Soon I am going to buy a Gibson Les Paul standard, but I really like playing songs by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I have a strat copy that does the job, and I will buy a Fender in the summer, but can you get that funky stuff on a Les Paul?
It sounds a bit odd. It can be pulled off, but it doesn't sound quite "right". Shouldn't be a big deal, though. Putting it on the treble pickup and lowering your mids helps.
Humbuckers just lack that shimmery clean that single coils paired with Strats do. You could pull it off but why not get the Fender first and then get the LP if you want RHCP tones?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
lol, when i read the title, i thought u meant that les paul (himself) would play some RHCP songs on a gibson in concert, wtf?? lol
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Yeah humbuckers really just can't get that same tone. Just test it out at the guitar store. Play a song (Can't Stop for example) on the Gibson, then straight away play it on the Strat or Tele, and you can tell the difference clear as day.
I don't even bother playing rhcp on my LP- except for some of the solos. I just cannot have fun playing their songs unless I have a strat in my hands. The sound is very different as well as the feel.
Quote by dudester410
lol, when i read the title, i thought u meant that les paul (himself) would play some RHCP songs on a gibson in concert, wtf?? lol

I thought the same thing. But that's probably because I just watched a video of Les Paul playing with Chet Atkins.
I was playing a Gibson SG custom I reckon' with stock pickups through a traynor YCV50. As usual I was playing some RHCP licks and all that. It sounded fine to me. no coil splits or anything
readymade is a nice heavy song that you can learn and One Hot Minute, but their funky side would be tough with a gibson
whats amp are you using?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I went a bit off playing RHCP, bought a Les Paul and a fender amp, and then got back into playing RHCP. WRONG. WRONGWRONGWRONG. Frusciante does play a Les paul on "Readymade" but other than that, you'd be stretching it to get his tone out of any amp with an LP. As much as I love my Les Paul, I cant stress enough how much I would rather have a strat in my hands while playing RHCP songs.
Why does anyone care?

Why can't people just play whatever they want, on whatever they want. Yes, a strat has more shimmer than a Les Paul, but going to the lengths of choosing your gear based on one artist's sound is nothing short of pathetic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i play chili pepper songs on my les paul custom all the time, just adjust your sound to get it close as possible. its not going to be that drastically different
californication played on a white falcon?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by dudester410

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought this!

why not just buy the Fender?
You'll be able to get v. close to the sound.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by steven seagull
Why does anyone care?

Why can't people just play whatever they want, on whatever they want. Yes, a strat has more shimmer than a Les Paul, but going to the lengths of choosing your gear based on one artist's sound is nothing short of pathetic.

Because RHCP songs (most of them) sounds better with a Strat, it's simply better suited for those songs, especially their funky songs, because John really makes his Strat sound like a Strat should.
And also I think that TS wants a Strat because he listens alot to RHCP, he is inspired by their sound and would like to sound similiar to them.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
You could pull off Fortune Faded or Readymade with an LP since that's what they were played on. Californication and Otherside wouldn't be all that bad, and the rest would be bad but not terrible. I spent about a year playing RHCP, Hendrix, and numerous other Strat songs on an Ibanez SZ320 through a Crate V8 and it wasn't all that bad.
Quote by steven seagull
Why does anyone care?

I agree. I think it's only really needed to copy someone's gear if you're in a tribute band.

TS, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're going to a Strat at a later date anyways, it's no big deal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
RHCP really does have that Stratocaster essence to it. It just sounds like a Strat through Marshalls, which is essentially what it is. That's not to say it will be the be all and end all if you play Chili's songs with an LP, it doesn't have to sound the same tonally, otherwise you are just blantantly copying and may as well just start a tribute show, cause that is all you will ever amount to, that is if you intend to directly copy the tone.

I wouldn't get a Gibson though regardless nowadays. I played 5 high end Gibson Les Pauls the other day when testing an Orange AD30 (it wasn't the amp that sounded bad, the amp was great! finally saw what all the hype about Oranges was about) and they are really going down the tubes with their Les Paul models. Les Pauls post-1999 are ****-on-a-stick, they play horribly, sound sub-par (my Epiphone sounds significantly better) and are not very durable (the knobs were very difficult to manipulate).

I'm actually surprised that a guitar that I have never given any respect to, the Gibson SG, was actually one of the best guitars I played through the Orange. I similarly found the same decline in quality with an American Telecaster that I played there through it as well.

The two names are fading. But, I suggest you get the Les Paul if you want it and just play RHCP with that, it's not a significant cause for concern that he uses a Strat. Les Pauls can sound very funky depending on your ability to play mostly. Funk is done through playing, not the guitar.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I had only a Les Paul for several weeks after I sold my 62' reissue... and it was awfull... just like somebody said earlier... if I have an LP in my hands, I can't play on of RHCP songs, I mean I just can't... but with the Strat, RHCP is amazing. so I'd just buy a Strat first and then LP.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
i play RHCP with a PRS SC se through a cube 60 and sound pretty good... youll NEVER get frusciantes tone... no matter what
Neck pick up....roll off the volume....clean channel with a lil reverb. Don't worry you can play RHCP songs like that just fine frusicante wont come hunt you down and kill you for changing the tone a bit on his songs. If you can PLAY it well it wont matter what guitar you do it on.