's them though somehow...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
mud flap girl is a pretty universal logo

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
ormsby, amazing once again
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Here you go, some video.

Hopefully i'll get more video up within a week. I want this guitar ready for lacquer in less than ten days.

YouTube - Multiscale Build Diary - PART ONE

Ok, you guys got it. Its a multiscale instrument. Not fanned fret.

Novak guitars sell fanned frets, and although this looks extremely similar, im not going to charge you a licensing fee to explain how i work these out

The basic math behind a fanned fret guitar is wrong. At least, i think its incorrect enough to start looking for alternatives. Its based on selecting a scale length, and then joining a series of lines to an imaginary start point. This creates a fanned pattern. From there, a fretboard is cut. Problem with that way of doing things, is a fretboard, and the strings themselves, are position in a tapered fashion. A fanned layout will only correctly intonate when PARALLEL to the original scale markings. The problem is small, but why build something that isnt right?

Multiscale is different. Here ive tapered the fretboard, then marked a 27.5" scale on one side, and a 25.5" on the other. The taper of the fretboard is a "fan", as are the strings. The scale lengths are then joined by lines, which become the fret slots. Between this method, and the fanned method, as far as i'm concerned, this is the most accurate (and much easier to do too!).

This guitar is a six string. Tuned to D standard.
The 27.5" scale is like a baritone. This scale length = tighter D string. Tighter string = more tone + more sustain + more individual string clarity and seperation. A tighter string means you can also go down a gauge or two, without it feeling floppy like it might normally be when downtuning.
The 25.5" side = standard guitar. You dont want tighter treble strings. Its too hard to solo.
The splayed fretwork also follows the natural arch of your forearm when holding a bar chord shape.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Mar 31, 2008,
wow that video is awsome , i cant wait for the next one, this is looking awsome by the way, you have some serious skill man.
edit: and watching your other videos and from your posting on here, you seem like the nicest guy too, an ormsby build is now on my list of things to do before i die lol
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at Mar 31, 2008,
^What you want to do? But if you do it, then it's not gonna be an Ormsby build, is it?

Anyways, if I feel adventurous, I might eventually get all math-head on that bit of theory, because now I'm getting curious.
Quote by MichaelSpeer
how different does a multiscale fretboard feel compared to a normal? do you find urslef misplacing ur fingers a lot or does it just come naturally
thanks

This is a prototype, so ive never played one. I have spoken directly with a LOT of multiscale/fanned fret players so i had lots of background info before i started. Word on the street is it takes about an hour to get used to. Some guys said it was a day. Maybe a couple days to get up to speed with the sweeping.

Your arm travels in an arc, so its more natural than it seems.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Last edited by ormsby guitars at Apr 1, 2008,
Hey Perry what string guage have you tried soloing on a 27" scale?

I wanted to build a 7 string baritone at 27" to use at standard tuning (much lighter strings to produce the same tension, so that the low B is easier to play and tighter)

Could you not just use super light strings for the treble? Like 0.08s or something?

Cheers

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Hey Perry what string guage have you tried soloing on a 27" scale?

I wanted to build a 7 string baritone at 27" to use at standard tuning (much lighter strings to produce the same tension, so that the low B is easier to play and tighter)

Could you not just use super light strings for the treble? Like 0.08s or something?

Cheers

For every inch of scale length, drop a gauge, to get roughly the same tension. Roughly.
Wound strings are different. Maybe 52 @ 25.5" = 46 @ 27.5"? Experiment! You'll learn more from buying a few sets of strings than by me telling you the answers. Thats because tension isnt the only factor, surface pressure is too (fat strings distribute force over a larger area of fingertip)... and that IS relative to the FEEL of a string... and your fingers are different to mine

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
So basically you marked one side of the fretboard with a 25.5" fret layout and the other with a 27.5" and connected the two with lines? Also because you have different scale lengths won't the bridge of the guitar have to be angled to compensate for the fact that its two different scale lengths?
Quote by XgamerGt04
So basically you marked one side of the fretboard with a 25.5" fret layout and the other with a 27.5" and connected the two with lines?

Basically, thats correct.

Quote by XgamerGt04

Also because you have different scale lengths won't the bridge of the guitar have to be angled to compensate for the fact that its two different scale lengths?

Definately. The angle will suit the two outer scale lengths. We'll worry about that later on though, need to finish the neck and body first.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
I thought it would be. Just have to let you know you have some amazing builds man, and this multiscale thing has me interested now. I'll keep watching because i might wanna try something like this with a build i have planned.
Quote by XibanezedgeX
Well you're using this type of bridge correct?

Looks really nice, I really want to try a fanned/multiscale guitar ever since saw that 7 string over at Project Guitar...

That acoustic one? That was such an amazing guitar. Next build of mine definitely.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ Link please

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Yep, thats the bridge.

Ok, to slow the PM's...

Yes, the nut and bridge are angled at opposite angles. The position of the bridge is worked out exactly the same way as you normally would. Except, you measure once for the bass side, and once for the treble side... because its two different scales. The strings in between are worked out by joining the two outer bridge/nut/fret markers.

The angle of the bridge and nut is related to how the two scales are laid out in relation to each other. Ive set this one up so the 9th fret is straight. If the 2nd fret was straight, the nut angle would be shallow, and the bridge very angled. Straight at the 12th? Nut and bridge same angle...

Just wait a bit longer for more photos before asking too many questions about the theory. All will be revealed over the next couple days as it gets built. Much easier to see in a photo...

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
wow man. thats wicked cool. i really wish i had an ormsby guitar. or multiscale guitar. those look really kickass.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Tuesday's work...

Glued the fretboard at the end of Tuesday:

... and the body blank (alder)

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!