So I know this a pretty generic question but..

Im looking to upgrade the pickups in my Ibanez arx100. I have an ENGL screamer as an amp.. the styles of music I play are mainly classic rock, metal, hardcore, and a bit of shred.. I need something thats really versatile so Im kind of unsure where to go with this.. some suggestions would be appreciated
If you're in the UK, try the Swineshead Venom in the bridge and Runaway or Condor in the neck. If not, I'm not really sure what to suggest.
A Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge has really good output, they have a good balance and are good for pinch harmonics, they also hold the bottom end down really well, thay also scream when distortion is added,(and Willie of Lamb of God uses them along with many other heavy bands), a Duncan 59' in the neck would make it a good balance having a solid rhythm pickup and a neck pickup that gives you smooth leads.
Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit- Oscar Wilde
Unfortunately Im in canada... budget is open by the way... nothing too too ridiculous thoujgh
the DiMarzio Breed for the bridge and Air Norton for the neck is the most versatile rock/metal combo I've ever had.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by ValoRhoads
EMG, nuff said

+1
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
I would look at something like the Bare Knuckle Painkillers if you're primarily doing "harder" music.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by ValoRhoads
EMG, nuff said

I like the way the do metal tones but will they be able to get the classic rock sound? Bands like Boston and Zeppelin
You have an amp with gain to spare so you don't need anything high output. I'd suggest you get something around 8.4K with PE wire and an alnico 5 magnet in the bridge and around 8.0K with alnico 2 or 5 in the neck. Alnico 2 will be more of a classic rock tone while alnico 5 will be more of an all around tone and better for metal. If you really wanted to get interesting you would use Formvar wire in the neck pickup for added clarity.

Any good pickup maker could do this for you. I could. www.sdpickups.com could and I'm sure tim over at BKP could hook you up too if you shot him an email.

Thats what I'd do anyway.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
You have an amp with gain to spare so you don't need anything high output. I'd suggest you get something around 8.4K with PE wire and an alnico 5 magnet in the bridge and around 8.0K with alnico 2 or 5 in the neck. Alnico 2 will be more of a classic rock tone while alnico 5 will be more of an all around tone and better for metal. If you really wanted to get interesting you would use Formvar wire in the neck pickup for added clarity.

Any good pickup maker could do this for you. I could. www.sdpickups.com could and I'm sure tim over at BKP could hook you up too if you shot him an email.

Thats what I'd do anyway.

That seems like a pretty good plan. What would the rough cost of something like that be?
dimarzio superdistortion or pafpro in the bridge and airnorton in the neck
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by zack_gb
That seems like a pretty good plan. What would the rough cost of something like that be?

Depends on who you got it from. It would be around $200 from me (rockmonkeyguitars), about $300 from dave (sdpickups) and around $380 from Tim (BKP).
Not taking any online orders.
EMG

81 in the bridge would be godly for rock and metal

dont know bout shred though
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
EMGs are terrible!!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by CorduroyEW
Depends on who you got it from. It would be around $200 from me (rockmonkeyguitars), about $300 from dave (sdpickups) and around $380 from Tim (BKP).

hmm ok thats not too bad. Ill be sure to talk to you guys when I scrap the cash together.

as to those recommending emgs.. I like the metal sounds but Im not sure if they can pull off that classic rock tone I want.. e.g boston, zeppelin, pink floyd