I am really sorry to start yet another which amp thread but here goes... *prepares to be flamed*

Im looking for a tube amp for metal. I know there are millions of threads on this type of question but i cant find the answers im looking for. I have a budget of around £450 (GBP) and will be using the amp for bedroom purposes. At the moment im swaying towards a Peavey Valveking. Ive always wanted a JCM 2000 stack, but A i cant afford it and B i dont need something as powerful as that. However im aware that there is a combo version DSL-401, will this be ideal? The problem i have is not being able to test these amps out as the nearest guitar shop to me stocks sweet F all. Ive also heard alot of buzz about Randalls recently and wondered if anyone had played an RG-50 TC? I have also looked at the new Spider Valve. I play mainly metal, anything from early Metallica to Behemoth and Arch Enemy. I really dig Michael Amotts tone of Arch Enemey, but i believe he uses Krank and his new signiture Randall head. Yet again im sorry to start yet another which amp thread but im taking quite a risk buying something online without playing it, but its the only option and a little advice could go a long way. Thanks.
Well for one, the DSL401 is a little loud for bedroom playing, you won't be able to crank it. And it's not the best for metal, but it can do Metallica type stuff. Not sure about the Valveking.
yeah thats a problem i have, i want to get the benefits of a tube amp but i know this means cranking it... but what the hell i live in an area of student houses.
Quote by Luke_Senior
yeah thats a problem i have, i want to get the benefits of a tube amp but i know this means cranking it... but what the hell i live in an area of student houses.
Well with anything over 15w tube, you're gonna become unpopular with your neighbours!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by sofubar
Well for one, the DSL401 is a little loud for bedroom playing, you won't be able to crank it. And it's not the best for metal, but it can do Metallica type stuff. Not sure about the Valveking.

i find my dsl401 sounds good at low volume

i dont know how heavy you want to go with the amp but theres a few very good videos of a guy doing some metalica solos with only the dsl401 and a les paul, sad but true, of wolf and man and one were the videos i think
cheers, i will check it out. can anyone give me advice on the valveking, spider valve, or randall?
IMO a Valveking 112 with a new speaker and new tubes would sound much better than a stock DSL401.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
IMO a Valveking 112 with a new speaker and new tubes would sound much better than a stock DSL401.

but would it sound better than a dsl401 with a new speaker and new valves?
Quote by MrCarrot

that is a good idea, it would probably work out around the same price of a stock DSL
Quote by scottish nutter

Depends which speaker and which tubes you put in it Vintage 30 speaker and JJ tubes seem to be the most popular for the DSL401. IMO it sounds very nice stock, especially cranked. So with those two, well, probably sounds BEASTLY.

Yes.
Quote by sofubar
Depends which speaker and which tubes you put in it Vintage 30 speaker and JJ tubes seem to be the most popular for the DSL401. IMO it sounds very nice stock, especially cranked. So with those two, well, probably sounds BEASTLY.

Yes.

Dont get the dsl its crap (unless you wanna buy mine lol)

Crate v30

£250

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWj1-XcX2E&feature=related
Last edited by AM666 at Apr 1, 2008,
Quote by scottish nutter
Maybe, maybe not, but it would be over £100 cheaper, and I find the Valveking a very versatile amp, with EL34s it transforms into a beast.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
its really annoying not being able to play these amps, but im told that my local guitar shop will be having a valveking shipped in pretty soon so hopefuly ill get to play the thing before buying one of the net.