So, I've being wanting to do a solo project, I'll be doing everything e.g. Drums, bass, guitar, vocals, songwriting.

I was wanting to know, I wanted a nirvana type sound, but I've being listening to Nirvana for riffs, and I've tried making riffs. But only made and its the verse riff. I was wondering how do you guys make riffs, any advice, because I just end up sitting here for ages, playing about but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated
It's really just playing around and finding what sounds good to you especially for nirvana type stuff not to mention most rock.

I would say record what you're playing and then play it back. Your ear can process things differently when your playing and when your just listening.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Cheers mate ^_^

Someone replied, do you also know how I could add distortion if I recorded the part through my laptop using audicity. Like add some guitar effects.
Quote by Cammeh
Cheers mate ^_^

Someone replied, do you also know how I could add distortion if I recorded the part through my laptop using audicity. Like add some guitar effects.

I have yet to try it, but I would think a Distortion pedal would work fine.
Quote by ncm414
I have yet to try it, but I would think a Distortion pedal would work fine.

No ****, how did you work that out?

I'm 11, stop being bitchy. I know about distortion pedals. I was wondering if there was some type of sound editing program, that could add distortion effects.
Quote by Cammeh
No ****, how did you work that out?

I'm 11, stop being bitchy. I know about distortion pedals. I was wondering if there was some type of sound editing program, that could add distortion effects.

sorry to have sounded "bitchy" it wasn't intended.
the key is to learn some theory and then forget it while you are trying to write riffs...

what i mean is, know what note you're gonna start on, but then just go by feel. It's the best way to write original stuff. Once you have a few notes in a row that you like, keep playing them and adding to them, and taking away, and so on... if you keep jamming around those few notes and try different stuff every few bars, you'll be riffing in no time.
guitar rig 3.0 ftfw

but really the best thing you can do is just sit down and jam. being 11 you probably haven't written many songs (or maybe any) just start writing and writing and keep going. its a never ending process. by the way, chances are your first 50 - 100 songs won't be too great. don't let that stop you. i was writing music for about 3 years before i wrote my first song that i thought was really good (i still think its really good and its so incredibly simple) everything i wrote sounded like metallica (which would be great if metallica weren't already a band)

the best thing you can do is record yourself and let a LOT of people listen to it. let people you don't know listen to it as they'll be the most honest your friends and family will want to encourage you and tell you it sounds good even if it doesn't. in fact, i'd say let the biggest a$$holes you know listen to it. and if/when they tell you it sucks take it with a grain of salt. not every song is gonna be a #1 hit.

also be BRUTALLY HONEST with yourself when you listen to it, the sign of a good musician imo is the one who listens to their own work and can hear where improvement is needed where no one else can. i'm not saying get down on your work, but be honest with it. looking back at the time when i wrote my first songs, at the time i thought they were great but my friends were honest and told me that they weren't. over time i started really analyzing the songs and listening to what they were saying.

all in all. don't stop doing it, if it's something you really love you'll keep going.
Quote by z4twenny
guitar rig 3.0 ftfw

but really the best thing you can do is just sit down and jam. being 11 you probably haven't written many songs (or maybe any) just start writing and writing and keep going. its a never ending process. by the way, chances are your first 50 - 100 songs won't be too great. don't let that stop you. i was writing music for about 3 years before i wrote my first song that i thought was really good (i still think its really good and its so incredibly simple) everything i wrote sounded like metallica (which would be great if metallica weren't already a band)

the best thing you can do is record yourself and let a LOT of people listen to it. let people you don't know listen to it as they'll be the most honest your friends and family will want to encourage you and tell you it sounds good even if it doesn't. in fact, i'd say let the biggest a$$holes you know listen to it. and if/when they tell you it sucks take it with a grain of salt. not every song is gonna be a #1 hit.

also be BRUTALLY HONEST with yourself when you listen to it, the sign of a good musician imo is the one who listens to their own work and can hear where improvement is needed where no one else can. i'm not saying get down on your work, but be honest with it. looking back at the time when i wrote my first songs, at the time i thought they were great but my friends were honest and told me that they weren't. over time i started really analyzing the songs and listening to what they were saying.

all in all. don't stop doing it, if it's something you really love you'll keep going.

Wow, thanks. I'm gobsmacked, its just wierd lol, good advice, I don't wanna stop writing I love making lil songs, but this is the first I've ever gonna try and record.