What's the difference between a Gibson SG Special Faded and a Gibson SG Special??
I mean, the faded is so much cheaper I just assume it must be worse somehow.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
The main difference between the two is that the Faded does not have a glossed finish. That normally knocks off about $200 or so. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference when I looked on Musiciansfriend.
"There was a time you let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah"
-Leonard Cohen
Neither one is very good (PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"), but the main difference there is the finish.
What's wrong with specials, they seem like good guitars tbh.
Due to a confusion with account setup, the account "Big Sugar" has been banned. That account was/is me. TO CLARIFY: Sinnessjukdomen = Big Sugar
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

You have made both my day and my sig, sir. I feel I would pay you if I were not a broke-*ss mooch.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
I've played a Faded in a music store, sad to say that the Copley copy for 300$ less hanging right next to it played, looked, and sounded much better. I was expecting much better from a True Gibson SG.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Quote by warlockking
I've played a Faded in a music store, sad to say that the Copley copy for 300$ less hanging right next to it played, looked, and sounded much better. I was expecting much better from a True Gibson SG.
But Specials aren't 'true' Gibsons though. Neither are Faded, VM, Studio, or in the early days, EM models.

All of those types of guitars are cheaper than the Standards for a reason - and no, it's not just because they're missing some binding or have less fancy inlays. Gibson's advertising makes it seem like Specials and Studios are the exact same as Standards just they look a tiny bit worse... the actual true is they're made with inferior (lower grade) wood, they come with worse hardware (cheaper casts, softer metal alloys, etc), crappier wiring, they're not checked over as much and they don't have to pass such tight quality control.

If the low price of a guitar from a big brand like Gibson or Fender seems too good to be true, then that's because it is. There is no such thing as a cheaper and still good Gibson or Fender (or ESP, Kramer, or so on). If a guitar is much cheaper than it's other allegedly similar siblings, that's because it's much worse. A Special Faded SG doesn't get to be half the price of a Standard SG just because of less binding and a less glossy finish. You pay half the price, you're getting half the quality (if not less).

And for what it's worth, this is coming from someone who owns a Special, plus a couple of various LP Studio and Faded models. They're nice to have on your wall and show off, and they'd good to practise modding with and to trash and crack on the stage floor, but they're built like crap, and they're **** to actually play.