What's 60% of 60%?

Ok, that may be really simple but I am EXTREMELY dense at maths!

To put it in context, I am in my first year at uni (suprising, eh) and you need 40% to pass the first year. On my coursework, I got 60% on all of them, except one where I got 70%.

The course is weighted so it's 60% coursework and 40% exam, how much do I need to get on the exam to pass?

Cheers m'darlings
ur too thick to be doing a degree
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Quote by broady15
ur too thick to be doing a degree

Thanks ^^

I actually do English language and linguistics, so working out my exam grade is the most maths I'll ever have to do, ever. So up yours
im so glad i never have to do maths again.
now extra flamey
What the hell is taking 60% of 60 going to do for you? That doesn't calculate a damn thing.
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
Quote by smb
36%.

Thanks!

I think still studying may be a good idea though, incase you're wrong. Knowing I've already almost got a pass takes some of the stress off though! Thanks guise =]

Quote by pavel
What the hell is taking 60% of 60 going to do for you? That doesn't calculate a damn thing.

my course is weighted:

60% coursework

40% exam

I haven't done the exam yet, and in the coursework I got an average of about 60% ( a bit higher actually, 63%ish)

And I need to get 40% to pass the year, so working out how much out of a possible 60% I already have tells me how much I have left to get from the exams.
You need a bit less than a 10% to pass. Getting a 10% will give you a 40% grade overall.

PENGUINEDIT:
.6 * 60 = 36 (36 points out of the possible 60)
4/40 = .1
(.1*40) + (.6*60) = 40
= 40 points out of 100 possible = 40%.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by gibsonpenguin
You need a bit less than a 6% to pass. Getting a 6% will give you a 40.2% grade overall.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Getting 6% on his exam will make him fail his course miserably.
I edited, I did the exam as 70% of the grade overall rather than 40%.

Also, I don't know why you think somebody with the word Mistress in their name is a he.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
You need a bit less than a 10% to pass. Getting a 10% will give you a 40% grade overall.

PENGUINEDIT:
.6 * 60 = 36 (36 points out of the possible 60)
4/40 = .1
(.1*40) + (.6*60) = 40
= 40 points out of 100 possible = 40%.

Yes, this. About time, listen to him.

EDIT: But I would assume you have more than one exam, and if you get only 10% on each exam you will most definitely fail.
Last edited by pavel at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by pavel
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Getting 6% on his exam will make him fail his course miserably.

Herherherherher

Thanks for the maths help, although I think finding loopholes like this is going to make me a lazy failure, I just need to get the fuck on with revision and if I DO end up with a grade far higher than necessary (you only get fail/pass in year one. No extra credit for doing well) then it can just be a personal achievement for me to be smug about

Quote by smb
I would do less calculations about how many marks you need and MORE REVISION

Exactly!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Herherherherher

You are attempting to mock me for correcting someone else and being totally right??

EDIT: Ah, nvm, i see you mean that you are a girl. Yea i don't pay much attention to usernames.
^I think she is pointing out the fact that she is a her and not a he.

And I realized I was wrong and was editing my post as you posted, just not fast enough .
This is the MyImmortal law of math: If the class has the word math, or is in any way related to math, it shall be dropped, and if solution 1 can not happen it shall be nap time.

Obvious answer
Quote by MyImmortal
This is the MyImmortal law of math: If the class has the word math, or is in any way related to math, it shall be dropped, and if solution 1 can not happen it shall be nap time.

Obvious answer

I follow this law, and put it to use in dropping the psychology degree I was doing before I started my current degree.

2 hours of statistics a week, and 4 hours of lab maths analysis? No thank you.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
2 hours of statistics a week, and 4 hours of lab maths analysis? No thank you.

Ew. Well I know I'g be getting plenty of sleep if I had to sit through that torture.
A slight fly I have found in my ointment is that only one of the exams is weighted like this

The others are one at 50% exam and the other two at 60% exam

It was nice while it lasted, that ignorance was Anyone want to work out how much I need to pass with 50% and 40% of my 60% coursework grades?