Hey guys,

Last week I got a TS9. There is some "tractor beam" like draw to it and I knewI had to have it.

Problem is, I don't really notice a difference with it. My HRD with the el84's does very well in the overdrive department and this pedal doesn't seem to add all that much to the party.

I admit, I may be too uninformed to set it all up right and that is the problem. But on the flip side, it may not be appropriate for me.

I do feel that if I use the TS9 on my clean channel the resulting tone is very tube-like. But, if I add it on the drive/more drive channels, it seems to add very little to the mix.

Have I made the wrong (and non-refundable) purchase? (If so I will be selling this 1 week old TS9 on UG, I am on the good traders list)

Thanks,

Greg
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Right, the settings should be something like:

Drive - 0
Level - Max
Tone - Preference
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^no, just they cant be pushed to the extreme - theyre great for many things!
Ah, yes... Another "if it's not metal-like distortion the OD is terrible" No offense taken.

I agree, stock the drive channels leave something to desire. But thats why I got the kit to change the stock 6L6's out with EL84's. I think that this swap is misunderstood and underrated. It makes a huge difference in the OD department, night and day, really. Not to mention that I got the dirtiest set of EL84's, a rating of 1 (blue) out of 10 on the Groove Tubes rating scale.

As far as my amp settings, drive around 6 (of 12), bass 5, mid 6, treble 6, reverb 2, presence 5. I don't normally fiddle with these much, to be honest I don't really know too much about using the EQ knobs. I have looked at the amp settings thread, which is very comprehensive, yet still I feel in the dark about things.

Also should be noted that I don't really like to go heavier than AC/DC type stuff, I really like a bluesy tone and this rig does it pretty well. I just am not impressed with the TS9 at all, and I really want to be. Plus, I am stuck with it, out $100.

Thanks,

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
My opinion (doesn't mean it's right) for this is that the TS9 wasn't the right pedal for you in the first place. It acts as a great overdrive channel for a one channel amp or something like a stock HRD that just doesn't have very good sounding overdrive. However, since you fixed that and it seems like you have two channels you like already, it seems it's either the wrong pedal or the wrong type of pedal. See if you can try out some different ODs at a store or maybe a clean boost.
I appreciate that honest opinion. That actually mirrors what I have been fearing all along - that I got caught up in the hype of the TS9 and made the wrong choice. If I were to add any pedal that would add to the OD-Dist department it would be something to fill in the gap about the OD I have now, something with heavy distortion. (As much as I like the tone now I do often wish this setup could go heavier at times)

-Greg
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1