So today I traded in my BC Rich metal master Kerry King V ($299) for a Charvel 1980's model guitar (only $229!!!), equipped with a floyd and all jackson hardware. But there's something new to me here, and its these metal switches. They look like on and off switches, and they give the pickups different tones from what I've come to experience. But for some reason whenever I switch my five way switch to the humbucker, it sounds like a single coil. It's not the pickup either, as its deffinitley a humbucker. I can't give a specific model on the humbucker cause its worn, and has no name on it. But there is a five way switch, and two metal on/off switches. Please help!!!
If you have switches, then turn off the coil tap.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you have switches, then turn off the coil tap.

It dosen't matter which way I flick the switches, any combination, it all sounds single coil. It just pretty much takes away some treble and adds bass with different combinations. No humbucking power
If it has a cover, open it. Someone posted before saying when he got a guitar off ebay he opened the covers and it was only single coils.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
If it has a cover, open it. Someone posted before saying when he got a guitar off ebay he opened the covers and it was only single coils.

Thanks for the quick reply, but one question! Can you be more specific when you say open the cover, as I have two, one for electronics, and one for the springs and floyd. And when I open the cover, what exactly am I looking for?
I just mean like the piece of metal that protects the humbucker. The humbucker is just 2 single coils next to each other, but when he took off the cover it was just a singe coil.
Feed your mind.
There is no metal, theres a piece of cloth wrapped around the humbucker and it kinda looks like two singles cause I can pull them apart without even taking the cloth off. And no its not really cloth, but some kind of material like that. So, if theres two single coils wrapped to be in one humbucker spot, why are there two switches, shouldnt there just be one switch to switch between them? Cause I have a 5 way pickup switch, then two 2-way metal switches, and I really don't understand what any of it does?!!
Also, dont know if its any help, but pickup poles (round things on the pickups) are two different types on the right and left side of this "humbucker". One has a spot for a flathead screwdriver, or looks likt it anyways, and the one on the right is completely solid.
Try pushing the knobs in.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Try pushing the knobs in.

No luck, the knob closest to the pickups feels like it could be pulled up, but it just falls right back down. It only comes up about an 1/8 of an inch.
Could be some bad wiring.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
Could be some bad wiring.

I was looking at the wiring and there is so many wires in the back of this guitar I don't want to even attempt to re-wire or even try to see if its correct. I was thinking of just wiring my EMG Select humbucker into the 5-way and running the single coil up front to the 5-way as well, but this is looking much more tedious than I can pull off. Especially since twelve hours from now I'll be going for an interview to a music class, and I need a *chuckles* working guitar.
Some guitars coil tap when the switch is in a certain position. You've probably tried this already, but try a different switch position.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Quote by musicalfish
Some guitars coil tap when the switch is in a certain position. You've probably tried this already, but try a different switch position.

Thanks, but yes I've tried this too. I'm currently looking at the wiring in this beast, and holy mother of jesus, look at this: