Page 1 of 2
Can a D Tuna (or tuner), go on an Ibanez Rg Series 350 Dx Edge III Floating Tremolo? Thanks.
So long as it's double locking, I'm pretty sure it'll work.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm a complete noob at guitar stuff. What's a double locking trem?
You have one.

I think it'll work.

Don't quote me on that though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think it'll work too, but I want to be completely sure. Any second opinions?
It wont work on a floating trem. You'll have to make it fixed. If you dont and use it on your floyd (in its floating position) everything will go out of tune right when you use it, which in my opinion sort of defeats the point.
it only works on OFRs and LFRS in the style of an original, so it wont work on the ibanez!

if you had one of the trems that would work, you need to block it off because when a trem floats, if the tension changes all the strings go out. The D-tuna has to change the tension to swap from E to D.

I've got one on my wolfgang and its pretty cool, but its one of the few guitars that comes set up with a dive only locking trem
Top lel.
Is there a way to change the floating trem to a fixed trem?
yeah theres a couple of ways, but a d-tuna won't fit on the trem on your ibanez (i'm told anyway)
Top lel.
I really need one on it since I use Drop D as much as standard.
i just checked your RG on the ibanez site, d-tuna definetly cant be fitted to it because the bolts you tighten to hold the strings in place are on top of the bridge

its probably easier to get another guitar really
Top lel.
Yes, the D-tuna works only on the OFR and LFR look-a-likes. It wont work on an Ibanez.

BUT, the way to keep it on tune isn't necessarily making it a fixed bridge, but to install something called a "hipshot trem-setter".

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

Its pretty much the best thing you can do instead of permanently installing a block of wood into your guitar or buying another.

Here's what my dads friend did...

He put an OFR, D-Tuna and hipshot on the guitar that he used for the most part. That way it kept in tune all the time when he played with the bar, he could drop the low "E" and not worry about other strings going out of tune and play in standard.

So, the answer to your question is no, it wont fit but these are the things you must do in order to achieve that. Most people just get a second guitar, because to install all of these things and get them working perfectly takes hours upon hours and patients few have.
Quote by fob12
There's no way to mod it?

well you could swap to an OFR so the d-tuna could fit on it...
i've seen people recomending that

in the UK the trem unit can cost like maybe £160 or something...
i dunno if its a direct swap though

you would still need to block it somehow though to make the d-tuna work even if you did swap it
Top lel.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Yes, the D-tuna works only on the OFR and LFR look-a-likes. It wont work on an Ibanez.

BUT, the way to keep it on tune isn't necessarily making it a fixed bridge, but to install something called a "hipshot trem-setter".

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

Its pretty much the best thing you can do instead of permanently installing a block of wood into your guitar or buying another.

Here's what my dads friend did...

He put an OFR, D-Tuna and hipshot on the guitar that he used for the most part. That way it kept in tune all the time when he played with the bar, he could drop the low "E" and not worry about other strings going out of tune and play in standard.

So, the answer to your question is no, it wont fit but these are the things you must do in order to achieve that. Most people just get a second guitar, because to install all of these things and get them working perfectly takes hours upon hours and patients few have.

Forgive me because I don't know much about guitars here, but from what I gathered, I install both the D Tuna and Hipshot and I'll be a be able to go from E Standard to Drop D without detuning the rest of the guitar? Just E to D and back to E just with flipping it or pulling it or however you do that?

Patients isn't the problem, since I'll probably have a professional do it and buy everything I need on ebay. I just want to find a way so that it will work.
Patients?

Anyways, the Tremsetter is a good solution, and it has the advantage that if you snap a string the whole thing won't go out of tune. The downside is that you can feel the zero point when you're going from push-down to pull-up in one motion.

Another gadget is the Tremol-No, which can either block the tremolo completely or make it dive-only, both of which would enable the D-Tuna to work fine. However, as has already been stated, you can't have a D-Tuna on your current trem.
I can't have it on my current trem, but I can install something on my trem that will make it able to work? I'm lost.
Quote by fob12
Forgive me because I don't know much about guitars here, but from what I gathered, I install both the D Tuna and Hipshot and I'll be a be able to go from E Standard to Drop D without detuning the rest of the guitar? Just E to D and back to E just with flipping it or pulling it or however you do that?

Patients isn't the problem, since I'll probably have a professional do it and buy everything I need on ebay. I just want to find a way so that it will work.

You got it. The hipshot is like.....30? plus the $50 d-tuna thingy and you should be good.

Now, although this is what he did it was years ago. Call up hipshot and ask them if this is possible. You can set the tension on the springs so that the other strings dont go out of tune; it SHOULD be enough to work; since it obviously worked for my dad's friend.

Again, e-mail or call them up (hipshot) explaining what you are doing and if the spring on the device is strong enough to hold the rest of the springs in tune.

P.S. I remember when he broke a string on his ibby with a OFR on it ON STAGE and finished the song perfectly in tune! Now....thats just rediculous.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Patients?

Anyways, the Tremsetter is a good solution, and it has the advantage that if you snap a string the whole thing won't go out of tune. The downside is that you can feel the zero point when you're going from push-down to pull-up in one motion.

Another gadget is the Tremol-No, which can either block the tremolo completely or make it dive-only, both of which would enable the D-Tuna to work fine. However, as has already been stated, you can't have a D-Tuna on your current trem.

HAHA! Perfect timing.

Patience*
Quote by fob12
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-D-Tuna-Drop-D-Tuning-System-361390-i1130129.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hipshot-Tremsetter-401000-Tremolo-Stabilizer-360830-i1172819.gc

So I get both of those, and I'll be able to use the D Tuna on my floating trem right? And will I still be able to pull up as well as dive down with the Whammy bar?

99% sure.

Gimmie a pic of your trem and i'll let you know. You wont be able to pull up all the way or make your strings super-floppy. But it will dive well enough to sound cool and pull back for the really high pitched screaming harmonics.
A. Get a LFR look-a-like that will accept the D-tuna OR buy an OFR that definatly accepts one. Either way, it will cost a lot.

B. But another guitar. This will cost a lot as well, but hey, its another guitar. This makes the most sense to me, cause you wont decrease the value of the guitar you have now by drilling and installing the hipshot. You will have another guitar to drop and keep dropped all the time. A different guitar you can put different srtings on, make sound different and may be more tailored to playing the "drop D" style you are playing.

Try getting another guitar, everyone does when they want to keep one in standard and one dropped.
The entire point of me going through the hassle of this is because I can't afford a new guitar, and before a new guitar, an amp is the priority. What is an LFR and OFR? I understand they're Floyd Rose type tremolos, hence the "FR", but how much are they? And you're certain there's no way to mod my guitar to make it somehow possible for the D Tuna to work?
Quote by fob12
The entire point of me going through the hassle of this is because I can't afford a new guitar, and before a new guitar, an amp is the priority. What is an LFR and OFR? I understand they're Floyd Rose type tremolos, hence the "FR", but how much are they? And you're certain there's no way to mod my guitar to make it somehow possible for the D Tuna to work?

LFR = Licensed Floyd Rose

OFR = Original Floyd Rose

The licensed ones are found on Ibanez, Jackson, ESP etc. The D-tuna is meant to fit OFR, so the LFR that look SIMILAR will also work. The Edge that you have looks nothing like it.

Without using a tremol-no or blocking off your trem, which would eliminate all whammy bar usage, you cannot use the d-tuna without re-tuning the strings. Sorry, but you're going to have to learn to live with either standard or drop; no go-betweens.
OFR= Original Floyd Rose. LFR=Licensed Floyd Rose.

You can generally count on the OFRs to be good. However, all originals aren't equally good. If you can find one made by Schaller, go for it. But although most LFRs are cruddy as all hell, certain ones are really awesome. Schaller makes an LFR too, which is rock solid. I believe the one made by Gotoh is good too.
Quote by dogismycopilot
LFR = Licensed Floyd Rose

OFR = Original Floyd Rose

The licensed ones are found on Ibanez, Jackson, ESP etc. The D-tuna is meant to fit OFR, so the LFR that look SIMILAR will also work. The Edge that you have looks nothing like it.

Without using a tremol-no or blocking off your trem, which would eliminate all whammy bar usage, you cannot use the d-tuna without re-tuning the strings. Sorry, but you're going to have to learn to live with either standard or drop; no go-betweens.

I thought I read though that I'd still be able to dive with the whammy, just not pull up?

Same guitar as mine, ZR bridge with a d-tuna system on it (see the metal screw thing?)

I don't think you can get those for the Edge 3's though. I'm looking to get the normal screw pieces for mine though, I never use it and I sometimes hit my funny bone on it right in the nerves and it kills...

EDIT: Epic picture size, apologies for those with dial-up.
Funny words.
^^^ Nice guitar. See, why can't I just do that with mine? I don't understand.
To Iron Man - Nice guitar man, exact same as mine Its quite rare to see them, they are gorgeous though!
Diezel, Motherfucker
Thanks for all your help everyone. Really helped me out a lot.

I just need to know which gadget(s) I need to get so the D Tuna will work with my FR Setup.
Quote by fob12
^^^ Nice guitar. See, why can't I just do that with mine? I don't understand.

That part is totally differant than a D-tuna. Same concept, different manufacturer. Thats called a "downshifter" and its make by Ibanez. I believe they are currently on backorder...

There are two kinds of Downshifter, one that bolts onto the ZR trem and ZR trem only and one that screws onto the body of a guitar. Google it and you will find both.

This guy would be the first place that would have it.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/
just out of curiosty, see the ibanez drop tuner on the pic up there, does that allow you to still use the trem in its fully floating state? or do you need to use the bolt in the back to hold it steady?
Top lel.
Just get a Tremol-no

That way you can have it on fixed bridge mode and be able to tune to drop D. Although you will only have lowering pitch whammy usage if you get a newer Tremol-no.

Problem solved.
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by fob12
Thanks for all your help everyone. Really helped me out a lot.

I just need to know which gadget(s) I need to get so the D Tuna will work with my FR Setup.

There are no gadgets you can get. As people have already said, the D-Tuna only fits on OFR style bridges where the string clamp bolts come all the way through the whale tail, it can't be used on low profile style floyds with short bolts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2