Page 1 of 2
I have always wondered this about writing credits. I was wikipedia-ing the album Conspiracy by King Diamond. King is credited with the lyrics on all tracks, but on some tracks he is also credited with the music. I have only known King to sing and play keyboards. When he is credited for the music to the song, does this mean he picked up a guitar and actually wrote the song? Or did he just sit and tell Andy "Yea, that sounds good." or "No, in my head it sounds like this, try it this way." If anyone could clear this up I would appreciate it, it may be a stupid question.
he probably wrote the music and gave it to the guitarist. you don't have to tab out guitar music.
He used to play guitar back in the day, so I imagine he can probably play quite well - though I think all the solos are done by Andy.
Quote by whatadrag
he probably wrote the music and gave it to the guitarist. you don't have to tab out guitar music.

Huh, I guess that's a pretty obvious answer, I never thought about that. Thanks.
(I didn't know Magero played bass , cool)

And, yeah, how do you explain people who play bass and write guitar...they probably just write either root note stuff (hopefully not) or something epic, technical, or groovy and then the guitarist builds off of it. So, the bassist would get credit for creating the structure, and the guitarist for adding something else to it.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory

I laughed at the lyric book for Metallica's Kill 'Em All because Dave Mustaine was noted for the work on some songs.
Quote by Magero
Hehe, my drummer hates the fact that I write better music than any guitarist we've ever had
Symphonic Prog Death for the win!

Yes, Prog in general for the win.

I normally write stuff, but a guitarist/singer writing most of the stuff isn't new or anything

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I do all the writing (for me and the rhythm guitarist), and our bassist and drummer build off of what I come up with.
Well, I write the lyrics, vocal patterns, rhythm guitar, some lead, acoustic guitar, bass occaisionally, and sometimes drums.

Edit: This sounds like I'm bragging, sorry if it comes off that way

Quote by eggsandham2
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well, I write the lyrics, vocal patterns, rhythm guitar, some lead, acoustic guitar, bass occaisionally, and sometimes drums.

I think you'd understand the awesome feeling when someone asks who wrote each part in a song then

"Wow, this is awesome, who wrote the piano?"
"Oh that was me"
"Oh awesome, how about the strings?"
"...Me"
"Oh mad, you classically trained?"
"Uh...hehe, no..."
"How can you write it then?"
".....Luck?"
I do that all the time. I have no theory training...but, people like my stuff (so do I...) so I guess that's win?

Well, this only happens when I'm in a good mood. If I feel lousy, my writing is lousy

Quote by eggsandham2
Magero has officially won a thread.

Quote by eggsandham2
Now, now...remember.

Victory is failure's second cousin

Quote by eggsandham2
Aww...you got me there...

But, awesome threesome with 2 goth chicks can be closely related to threesome with 2 black dudes

Quote by eggsandham2
Only because "threesome with 2 black dudes" is going out with "got herpes from a hooker". Didn't you hear man? "threesome with 2 black dudes" and "eats goldfish on a Tuesday" broke up.
Godflabbit, kids these days.

(Best fun I've had since the Monty Python chat on the Opeth thread )

Quote by eggsandham2
Well, if this thread hasn't gone off the trail of on topic into what we call Pit Material, I don't know what would.

Quote by eggsandham2
Well, then in that case.

*Whips out some mad Hapkido skills on Magero's ass*

Quote by eggsandham2
King wrote the music for Finalized, Let It Be Done, and I think some of Sleepless Nights... not sure though! But yeah its common, I used to write everything for my old band, even though I was the vocalist.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Magero
*traps inside giant glass box, throws into ocean*

*vows to avenge himself in another life*

(We could make a corny movie out of this, no?)

Quote by eggsandham2
So how does this work? Must one know how to read music in order to write music?
In order to write non-tabbed music?

Pretty much

You need to know what an A# looks like on a staff to be able to apply it.

Quote by eggsandham2
As long as you know basic units of measurement (8ths, 16ths, 32nds, etc) and have an idea in your head, you can write anything.

Well, in guitar pro anyway

And I can't read music. Like, at all... If you gave me 10 minutes, I could figure out a few bars, but nothing more than that.
I kinda know some notes, but only because I took trumpet lessons for three years and piano lessons for five

Quote by eggsandham2
Pfft, cheat

I took two lessons on bass, about 3 years ago. That's it aye.
I hate people telling me I'm never gonna get anywhere unless I'm classically trained...
Hey, I agree, I hate it when people are like "Nub, learn theory, it'll expand yer horizons!"

Sometimes, I'd rather pull out something randomly that I like, and work on it, than have "perfect" notes and 4/4 (ewwy) timing down.

Quote by eggsandham2
Exactly. Reminds me of something Seth Shadows said a while back.

"Most people don't know how to write synth parts, they just write what sounds good"

To me, that's just blatant bullshit. The entire point of music is to write what sounds good, not what "fits".

Theory is good to have, but people who have theory as their main priority are usually un-fun in their music.

Quote by eggsandham2
this thread just goes to show how much versitility there is to writing songs.
Like i start off with lyrics then make the vocal patterns and then make the instramentals to fit. backwards from what ive been reading but it flows so easy that was for me
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Page 1 of 2