i would like to record some guitar and i heard you can do it on your computer so where do i start?? and what programs am I going to need? I play Metal if that makes a difference.....
I would look into buying a recording interface.

Here is a good start:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/computer-hardware-recording-cards-audio-interfaces?N=100001+304891

What's your budget?
DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Welp, a good place to start is figuring out how much you want to spend. That price will include getting a microphone, mixer, program and other things (cables and "stuff"). Programs such as Audacity are free and easy to use.

How do you want to record?

Guitar through amp>microphone>mixer>program

Guitar into computer>program?

There are many different ways to do this. I wont get to them all, but take a look and you will find out for yourself.

Mic'ing the guitar and putting that through a mixer makes it easy to dial in EQ and make your guitar sound good before it hits the program. This can be cheap or expensive. If you just want to record yourself, get a cheap little behringer 2-6 channel mixer. More channels = more inputs, i.e. A 4 channel mixer can do guitar into ch1, rhythm guitar into ch2, bass ch3, vocals 4. More channels is more expensive, but you can also record your entire band at the same time.

Companies like Line 6 offer hardware to bolt into your computer which you can then plug your guitar into. It might also come with certain amps; so you can just plug in your guitar to the front of your computer and record away.

You just recording in your bedroom? Or do you want to put out a half-decent demo or something? How much money you got? It all matters...
i ve just started out recording and i am pleased with what ive got,

my gear is:

shure sm57 mic - £70
art tube mp preamp - £40

thats all you'll need, obviously you need cables to connect to your computer and you'll also need a recording software program which are easily downloaded from the internet
Quote by skilly1
i ve just started out recording and i am pleased with what ive got,

my gear is:

shure sm57 mic - £70
art tube mp preamp - £40

thats all you'll need, obviously you need cables to connect to your computer and you'll also need a recording software program which are easily downloaded from the internet

Thats a good setup. Nice thing about the Shure SM57 is that you will always use it for something. Its a really hot microphone.
So, how about your budget? We'll be able to help you a lot more if we have an idea of hwat you want to spend. Also, check out the stickies, particularly the recording on a budget one by moody. You'll find a lot of useful info.
There is poetry in despair.