hi guys,

i'm looking for a couple of fairly inexpensive mics to mic my cabs up in my live wet/dry/wet guitar rig. i'd like the mics to be flat, and as small as

possible, so that i can tape them onto the front of the wet cabs in such a way as they dont stick out much. this way i can feed the mics to a mixer in

my rig and send the sound guy one xlr cable for my setup, rather than having to mic up all 3 cabs and hope that he/she will mix them right

ideally i'd use my sm57s, but of course you can't stick them flat along the face of the cabs as they only pick up sound in the direction they're facing.

i've done some research and i've found a couple of things that look like they may work - the sennheiser e606 certainly looks flat, and the e608

gooseneck looks pretty small. has anyone used these mics on guitar cabs? any idea how they might sound compared to the sm57? are the small gooseneck mics more likely to feedback? any other suggestions?

any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, thanks,

sache
I would just use booms and stick sm57s right up to the amp. I wouldn't stick a mic flat against the grille of the cab, that usually doesn't sound right.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
SM57s are the standard (for a good reason, they sound great!) just use some small booms, mount them at an angle, and there you have it.
thanks for the replies guys, ideally i'd do as you suggest but the problem with using booms/sm57s is that for me, it'll take too long to set up for 3 cabs given that my rig already takes a while to setup... also 3 booms mean things more likely to wrong in knokcing the booms etc.

i'm looking at sticking mics to the guitar cabs and mixing them and sending out one stereo signal to make things quicker/easier to setup for me and the sound guy, and so that i can control my wet/dry ratio...

kid_thorazine, i've read that the e609 can be stuck up close to the cab and sounds good, no?
it will sound ok, but it doesn't really give the soundwaves time to disperse properly. and IMO it sounds weird. as for more things to go wrong, just tape the booms to the floor.

Also taping the mic directly to the grille will make the mic shake, which can also create sound problems.

Last.fm
the e609 would work against the grill, a lot of people use them that way, just preference. As an alternative, I was looking at these ampclamps at one point. Downside is you have to screw the baseplate into the cab. Upside is, the stand arm just slides into the baseplate when you want to mic it, same position each time, good or bad.
http://www.ampclamp.com/
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
hey guys, well the e609 sounds like a good bet for live use to me... the convenience is important for me...

about eq-ing the sound live though, any thoughts on this? - would it be ok to feed the sound guy one mixed signal of wet and dry combined, in stereo to eq, or do i really need to send the sound guy one feed for dry and one for effects? ideally i'd do this, but of course i'm trying to minimize what i have to get sound guys to do...
yeah you could blend them with a small mixer and send them to the sound guy, but that means more work to get the levels right on both mixers. It's really best to just send everything directly to the board and let the sound guys deal with it, just make sure you have everything typed up to give to them before the gig, so they know what you want.

Last.fm
good advice kid... i guess i should check with a few soundguys around these parts to see what they're willing to deal with, in terms of number of feeds, and take it from there...