My tone is pretty bad.....is it 100% because I have a marshall mg? I also have a TS9 tubescreamer and a crybaby 535Q and my wah doesn't sound too great. I'm thinking its because of the amp. Any help is appreciated.
well the MG alone is gonna give you crappy tone. and adding a tubescreamer is a big no no, especially since the MG is a SS amp.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Silvertone SS11 strat copy (possibly modding in future)
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
He said Marshall.. what kind of Marshall?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by jimmyslashpage
My tone is pretty bad.....is it 100% because I have a marshall mg?

please read.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
MG's are pretty bad, replace that with a nice tube amp (Peavey Vk112)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'll admit...it's the amp. Get a new one. I've never had experience with it, but from what I've constantly observed on UG, I've brainwashed into answering negatively to all aspects of that family of models.
Quote by mazohysthoney
well the MG alone is gonna give you crappy tone. and adding a tubescreamer is a big no no, especially since the MG is a SS amp.

ya i know it is...but i do plan on getting a tube amp hopefully
well I think you'd like your tone a lot more if you got a tube amp, or a better SS atleast. good luck to ya.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD Viper 400
Alvarez AD70S acoustic

Amp
Roland Cube 60
Quote by mazohysthoney
please read.

Sorry, didn't see that. It helps if one uses capitals, though.

Anyway, it's largely going to be due to your amp. That should be your first priority, gear- wise.
Overdrive + crappy SS amp= crap. If the crappy SS amp is a MG, then you get flaming tonal diarrhea.

Get a decent tube combo. I agree with oneblackened, a VK112 will sound good with an OD in front of it.

What guitar are you playing?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Get a peavey valveking 112, i just got one and i absolutely love the tone from that amp.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

My advice is to take the TS9 and turn the drive all the way down, tone all the way up, and level half way. Then, sit down and take time to dial in a tone you like. Sure, it might not be perfect, but it will sound a lot better. I have a Crate GT212 and a Boss SD-2 overdrive, and I get a decent tone out of it that way.
Im not a big fan of MGs, they have pretty bad tone. Id say its the amp. Get a Peavey Classic or Valveking.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)