lately I've grown tired of the tone from my cube 60. I play metal (death metal and thrash). my guitar has EMG 81/85's and I know that's the main reason why I can't get the best tone, but I can't afford to get passives or a new guitar right now. I can get pretty good metal tones, but they're either too gainy for my likes or they're kind of muddy and muffled. I usually use the rectifier setting with treble around 7-9, bass around 6-7, mids at about 3 or 3.5, gain at 7 at the most, and the presence at 10 (it sounds too muffled otherwise). this usually sounds pretty good for what I play, but I've been changing it around trying to get something more satisfying and I've failed so far. so I'm asking cube owners to suggest some settings that will beef up my metal tone (if possible). thanks for any help. I used the search bar btw and didn't find anything that would help me, so I hope I don't get flamed or anything for this.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Your lack of mids is probably what's making your tone muddy and muffled
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you could put your mids up a bit more. too many guitarists just scoop their mids entirely and have a bad tone :x
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
turn the gain down? woudl that help?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
You'll probably hate me for saying it, but you should probably get a tube amp.
Quote by Tomaz24
You'll probably hate me for saying it, but you should probably get a tube amp.

Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Do you know what? I have a roland cube and i completly hate the r fier model. I only use the metal model to play metal with the gain all the way up on the max. But i have passive pickups (SD). Try using the metal model.
Its not like EMG's sound bad through SS, its just that it sounds better through tube, like everything else. If you get passives you won't get as good of a metal sound as you have now.

My settings that I use for every amp no matter what are:

Treble - 7.5
Bass - 11!
Mids - 2 (probably cause i have a marshall, but u can go higher)
Presence - 7.5
Preamp - 7.5
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
about the mids - yes, I've tried turning the mids up higher but it changes the tone undesirably. besides, scooped mids are usually what makes that metal sound. and that's not what muffles it, it gets muffled when I don't have the gain, treble, or bass up high.

about tube amps - yes, I know :P this amp is supposed to be the stepping stone between my first crappy 15 watt silvertone amp and a tube amp.

about the metal setting - I've tried the metal setting but it sounds really muffled, no matter what my eq is. that's why I just use the rectifier setting, it's the only one that I can get to sound clear. maybe I just have a bad ear for good tone?

EDIT: I know the EMG's don't sound that bad, it's just that they make the sound too overdriven because of their output level... and that's my main problem, I can't get the right sound without it being too gainy or overdriven... but if I turn the gain down it just doesn't sound the way I want it. :/
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by mazohysthoney at Mar 31, 2008,
Although we can obviously get better tone out of tube amplifiers they are not always viable means for those of us who are just able to play in the bedroom. Try turning the mids up to about 6 with the bass at about 5 and the treble at 8. That sound usually works for me. Tube amp wise though you could try picking up a blackheart 15 watt for a decent price.

Also, look into the 18v mod for the EMGs.
thanks for the tips guys, I'm sorry but I just can't help but be anal about my tone haha. I do need to get a tube amp and I plan on it when I get the opportunity, but at the moment I don't have the money to spend on one and I bought the cube so I could learn a little more about amps and start to develop a better ear for tone before I stepped up to tube.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
about the mids - yes, I've tried turning the mids up higher but it changes the tone undesirably. besides, scooped mids are usually what makes that metal sound.

LOL.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
LOL.

what's so funny? I'm not saying "omg your tone sucks if you don't scoop your mids", I'm just saying that a majority of metal bands scoop their mids. you can't deny a general fact.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
I agree
I have a schecter hellraiser with emg 81 85 and a cube 60
I normally max my bass, max my presence and put treble at 6-7 and its really bassy and thick like I like it, but it seems like the only metal tone I can get that is good, tweeking it just makes it less this and less that, nothing good

I have no money for a nice tube yet, but for now will a distortion pedal help at all?
Quote by jdizzze1
I agree
I have a schecter hellraiser with emg 81 85 and a cube 60
I normally max my bass, max my presence and put treble at 6-7 and its really bassy and thick like I like it, but it seems like the only metal tone I can get that is good, tweeking it just makes it less this and less that, nothing good

I have no money for a nice tube yet, but for now will a distortion pedal help at all?

well it seems like we're in the same boat. a distortion pedal will just make it worse because it's not a tube amp. I wouldn't want to use a distortion pedal anyways since I have too much of it already.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60