What would be the difference in knowing the major scale and every note in it all over the guitar or learning the modes and knowing their positions all over the guitar? Would it just be for soloing over chords such as using lydian for #11 chords or using mixolydian for dominant sevenths? Would there be a difference or is learning the modes just a more simple way of going about it? I know that each mode sounds different, but you're still playing the same notes just at different places. I hope yall can figure out what I'm trying to say.
Last edited by jimmyslashpage at Mar 31, 2008,
they have different intervals and correlate to different progression and chords

so if i palyed

Am C G and EDIT: F i orrigannally put D but meant F

this progression has both notes in Cmaj and Aminor but the progression resolves to Amin

is there for we use the Amin scale which in turns shares the same notes as the C maj scalebut the minor will give you a different feel possible than Cmaj

EDIT: they are comletely different scales i just thought i would throw that out there too lol.
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Mar 31, 2008,
so basically just different feels and uses over different chords......thats kinda what i thought
Quote by Infatuation
So are modes basically scales?
Yes, but true modal music is very strict. Search through a few pages of MT for posts about modes by Archeo Avis and me.

One thing to know:
Once you know the major scale all over the neck, you know the modes as well. The only difference is the different root note (NOT POSITION!!!!) but, as you will see when you search, that root note makes a big difference.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes, but true modal music is very strict. Search through a few pages of MT for posts about modes by Archeo Avis and me.

One thing to know:
Once you know the major scale all over the neck, you know the modes as well. The only difference is the different root note (NOT POSITION!!!!) but, as you will see when you search, that root note makes a big difference.

that's true you can keep the progression i wrote strickly Aeolian by not changing any intervals and keeping the progression so that it resolves to Amin

Quote by jimmyslashpage
so basically just different feels and uses over different chords......thats kinda what i thought

yeah pretty much but you can't play modes over any progression
for instance C maj and D dorian have the same notes

but the pregression are very different and will give you different feel but they relate directly to the progression

Quote by lbc_sublime
that's true you can keep the progression i wrote strickly Aeolian by not changing any intervals and keeping the progression so that it resolves to Amin
It will never be strictly Aeolian; the D chord contains an F# note which sounds good, but it isn't Aeolian.
for sure the whole progressin o meant Fmaj not Dmaj sorry
and i know tat is a pretty big deal i just over looked

Quote by lbc_sublime
for sure the whole progressin o meant Fmaj not Dmaj sorry
and i know tat is a pretty big deal i just over looked
Now it strongly pulls to C major.
Quote by Infatuation
So are modes basically scales?

The simple definition is that it's a re-ordering of a scale, such as the major scale; this is sometimes referred to as the "parent scale". Each mode contains the same notes as the parent scale but begins on a different root, but that's where the similarities end.

Quote by lbc_sublime
they have different intervals and correlate to different progression and chords

so if i palyed

Am C G F

As BGC said, that's not an Aeolian progression. Just because the notes come from the minor scale doesn't mean it is; it's in A minor, not A Aeolian. Modal and key-based music are not the same things at all.
Last edited by :-D at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Now it strongly pulls to C major.

D minor instaed of F? does that work i am just trying to give an example?

^Yes, Am C G Dm pulls very strongly to the Am chord, IMMHOHO (in my most humble of humble opinions-it will catch on!).

Quote by :-D
As BGC said, that's not an Aeolian progression. Just because the notes come from the minor scale doesn't mean it is; it's in A minor, not A Aeolian. Modal and key-based music are not the same things at all.
First off, that first quote in your sig is pure class.

Second, that's not what I meant, but it's correct. I was actually talking about something he posted that was incorrect; he has since used the F chord to replace a D MAJOR chord. The old progression, Am C G D, sounded like it was in A minor, not not pure, natural minor. Ironically, when he tried to make it natural minor with the F chord, he altered it in such a way that it resolves to C, IMMHOHO.
The simple definition is that it's a re-ordering of a scale, such as the major scale; this is sometimes referred to as the "parent scale". Each mode contains the same notes as the parent scale but begins on a different root, but that's where the similarities end.

but it could be could it not? or am i a little off here?

EDIT: what would define this as Aminor instead of A aeolian

Quote by lbc_sublime
but it could be could it not? or am i a little off here?
Go read the arguments Arch and I have had with people over the last two weeks.
Ah, I see what you thought, but all I was connecting you with was the "not an Aeolian progression" point, the next sentence was just my own rambling. I agree with you that it sounds like it wants to go to C.

And thank you for the signature comment, as soon as that pearl of wisdom appeared I knew I had to immortalize it.
And thank you for the signature comment, as soon as that pearl of wisdom appeared I knew I had to immortalize it.
Someone said something like that recently. Are you the lucky guy to sig it, or is your's from a different poster?

The one of which I am thinking was by MopMaster or some weirdo like that.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Someone said something like that recently. Are you the lucky guy to sig it, or is your's from a different poster?

The one of which I am thinking was by MopMaster or some weirdo like that.

So, this was a different one but in the same thread.

lbc_sublime: I'll respond in a little while to your minor/Aeolian question, I just have to finish running through Love Thing a few times and I'll be right with you.
^ thank you but now the progression is Amin C G Dmin to keep it Amin

Quote by lbc_sublime
^ thank you but now the progression is Amin C G Dmin to keep it Amin

Yes, but I'm not sure that you know WHY it keeps the progression as A Aeolian instead of A minor. The more I've been posting in mode threads, the more I realize the majority of people don't understand why modes work a specific way.

The modes are harmonically unstable, so you'll find that they want to resolve back to something key-based; for example, your progression with the F chord wanted to resolve back to C. Resolving back to that major chord does not work with the Aeolian mode because it's a minor mode; the tonic chord is minor (1 b3 5). With the modes, you're restricting to using progressions and vamps that keep you in that mode rather than resolving back to something else.

In addition, the modes are limiting; key-based music was actually invented to fix the limitations of modal music. If you're trying to write a melody or solo in A Aeolian, feel free to play any note out of A B C D E F G, but throw in anything else and you're no longer playing A Aeolian.