Hi - I'm new to the board. I currently play a strat and am looking for a second/backup guitar. I play mostly hard rock / blues / some jazz. I've narrowed it down to a G&L Legacy in like new condition for $700 or a slightly used Musicman Axis Sport (roughly $825).

I could always get a second strat but I wanted to get something slightly different to provide some versatility.

Any thoughts or opinions on either of those guitars or which would be the better choice / value would be great.

Thanks again.
Could you post some links to the guitars you mentioned? They are both rather uncommon (at least were I live), so I guess you won't find many people owning these, thus not getting many replies. But if we knew the specifications, we could at least speculate about which one is better.
Every Musicman iv ever played have been beautiful, Iv played a Luke, an axis sport and the Pertucci sig. The necks just feel amazing and the build quality is second to none on all examples iv ever seen. G&L is pretty much a fender as this is what Leo Fender did after the buyout so ask yourself if you really want another strat? But, If you want something a bit different id seriously try the Musicman out.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
You can get a nice Schecter for around $700. They're pretty versatile guitars.
I can get the used musicman for around $850 or so or get the like new Legacy for $700 and pocket the $150.
The problem I see with the G&L is the fact that its literally a strat with a few upgrades Leo and his cronies thought apt for the job such as a 2 point trem and funky pickups. Tone wise its going to be very strat like whilst the musicman will have distinctly different tone which gives you more options which is what we all want at the end of the day.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
i would go for the musicman. but thats my opinion

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
Personally, I would go for the Musicman since it's a different guitar (albeit not by much) than a typical strat. I can't say much though since I have tried neither guitars out but if the G & L isn't Japanese or American, I'd bet the Musicman would be of higher craftmanship.