I have a Gibson Les Paul and an Orange Rockerverb 50. I was wondering how to get the smooth tones that Schon, Slash, and Scholz get while using my bridge pickup, which is pretty bright (it would help if you have a les paul and know what the bridge sounds like. Could you please give me tips and eq settings (if possible). I was also wondering what you think of the Boss CS-3 to be used as a sustainer.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Im pretty sure that Slash uses the Neck pickup almost exclusively, but Im not entirely sure. That would affect how close you could get that kind of sound though.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Well i have an orange tiny terror, and i get stuff like "sweet child o mine" quite easily just with everything around the 12oclock, so balanced with a bit of gain

im unsure what sound u are talking about tho, and its usually easier to just play around to find it
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by SGstriker
Im pretty sure that Slash uses the Neck pickup almost exclusively, but Im not entirely sure. That would affect how close you could get that kind of sound though.

na man only on the laid back sorta stuff. songs like welcome to the jungle and.... well just about everything on appitite for destruction (execpt sweet child o mine) he uses the bridge
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Yah ive noticed he uses the bride alot.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
anybody?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
Can't speak for the other two 'cause I'm not at all familiar with their work. Slash, I can handle though.

Slash mostly uses the bridge for rhythm or background playing. He almost never used it for lead playing. When it does come to the rhythm playing or background fills, he used the bridge and neck pickup in almost equal amounts. The middle setting was rarely used in the early days of GnR, though it does see some use now in Velvet Revolver. For almost all lead stuff, he's using the neck pickup, with the tone knob at various positions. His most famous lead tone is played with the tone rolled almost all the way down, for fills and such he more often than not keeps the tone at full. His bridge tone is almost always cut back down to around the 6 position, and is certainly never full. Be aware that at variosu times he has also used Gibson SGs and BC Rich Mockingbirds in addition to his famous Les Pauls, so don't expect to be able to emulate every single one of his tones on just any one given guitar.

Other than that, the key(s) to Slash tone is:

1) Low power pickups. The Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups he uses aren't very high output. All of the stock Gibson pickups are higher output than these, except the BurstBucker #1, which is about on-par, but is tonally different (less high end).
2) Use your damn volume control to increase/back off the input and gain. It's not there just to make you louder or quieter.
3) Thick strings. Slash uses .11 Ernie Ball strings.
4) Amp gain. You don't have to crank it as high as you think you do.
5) No pedals. Don't use any - he doesn't. Slash gets all of his overdrive from his amp.
6) Notice the key term in #6 - overdrive. Slash does not use distortion or fuzz.
7) EQ. Slash keeps full mids, barely cuts back the treble, and has fairly full (though not complete) bass. On most preamps, I find this to be full for the Mid, around 11 or 10 o'clock for Treble/High, and around8 or 7 o'clock for Bass/Low.
8) Dig the string fairly hard with medium-thick picks (between 1mm and 1.4mm is usually right; Slash uses 1.14mm Tortex picks). Most of Slash's tone comes from how he plays, not what he's playing on.
9) Remember that what you're playing is more important than what you're playing on. Even with his exact gear, you'll never sound like Slash - you don't have his fingers, you don't have his interpretation. Nobody does but Slash. Don't get too hell-bent on copying his tone.
10) When it comes to it, even Slash himself can't replicate his original tone. The preamp he used in the early days was a one-off oddball modded preamp which has since been lost and he's never been able to replicate, and even the guitars he used have changed drastically since then (and, unknown to many people, his LP wasn't actually a Gibson; and some tracks on AfD were recorded with an SG, not an LP at all). Trying to replicate his tone exactly is simply a pointless exercise that is impossible to actually achieve.