I've been studying heavy metal solo's lately. I've got a lot of the techniques down. (Sweep Picking, legato, alternate picking, etc.) But speed seems to be my issue.

I've been trying to play this solo It's the second solo from "Sixpounder" By Children of Bodom

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/children_of_bodom/six_pounder_ver4_guitar_pro.htm

I've been focusing specifically on the first 3 bars. I can play all the notes one by one but I can't seem to play it along with the song. I'm thinking that my fretting technique might be slowing me down. I seem to only be using my index and ring fingers. Is there a better technique that I can use to speed it up?

Basically I'm just asking what the best way to play the first three bars is.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by yearzero at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by yearzero
I've been focusing specifically on the first 3 bars. I can play all the notes one by one but I can't seem to play it along with the song. I'm thinking that my fretting technique might be slowing me down. I seem to only be using my index and ring fingers. Is there a better technique that I can use to speed it up?

You answered the question before you even asked it, and you're still unclear? Of course that'll hurt you in terms of speed and accuracy; use the other two fingers and everything will be easier.
What frets am I supposed to be hitting with what fingers though?

This is what I've been doing:

I hammer from 17 to 19 with my index and ring finger

I reach down and get 16 on the B string with my index

I get 18 on B with my ring

I reach down and get 18 on e with my index

Basically I've noticed that I keep trying to play it as past as possible with my index and my ring fingers. Is there a better way that might help with my speed and accuracy? I'm not getting the fluid sound that Alexi gets
Quote by yearzero
What frets am I supposed to be hitting with what fingers though?

This is what I've been doing:

I hammer from 17 to 19 with my index and ring finger

I reach down and get 16 on the B string with my index

I get 18 on B with my ring

I reach down and get 18 on e with my index

Basically I've noticed that I keep trying to play it as past as possible with my index and my ring fingers. Is there a better way that might help with my speed and accuracy? I'm not getting the fluid sound that Alexi gets

Here's what I'm getting from that:

e---17h19-----------17---------------
B------------16--18---------------
G-----------------------------
D-----------------------------
A-----------------------------
E-----------------------------

I'd go middle to ring for 17h19, index on 16, ring on 18 and then middle on the last 17.
||----------------------------------------|
||--------------------16------------18----------|
||--17------17-19----19-17-15----19-17-15-|

--18----------20-18-15-20-18-15-------------------|
-----20-18-16-------------------------18-16-20-18-16----|
---------------------------------------------------------------19-|
--------------------------------------------------|

I apologize for the poor transcription. These are the first two bars (the third is just a repeat of the first.) Do the same techniques apply?
Quote by yearzero
||--------------------16------------18----------|
||--17------17-19----19-17-15----19-17-15-|

--18----------20-18-15-20-18-15-------------------|
-----20-18-16-------------------------18-16-20-18-16----|
---------------------------------------------------------------19-|

I apologize for the poor transcription. These are the first two bars (the third is just a repeat of the first.) Do the same techniques apply?

I tend to use one finger per fret up there on the neck, whatever feels comfortable is what you should start working with, but here's how I'd do it (just going straight through, each finger is a new note):

Middle, middle, pinky, index, pinky, middle, index, ring, pinky, middle, index, ring, pinky (stretch a bit to get this), ring, index, pinky, ring, index, pinky, ring, index, ring, index, pinky, ring, index, ring.

Think that should be accurate, sorry if it's a little confusing but give that a shot.
Hey thanks a lot for the help man

I'm gathering that there really is no ONE right way to do something like this. I was just sure that only using two fingers was the wrong way to go.
No problem; a lot of it's in personal comfort, but remember that more fingers will increase speed and accuracy and will actually become comfortable over time.
One finger per fret is probably your best bet, however. When developing economy of motion, it can really cripple you if you don't employ your pinky so much. For the first thing :-D posted I would do it middle pinky index ring middle. Just a practice tip.
Thanks again everyone

I've been using :-D's tips and I'm already noticing a slight improvement. It still doesn't feel too natural but I suppose everything will work out with time and practice now that I have a correct technique to base my practice on.