Hi!

I am thinking about getting a tube amp.

I have talked to a friend who has an Engl Fireball, and I guess 1000€ is quite "cheap", for a (high?) quality 60W tube amp.

Another amp I am very interested in is the Marshall JVM205. *Marshall-sound-fan*
Are there any major differences between it and its "big brother" (apart from 50W and only 2 channels)?
Has it really only two channels or three? It looks like one clean and two different gain channels to me.

What would I (or you) need 4 channels for? I really have no idea...
And I guess 50W tube should be loud enough for gigging and band practice, right? ^^

This amp would cost me 1200€. + a Marshall 1960AV = 2000€
Or 1800€ for the Engl with this cab.
The guy with the Engl uses a Randall cab with V30s which costs about 600€.
But he also said if I want a cheap one I should take an Ibanez cab (IS412CA) for 270€, he said he heard it once and he liked its sound (for the price).

Or should I just step back and start with the cheap section of tube amps, a Peavey Valveking?

Please give me an advice!
Thx in advance, have a nice day!
Peavey Valve King! Use the extra money for something else, don't worry you will still have a nice sounding amp. Replace stock tubes it will sound very nice for any style.
Last edited by gilbeaux1983 at Mar 31, 2008,
1) Deffo get a valve amp. your tone is nothing untill u have valves.
2) 50 watt valve is easily enough for any gig, and your amp will be mic'd up at any rate.
3) Engl are easily as good as any amps (excluding Soldano) i have ever heard. The marshall would be fantastic but Engl imo is the tops.
I want you vincent745!

member #5 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
I say get the ENGL fireball.
Good sounds from the artists that use them.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Ok, thx very much for your advices!

I'll have a closer look at that Engl after recording.

But what do you think about the JVM series?
I tried one (the 410) a while ago a bit, and i noticed that it is really versatile, and also has quite a good/heavy distortion for modern metal, but I think I am not experienced enough to say if a tube amp sounds good or bad... :/

About the cab: I found a Behringer 412 cab with V30's for only 350€. If I bought only the speakers it would be more expensive already. What does it make that cheap?
Are there any other things to look at except the speakers?
I also found two cabs from Framus with V30's, the Dragon cab (412) and a 212 cab... (500/300&euro

I personally disilked the JVM series. I had it red mode on OD2 and gain was still to be desired. The versitility they offer isn't as versatille as you would think, in fact, its very... un-gainy, and the cleans and lower gains are fizzy and undefined... it is a waste of cash. The ENGL fireball blows it out the water.
I tried the JVM a few weeks ago and it was decent but there was a lot left to be desired. If it were cheaper, I'd say it'd definitely be worth it, but for how much it costs it's a peice of junk (imo).

Buy the ENGL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i found the JVM to muddy, and just didnt like the sort of tone it was giving, though it seemed alot of people where swearing it was the greatest marshall they had heard in years. the ENGL screamer is another amp you may want to look at, as its in a very similar price range.
Quote by Jokaaa
Hi!

I am thinking about getting a tube amp.

I have talked to a friend who has an Engl Fireball, and I guess 1000€ is quite "cheap", for a (high?) quality 60W tube amp.

Another amp I am very interested in is the Marshall JVM205. *Marshall-sound-fan*
Are there any major differences between it and its "big brother" (apart from 50W and only 2 channels)?
Has it really only two channels or three? It looks like one clean and two different gain channels to me.

What would I (or you) need 4 channels for? I really have no idea...
And I guess 50W tube should be loud enough for gigging and band practice, right? ^^

This amp would cost me 1200€. + a Marshall 1960AV = 2000€
Or 1800€ for the Engl with this cab.
The guy with the Engl uses a Randall cab with V30s which costs about 600€.
But he also said if I want a cheap one I should take an Ibanez cab (IS412CA) for 270€, he said he heard it once and he liked its sound (for the price).

Or should I just step back and start with the cheap section of tube amps, a Peavey Valveking?

Please give me an advice!
Thx in advance, have a nice day!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tyWj1-XcX2E&feature=related
Well i have the valveking and one of the amps im looking at is the Fireball so i would scratch the valveking off your list. Im still trying to find a place were i can demo one...
ENGL!!!! Just awesome amps. I was at Guitar Center is Memphis and actually played the Valve King 100 then I tryed an ENGL Richie Blackmore. The ENGL WOOPED the VK's ass.
JVM 410H, great great amp.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.