Hi all,
I have been practising a lick based on the chord progression of Canon in D.. Its actually in one of the videos in UG.tv.

As i increase my speed, i realise i am picking less with less force and my left hand is more like 'tapping' the notes instead of my right hand picking it. Is this normal when one plays at higher speeds? I feel like i am cheating but i am also not doing it intentionally.

Pls help me improve!

Ciaoz
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Well you really have to slow it down until you're picking properly and you should be picking pretty hard too.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Danno13
That's called "legato" and it's a perfectly valid way of playing.

i agree,

but picking each note sometimes gives of a different sound.
If i 'legato-ed' all the way then would i have difficulties learning harder stuff in future?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Danno's right, I use both a lot depending on where the lick/solo is in relation to the chords and the position I'm using. Just whatever sounds better for the piece. To pick all the notes at a steady level and higher speeds, you've just got to slow it down, basically to sync up both of your hands and just speed up at a reasonable rate (by reasonable, I mean progressively faster rather than slow to fast). Just like any other physical training, your fingers, the muscles in your hands, wrists and forearms will get used to the motion and your accuracy and steadiness will increase over time with practice.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Well, you'd find some things easier (tapping) and others harder (sweeping).

I mainly play legato, check my profile to see what I sound like.
My short term goal is to play "far beyond the sun".. How long do you reckon it would take for me to build up the speed and sweeping techniques?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Quote by zizou510
Hi all,
I have been practising a lick based on the chord progression of Canon in D.. Its actually in one of the videos in UG.tv.

As i increase my speed, i realise i am picking less with less force and my left hand is more like 'tapping' the notes instead of my right hand picking it. Is this normal when one plays at higher speeds? I feel like i am cheating but i am also not doing it intentionally.

Pls help me improve!

Ciaoz

Basically it means you're not playing it properly - what's happened is you're playing too fast for your ability and you've lost the co-ordination between your two hands.

Slow down to the point at which you can pick it accurately and work from there, look to increase the speed gradually. If you try and force it you'll just continue to mess up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com