Well... I'd make sure you're playing the scales properly and using them right ones with the right chords because major and minor scales shouldn't sound the same.

Secondly, you probably need to practice your phrasing. That's what makes guitarists different from other guitarists, the fact that they all see music in a different way and therefore have different phrasing.
well you've only been playing for a year so be patient.

listen to a lot of different types of music and try to incorporate what you hear and learn it into your improvisations
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
buddy..any self respecting musician can tell you that they've been through the same thing..i went through it, i've been playing bass rigorously for 2 years (it may not sound like a long time..but i bust my chops whacking the crap out of my bass), and believe me..its just a process with music, you just need to practice and it comes with time..but believe me when i say every single musician i've talked to has been through what you're describing as well..you just have to keep an open mind about things and try look for different sounds while doing your own thing

music is like a flowing river buddy, who knows what waits at the end of that river? you just gotta keep on paddlin' my friend.

ps. i dont know a single thing about theory so i can't help you there
throw away..your television
Quote by ASClark
So ive been playing for almost a year now. just recently i have begun to learn theory, and trying to apply it to my music. Im in a band, but i cant come up with anything "new". it all sounds the same, a different chord progression with a different minor sounding riff. I can improvise over dorian/minor penta/aeolian/major scales, but it always sounds the same. My blues improv couldnt be more boring, every1 around me always knows whats coming next. It seems as tho my musical skills arent developing as fast as id hoped they would, only my speed and technique seems to get better. I dont know what todo,im stuck

My advice would be to learn some other artist's songs. Vary the ones you learn, try some blues, metal, classical, jazz, technical instrumental rock, new age etc.
I find my creativity comes in bursts - I write loads sometimes and are creatively burned for a while after that. When this happens I turn my attention to other peoples songs. At the moment I'm trying to cover Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells - no easy task.
Last edited by mfinnan101 at Mar 31, 2008,
Well, what I would do is to try and be different. Like take your first idea for the solo, and throw it out the window. Take a totally different approach to solos.
Im going through a similiar thing I try to practice in other scales but that does'nt seem to do much of anything so I just listen to diffrent bands and look up on there technique.