It was mentioned on here a little while back that the Marshall Guv'nor may be a good distortion for bass. I happened to have a friend who owned one, so I sought him out and got my hands on one. Here are my thoughts on it as a bass distortion

It is a great distortion for bass, but the sound may not be for you. I didn't have much time to try and get different tones out of it, but what little tweaking I did led me to believe you can get some decent tones out of it. I think it sounded best with a pick, but that's my taste.

My strings are approaching death, so I wasn't totally pleased with the tone, but under the circumstances, it did just dandy. I tested it out with my 100w 1x15" Fender amp by itself and that ran into a full system with an 18" sub and two 12" mains. It sounded fine both ways, better with the full system, of course. One thing I was surprised with was how little bottom-end I lost. It has a "Deep" knob which is supposed to emulate the sound of a 4x12" for small guitar amps, but it also served the purpose of compensating for the lost bottom guitar distortions on bass are known for.

Gain, Deep, 3-band EQ, Volume. All served their purpose well. It you're into super-high-gain tones for bass, this isn't for you. With the gain at 12:00 playing fingerstyle, the distortion was hardly noticeable, but there. Gain full, with a pick, there was all the distortion I'd ever need for bass, but it might be lacking for some crazy "bass" players who like the sound of a kazoo run through two Big Muffs and a Krank amp.

One thing I seem to remember is that this pedal affects your tone a lot. Yeah, of course it makes it distorted, it almost seemed like if you want your tone, but distorted, you might not get it. If you're okay with that, though, go for it.

In short: All in all, good pedal: nice tones, despite my dead strings, bottom-end loss, but not severe. I like a buttload of bass in my tone anyway, so you folks might find it just your cup of tea.

-rav3n
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Thanks man.
I have wanted to try one of these out for a while but None of my local music shops stock them!
Quote by t3hrav3n
but it might be lacking for some crazy "bass" players who like the sound of a kazoo run through two Big Muffs and a Krank amp.

Nice review, but is this supposed to go here? I doubt I'd use a guitar distortion on bass, but if I'm ever in a situation where I need to use one I'll know what to use.

G' Review

- ATB
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Isn't it a very expensive pedal?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by AboveTheBridge
Nice review, but is this supposed to go here? I doubt I'd use a guitar distortion on bass, but if I'm ever in a situation where I need to use one I'll know what to use.

I know there were some folks around here that were curious about it as a bass distortion, but I didn't want to make a full-on review. It's definitely a decent pedal. Most times, bassists pick bass distortions over guitar is because they're made to not loose as much low-end. This pedal doesn't do that very much, so it's worth giving a look if you're into dist. for bass.

Quote by thefitz
Isn't it a very expensive pedal?

I thought so, too, but GC dot com lists it as $70. Go figure.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
I was thinking, for some reason, you were talking about the English Muff'n - with the tube in it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm pretty sure it's the reissue. Sorry, no soundclips, but I may get some eventually. If I ever decide I need a distortion for bass, this will definitely be on my list of things to try.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
I didn't play with it too much, but I'm thinking that I could've gotten that tone if I had newer strings.

...Man I need new strings. I'll have to dip into the band fund and get some. $35 for a 5-er set of Rotos, though...dang.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist