i want to get a guitar for $300 as soon as possible. i've had a look at my options and my best are either an ibanez rg2ex1 or a refurbished epiphone les paul standard.
im impressed by the les paul, but the thing is, the refurbished items are always going in and out of stock and i seem to miss my chances of purchasing it when i can. the outlet i want to get it from is currently out of stock.
im a fan of various forms of rock, and not too 'metal' inclined although i do appreciate it. so im not sure if i should take the plunge and just go for the ibanez (ive heard good things about it)... or wait for weeks for a cheap les paul to come along.

any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks.

(if it helps, im also getting a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT)
squire stratocasters are within that price range, though not as good as an ibanez
i know that the ibanez isnt exactly versatile, but can it satisfy my alternativ rock/punk needs?
got a sick rg270DX for 250... only because there was a dent in it... right now i sent it to repair.
Its a sick guitar though. Definitely a decent IBANEZ. GET ONE.
Quote by Steven E
squire stratocasters are within that price range, though not as good as an ibanez

Get out..

Now!

How dare you compare one of those failures in guitar form to an ibanez.
the g400 is in my range, but i just seem to have an idea that its somewhat inferior and my friend has played them and told me he was not impressed.
(i dont live in an area where i can try them out, so i took his word for it)
^G-400's are by no means bad. Their only real downside is not-so-great pups and neck-heaviness. That's it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It sounds like the LP will be better for you, especially if you arent as inclined to metal. Go for the LP.

Quote by mugen_infinity
well, at this stage i guess its between the g400 and the rg2ex1.

Well like i said before the Ibanez will suit you for more metal stuff, i say go for the G400, thats what i would do.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Bought the RG2EX2 (exactly the same thing as an RG2EX1) and I'd say it was worth the money. The neck plays very nicely, and the pickups are average. I'm thinking of replacing them, but overall this guitar feels and plays nice.
All your base are belong to us.
You're looking at the biggest difference between Ibanez and Epiphones being the physical feel of the guitar.
The pickups in Epis and Ibanez both suck. They "work", but they do not "sound good."
If you have a crap amp you won't notice.
My vote goes for the Epiphone LP Standard.
And for a beginner, the Vox AD-series amps are nice. I still rock mine whilst I await a new tube combo to replace the Blackheart I fried.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Epiphone Les Paul Studio is a great way to go.

The best thing to do would be to save a hundred dollars and get a fender stratocaster.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
is a les paul studio the same as a standard but just 'uglier'? because if it is, im all for it
Try the G-400 out
Trust me it's good

I had the same debate as you
I tried the RGEX1 and it had nice metal sound
But on anything else but an metal amp model it sounded icky

Then I tried out the G-400...
It plays it all
Now it doesn't have as nice metal sound as the RGex1
But it played damn good on any amp model

And the Cherry Red one is beautiful dude. lol
I got it for $275 at a local shop
(Go local, they can lower price to your budget)

Only cons, is the G-400 is neck heavy
Meaning when you let go of the neck when you stand the neck goes to the floor
But it's not that bad
I mean you can hold the neck up with your pinky
It's just when letting it go
and that's about the only con lol
Quote by mugen_infinity
is a les paul studio the same as a standard but just 'uglier'? because if it is, im all for it
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=518351

yea thats about right. the standard sounds a little better but not much better. Its bassically the same thing.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
thanks for all the help. its down to the les paul studio and g400. but since my original intention was to get a les paul. ill go for the studio... looks dont mean much to me at this stage, seeing as how itll be my first guitar.

(then for my second guitar.. ill go for the glorious iceman =P )
get a jackson warrior wrjs
Quote by Green_Jelly

Quote by gnomieowns
damn. can't you get your girlfrie...
nevermind.
Right now you're offending at least 75% of the Pit.

jackson warrior on the way in $400
I also recommend the G-400. I love mine, and you'll get used to the neck dive.
I love mine to death.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
definitely get an ibanez rg2ex1. thats probably the best deal you can get for $300. dont get an epiphone. they sound horrible and are difficult to play (for me). if not the rg2ex1, look into other ibanez guitars i'm sure you'll find something
same here dude, i was going to get that black epi on music123 for 299 but its always going out of stock, which brought up a good point, why do they keep getting them in stock if they're refurbished. so i ordered the RG2EX1 last friday, and should be here thursday. cant wait
Officer Nole07 of the U.G.P.D

Quote by rockybo
Honestly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So some moron put evidence of me exposing her stupidity in her signature, why should I care?
Last edited by Nole07 at Mar 31, 2008,