Hello everyone i been looking around this forum for a while now and finally decided to join it. There seem to be many people on here that know there stuff. i been playing for 1 1/2 years now all self taught. Ive spent most of this time basically learning riff and trying to play some solos i like. I beleive that approach has gotten me broken in on alot of the techniques lead men use. I believe its much more fun to learn a awesome sounding solo than playing up and down boring scales lol. Now i have reached a point where im interested in learning the scales and some theory so i can take my playing to a new level and hopefully write some songs myself. I purchased a book/dvd combo coarse called: Total Scales Techniques and Applications. So far im pretty happy with it. The book basically starts out having you learn and memorize the "Natural Scale" in all postions which is pretty easy to understand but the thing that has me confused is...... All of the postions are labeled as, E postion Cmajor/Am, F postion Cmajor/Am, G postion Cmajor/Am...ect Its shows me the Cmajor root notes for each scale and the Am root notes for scale but what im not understanding is, how do u determine the A notes are Am and not A major or any other note in the scales for that matter. im sure its something simple im not getting b/c i understand the rest of it. i just dont like doing something that i dont understand why im doing it for lol. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
A minor and major have different notes, it shouldn't be hard to determine unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

A minor ascending- A B C D E F G
A major ascending- A B C# D E F# G#
Please paragraph next time, its quite hard to sift through that to see what you want.

Furthermore, it makes little sense as what you are asking, I suggest you take the book for granted, but learn some basic theory concerning keys and scales, as it seems you are quite confused.

Look right here on this great site for the lessons section and browse through that, there are millions for beginners.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Ok i see what your saying i believe, but im still confused on this book. Ill write down here what it says:

The two most common types of scales are the major and minor scales. A major scale has what some would describe as a bright or happy sound. A minor scales has what someone might describes as a mellow, soft or sad sound. The natural scale, ABCDEFG , consist of both the major and minor scales within its notes.

To Determine whether or not a scale is major or minor, in this cae, would depend on what we call the "root note".

The root note is the main note of a song/scale.

FOR EX: When using the natural scale, if our root note is a C note,CDEFGABC, our scale is major. If our root note is an A note, ABCDEFGA, our scale is minor. blah blah

So what im thinking is there using the same scale formula , ABCDEFGA, BCDEFGAB, CDEFGABC....ect but how are they determing weather the scale is minor or major by the root note? Thanks for the reply
Different scale formulas for the major and minor scales will help you. A whole step is W and a a half step H:
Major scale - WWHWWWH starting from root
Minor scale - WHWWHWW starting from root
Oh i see im getting some where now lol. The guy in this book is wanting me to learn the natural scale first, So i will know all of the notes around the fretboard, then all i have to basically do then is memorize the formulas like you gave me to get my different types of scales.

This book has the formulas for major, minor, penatonic, arabian, hungarian...ect. So i could learn about any scale with this book lol. Thanks for your time man!
Yes, make sure you know the major scale very well first; then once you learn the formulas for scales as opposed to just fingerings and positions you'll be set.
Yes i see what you mean. The only scale i know as of right now really is the Am penatonic. Ill get there sooner or later tho lol. if you get a chance type my user nmae in youtube and check out a few of my videos. Maybe you could give me some advice. i feel like im doing pretty decend tho considering i couldnt even play a single note a year and half ago.
I find this visual helps some people.

[WWHWW[WH]WWHWWW]

[Major Scale] CDEFGABC
[Natural Minor Scale] ABCDEFGA

Notice the natural minor starts on the 6th note (degree) of the major scale

EDIT: Hey, overall good technique. Your vibrato was controlled and your hand-positioning was good. My only advice is to practice those solos a little bit slower to a metronome to clean it up. And pay attention to your bends. hope it helps
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Mar 31, 2008,