Ever get into a fight with someone about emo music?

My friend is a classical musician and he was telling me how emo sounds like everything you hear on the radio, and how it shouldn't even be a genre. I was arguing the point that most people dont even know what emo is, and everyone mistakes it for stuff on the radio. It makes me want to vomit when i hear people talk about how much emo sucks and then they mention a band like Boys Like Girls . And they don't know about good bands like A day to remember or Funeral for a friend, and most dont even know who FUGAZI is. I usually dont get involved now, i usually take their emo comments with a **** eating grin because i know how ignorant they are.

Wasnt sure if this was the right forum for this but its the only one where i wouldnt get any "EMO SUCKS" comments..
Quote by waldorphPRS41
This thread is pointless. A Day To Remember and Funeral For A Friend aren't emo either.

+1
S m 0 0 k e w e e d & Live life bro.

....and funeral for a friend do actually truly suck.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
FFAF is awesome, especially Hours. Your right, emo is more like Sunny Day Real Estate and, more recently, Dashboard Confessional sometimes. Not bands like Boys Like Girls or The Starting Line. Those are pop-punk bands with singers that have high voices.
f... f... f...

...f...f-f-f-f-f-FAIL!!!!
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
dude blg is not emo. real emo is quite awful like him, secondhand serenade is way emo as well. good stuff akin to emo is often very good. too many people confuse pop-rock and emo.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by bwalter32
well your friend was right. emo sucks and is for little bitches.

I think a warning will be coming your way.

Quote by kennyvspenny
dude blg is not emo. real emo is quite awful like him, secondhand serenade is way emo as well. good stuff akin to emo is often very good. too many people confuse pop-rock and emo.

From what I understood from that sentence because you can't type, you couldn't be more wrong.

Also everyone of you need to read the real Emo thread and learn what it actually is.
Those are pop-punk bands with singers that have high voices.

name me ONE pop-pink band with a singer with a low voice

well your friend was right. emo sucks and is for little bitches.

/thread
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by waldorphPRS41
This thread is pointless. A Day To Remember and Funeral For A Friend aren't emo either.

... emotional lyrics.... emo

EDIT: Obviously i have to clarify, because everyone is taking the wrong impression of this comment. When you write many songs about love or hate or any other type of emotion, and have very extreme lyrics about said emotion this is what would make a band emo. Yes many bands write emotional songs like Led Zeppelins stairway to heaven and Metallicas Fade to Black, but they are in no way emo bands.

ex:

A day to remember -
"If actions spoke louder than words, you'd have made me deaf by now
You make it seem so easy to love me for who I really am

It'd break my heart, if we fell apart.
It'd be so hard to let you go"
Last edited by xScarfx at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by xScarfx

Quote by waldorphPRS41

Also everyone of you need to read the real Emo thread and learn what it actually is.

Quote by xScarfx

So Hank Williams is Emo, too?

You're wrong.

Emotive Hardcore = Emo.

How can you call others ignorant when you yourself don't even know what it means?
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Last edited by IlikeTheSKA at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by xScarfx

Fucking hell. You see, I was reading through this thread out of curiosity, now this idiotic cunt has actually forced me to waste the time it's taken for m to write this post.

Oh yeah, all lyrics with emotion = emo. Classical opera is emo. Led Zep is emo. Rage against the Machine is emo. Deicide is fucking emo, why not?

You stupid, juvenile, idiotic, ignorant, narrow-minded twat.

/rant.

So Led Zeppelin is Emo? because Stairway to Heaven has emotional lyrics.
Metallica's lyrics are emotional, i DARE you to walk up to Lars Ulrich and call his band emo
f_ck name 90% of any band ever, and according to your logic, they're emo
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by xScarfx

to be fair... lyrics are purely for emotion and meaning... am i correct? i mean... emotion is the whole reasoning behind music... it makes us feel something... so following your logic... that makes every song ... emo? ... i'm not saying i'm a hater of emo... i'm just saying that isn't purely how you define something as emo...

edit: ahh druz you got there before me! ... infact... a lot of people got there before me... wow... he got flamed bad...
Last edited by ~Funky monk~ at Mar 31, 2008,
As pointed out, the majority of us know that emotional lyrics does not equal Emo music.
The thread has been reported because it serves no purpose, everyone just leave it alone.
bro, i told everyone already, i dont argue about this **** anymore...
I know if a band is emo or not.
If an admin is reading you should delete this thread because it is pointless, i wanted to know if anyone ever got in an argument with someone about emo... but it turned into another pointless thread...
wow, this thread is so full of fail I can't take it.

I don't think one single real emo band has been named.

the whole PP&E forum looks down on you guys...
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by xScarfx
EDIT: Obviously i have to clarify, because everyone is taking the wrong impression of this comment. When you write many songs about love or hate or any other type of emotion, and have very extreme lyrics about said emotion this is what would make a band emo. Yes many bands write emotional songs like Led Zeppelins stairway to heaven and Metallicas Fade to Black, but they are in no way emo bands.

Wrong. Emo is EMOTIVE HARDCORE. Emotive hardcore is EMO. That's all there is to it. Case closed.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by qotsa1998
FFAF is awesome, especially Hours. Your right, emo is more like Sunny Day Real Estate and, more recently, Dashboard Confessional sometimes. Not bands like Boys Like Girls or The Starting Line. Those are pop-punk bands with singers that have high voices.

Actually, they're pop rock bands. They don't really have punk elements, but I won't get so picky about that now.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
emo=good

/thread
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by druz15_UG
name me ONE pop-pink band with a singer with a low voice

/thread

pop-punk?

Jawbreaker.

and emo is quite good, that is, if you listen to good bands.
Jawbreaker
I Hate Myself
SDRE
Promise Ring
Get-Up Kids
etc.
oh, and to add to the topic of the thread, however wrong it was stated, I tell people off about what is real emo all the time. so far, not one of the people I've argued with have known what a real emo band is. I've gotten a lot of MCR's and one Slipknot
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
oh, and to add to the topic of the thread, however wrong it was stated, I tell people off about what is real emo all the time. so far, not one of the people I've argued with have known what a real emo band is. I've gotten a lot of MCR's and one Slipknot

My friend got told that Creed was a screamo band once. I think that beats anything.
Quote by original=punk
pop-punk?

Jawbreaker.

and emo is quite good, that is, if you listen to good bands.
Jawbreaker
I Hate Myself
SDRE
Promise Ring
Get-Up Kids
etc.
Another pop punk band with a low voiced singer is Alkaline Trio.

There's also Latterman, None More Black, The Lawrence Arms...

I can go on
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Gosh, I hate when people call Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls, and all that other crap emo.

My friends do it all the time.. and sadly they think stuff like BFMV is emo, too.

Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Is this thread still going?

Emo is dead, it can't be heard on the radio, it doesn't play shows at the warped tour or whatever, it doesn't come on MTV and alot of you wouldn't even like it.
Screamo is the new genre nowadays, it's still alive and is heading for a new wave of bands. Emo might come back alive, but I think most people are actually apealed by screamo just a bit more. That being said, I am a fan of both emo and screamo bands, in case you doubt me.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Quote by druz15_UG
f... f... f...

...f...f-f-f-f-f-FAIL!!!!

yesh,

and tbh, i really honstly dont care what emo stands for.
it listen to the music, doesnt mean i have to write a 100 page essay on the meaning of the word.
makes NO difference to the music i listen to.
Its like a colour mismatch
emo kids always get beaten up because to the other cultures, they are just empty colourful-painted shells who dont stand for anything and dont do anything and the worse thing is 90percent dont even know what emo is! they are kids who listen to post-hardcore music and overdress purposely trying to stand out in a crowd where everyone wears the same type of clothing.
but i dont believe in violence so i wont beat them up but i do get very irritated when i see skinny legs trying to hardcore dancing inside a pit.
scene kids can't dance for balls, even if you point a pair of scissors to their hair and say "DANCE!"
this thread sucked so much.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?