I have been playing for a year now and play prty good (so ppl tell me) and my friend wants to start a death metal band and wants me to be the guitarist my style is similar to gary moore and jimi hendrix with an srv bluesy sound.

were should i start to try and learn to solo in death metal not rythm thats easy

i mean the shredding solos were should i start trieing to learn that?
Well since metal is derived from Blues, it shouldn't that hard.

Try messing around with some blues scales.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Well since metal is derived from Blues, it shouldn't that hard.

Try messing around with some blues scales.

wrong

i suggest you make sure your familiar with the natural, melodic, and harmonic minor scales. that will help you a lot
try learning some death songs, theyre solos and rythm can be pretty tricky
try some morbid angel and obituary also
and if you want a real challenge, try some tech death like cryptopsy, necrophagist, and quo vadis
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
i vote diminished.

But anyway, firstly i would say just get used to playing tech death riffs, before soloing.
Pentatonic does not work that well for Death Metal, at least I think so.

Look at some Behemoth, Conquer Alll has a fairly easy solo.

And BTW, rhythym in DM is not that easy, you need a lot of speed, technique and precision.

edit: Try playing Spheres of Madness by Decapitated to see feel what real DM feels like.
Quote by COBHC6
wrong

i suggest you make sure your familiar with the natural, melodic, and harmonic minor scales. that will help you a lot
try learning some death songs, theyre solos and rythm can be pretty tricky
try some morbid angel and obituary also
and if you want a real challenge, try some tech death like cryptopsy, necrophagist, and quo vadis

Wrong? Lol?

Learn your music. Sure natural, melodic, and harmonic minor are used...but you can't make a whole song out of them. They can be overused.
A lot of death metal has fairly complicated rhythm lol.. I wouldn't say it's easy at all. Either technical left hand stuff (Psycroptic, Decapitated, Necrophagist, etc.) or retardedly quick right hand stuff, (Iced Earth.. not death metal but still) which you will want to be very good at, and have some endurance with if you're going to play live. In many cases the rhythm can be just as hard as the solo's.

Spheres of Madness is a good start like the other dude said. The intro for Human's Dust by Decapitated is great to.
Last edited by Post?Organic at Apr 1, 2008,