Page 1 of 3
Hi guys, I thought I'd make a thread about what effects you guys use for punk.

I use a bit of chorus sometimes, always a little delay, and tomorrow I'm getting a digitech whammy.
Quote by RockThe40oz
I have been playing for 6-7 years and have never owned a pedal... nor any good equipment

lol
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Hi,
I always find that Heavy distortion and overdrive does nicely. I never use pedals in any of my songs, mayube sometimes to change volume and tone etc. but never effects pedals.
Quote by RockThe40oz
I have been playing for 6-7 years and have never owned a pedal... nor any good equipment

and there it is, everyone take note of this as this is a truly 100% certified punk statement
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
and there it is, everyone take note of this as this is a truly 100% certified punk statement

xDDDD lawl
Quote by RockThe40oz

High five

Same bass and amp from when I started. Probably the same strings too. I cant remember.
Obviously, you need a guitar synth. If there is one thing I know about punk rock, it is: More is better. Also, guitar solos. Technical ones.

...Fine.. reverb. Maybe a delay.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Yeah, I have never met anyone who uses effect pedals when playing da p00nx

but that's not a bad idea...

the only time I have ever used an effect pedal for a punk song is when I play some DK
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
HBE Germania OC44

(it's a treble booster)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I always use distortion, but as little as possible. I like my sound to be crisp and clear, not fuzzy, and I hate feedback. I use just enough distortion to get crunchy palm mutes, which, with a single-coil strat, means turning the gain up to a little less than half on my head. I also distort my clean channel a little bit just to make it more fuzzy and trebly.

I've never used effects very much, mostly because I don't own any or know how to use any, but my Marshall head has built-in chorus and delay... I use the chorus once in a while to get that wobbly sound Nirvana used a lot.

I'm afraid to use effects, really, because I'm not a very good guitarist. And when bad guitarists use a bunch of effects to sound cool, they end up sounding like the Edge from U2... and I hate U2.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by cedaguol
xDDDD lawl

hmmmm trying to interpret this is being quite complicated. The rosetta stone of this tongue must be found and interpreted!

I want to get a pedal I can use for playing sludge parts of PV, probaly a black metal pedal would be the best bet. so as of current im pedal-less
On my amp, i use no reverb at all and am always messing around with my bass/mid/treb although bass is usually higher than the other two.
F*ck pedals

I use an onbord reverb for ska stuff, and other stuff. But only effects I'd use for PUNK is an echo for DK style stuff.
i like to maybe use a tiny bit of chorus for ska but that's about it
founder of the MXPX group, pm me to join

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!!!!!!

Wii number: 7054 3894 4223 2011
Quote by SuperBlob
Bad Monkey overdrive. Nothing more, nothing less.

Me too, let's ****.
I'm not a punk rock hero and you're no fairy princess, just 'cause you're beautiful and I've got a stupid haircut.
I don't own any pedals (or decent gear, for that matter). Hopefully, I'll eventually get:

Delay (analog or analog-sounding)
Flanger
Envelope volume swell

And possibly:
Overdrive
Noise gate

And maybe wah and tremolo just for fun. I probably wouldn't use them much.
I don't use any pedals.
I need a new amp though. Really badly. I'm still using my Line6 Spider II. Which is especially awful because it's only 30 watts. >_<
I need to be louder!
Quote by ValoRhoads

It's not about being punk, it's about having more important things to spend my money on... pedals are so damned expensive just to get one nifty effect out of them that I'll use in 1% of the songs I play...

I wouldn't mind a distortion or overdrive pedal because I have to constantly switch between clean and distorted because my band plays a decent variety of songs, but still... it's much cheaper just to go push a button on my amp between songs.
Devourthekitten, i know your sig is awesome and everything, but it is a ****ing space waster... could you condense it or something please?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Devourthekitten, i know your sig is awesome and everything, but it is a ****ing space waster... could you condense it or something please?

Fine...look, are you happy now?
meh, could be worse. thanks
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
I have an overdrive pedal somewhere that I got when I was just starting, but I don't use it anymore. I also have a tremolo pedal which I think sounds awesome, but I hardly use it and never on punk.
I use a phaser, a chorus, wah, and disortion pedals. I'm looking into getting a delay. I'm in more of an indie band though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
i dont use much effect pedals.
i use 5 gain on my amp because i want the chords to be clear and precise when i play them but i use a DS-1 distortion pedal with full gain to step on when i play my guitar solos, its a technique to sound more "full" because i play in a 1-guitar band.
i also sometimes use a dunlop crybaby classic. thats all. oh, and a planet waves pedal tuner.
i generally just use the overdrive on my marshall, occasionally i tiny bit of delay & chorus mainly if playing clean, which are also part of my amp

a wah works really well for ska

and ive been tempted to get a noise gate an maybe a compressor but im not sure if the moneys really justified
I own a Boss Digital Delay Pedal and a Digitech Grunge pedal.

That's right, I have a grunge pedal. And I hate grunge.

*-)
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by misfitsdisciple

Irony up the ass right there.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I got my whammy.

Apparently it sounds like two dolphins cagging, which is no bad thing...

Man, everyone hates on the whammy. I dunno why.

If I ever get my prog/black metal/grunge two piece thing together, I'm gonna use a whammy pedal, and a ****LOAD of moogerfoogers.

Best effects in the world.
I love the whammy. It'd get annoying if you overused it though.

I recorded a song with it, if you'd care to listen.
Quote by axeslash
I own a Boss Digital Delay Pedal and a Digitech Grunge pedal.

That's right, I have a grunge pedal. And I hate grunge.

*-)

I love grunge, and I hate that pedal.

Weird...
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
I love grunge, and I hate that pedal.

Weird...

The trick is to set your clean setting on the amp with the treble set around 7 and the mid level and bass around 3. Then set the pedal's low end on 7 and high end on 5. Makes the perfect punk sound. Calling it grunge does not accurately describe the range of sounds you can get from it.

Mind you the only grunge band I ever really listened to was some of the early Melvins stuff.
Page 1 of 3