Hey,

I have been playing guitar for almost five years now, and I play a variety of styles. I mainly play jazz (big band and small combo at school), but when I'm on my own, I play a lot of metal (in flames, children of bodom to name a few) and some rock. I had been playing out of a tiny, crappy transistor amp, so I was in desperate need of a new one. I decided I could only afford another solid-state amp, but I did need something louder with better tone.

My teacher recommended a Peavey Bandit 112, so I set off to the store to check it out and possibly other amps of the same kind, in the same price range. I didn't really need too many features on the amp itself, as I do use a multi-effects pedal (Digitech RP-80, hope to upgrade that soon as well...). I found that they had the amp for $329.99, and it was normally $379.99. Pretty good deal, I thought. I played the amp and really liked the distortion, and the clean was pretty good as well. I was pretty well sold on it until the dude in the shop showed me a Fender Frontman 212R for $299.99 (regularly a lot more I think, don't remember the exact price). It was 100W to the Bandit's 80W, and included a footswitch (the Bandit footswitch cost $37). It had a great clean sound, but ultimately I didn't like the distortion as much, I thought it wasn't as heavy.

So I decided to go with the Bandit, despite the bargain price of the Fender. I still haven't played through the Bandit outside of the store (gotta wait till my birthday... lame), but I have the sinking feeling that I should've picked the Fender amp. I feel like $300.00 plus tax for a 2-12, 100W amp (pretty powerful for what I am doing right now) with great clean and decent distortion was the better option than an amp that was something like $360 plus tax with the footswitch. Can anyone who knows a bit about amps or has possibly played through one (or both...?) of these amps in the past let me know if I made the right decision? I know this seems stupid but it has really been bugging me! Any advice would be great.

Returning the Peavey is not an option at this point, by the way.

Thanks a lot everyone!
nah the bandit is a better amp than the frontman.
i'd say you made the better choice
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
At that price point, I can only recommend the Epi Valve Junior, the Crate Palomino, the Fender Blues Junior, or a Blackheart amp.

For your purposes, a tube amp would have been the better choice for performance.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
shoulda gone with the fender or a crate gt1200h w/cab you can get em used for about 330
Ive played both (owned the fender 212). My guitar teacher plays out of the bandit in his lesson room. The bandit is so much nicer and is able to get a great tone while the fender is lacking in the distortion and somewhat in the clean(its very transparent on both, in the bad way). Though i now own a Fender "the Twin" i suffered through the 212 for a long time
i hav that fender amp and my friend has a peavey 80w...u made the good choice
Gear:
Ibanez SZ520
Yamaha EG112
Fender 212R
Digitech RP50
Boss DS-1
Behringer Hellbabe
Behringer Blues Overdrive
EHX Holy Stain
bandits prob the better choice...i owned a 212r once and really 100watts isnt much on that amp, and the 300$ tag is the normal price for it, everything is always much lower than retail price. if your gonna go fender, then go tube, no question.
'69 fender tele thinline semi-hollow
ts808
fender blues deville 410
I have a FM212 (luckily I have a better amp now) and yeah you aren't missing out on much. The cleans are OK, and it's loud, but the distortion is horrible. You probably made the better choice tbh.
You could have gotten a much better amp for the price, but you made the right choice getting the Bandit.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Bandit may be the best choice for your styles in your price range. Much better than the oversized Frontman. Don't sweat it, you did good.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Bandit may be the best choice for your styles in your price range. Much better than the oversized Frontman. Don't sweat it, you did good.

+1
Quote by slatsmania

Yep.

I can't believe people here actually recommend valve jrs and blackhearts for someone who wants to play jazz and metal
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Yep.

I can't believe people here actually recommend valve jrs and blackhearts for someone who wants to play jazz and metal

Didn't he play jazz in a loud situation and metal at home?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Maybe, but that would mean he would not want a 5 watt tube amp that breaks up at high volumes.

Oh damn why'd I recommend the VJ. Foolish of me.

I still stand by getting one of the Palominos, but the Bandit is alright at that price point, and it can double as a low volume practice amp.