Alright so my band has been doing some recordings and we've been getting some decent sounding ones. The only problem is that I'm using a Tascam DP-01 ( I got it for Christmas a year ago) and it only has two inputs. This makes recording kind of tough. We either do it live (one mic over the drums and one facing the bass and guitar amp) which doesn't sound that great but gets the job done.. and individually, where we use two overhead mics for the drums, then do bass, and then do guitar.

But recently I've been looking at some mixers and would be wondering if this setup would work:

Input 1 - Bass Direct Line in
Input 2 - Overhead Drums 1
Input 3 - Overhead Drums 2
Input 4 - Kick Mic
Input 5 - Snare Mic
Input 6 - Guitar Direct Line in

All those to the mixer and then the stereo mixer outputs into my tascam DP-01. I'm not sure if that will work though...

I was thinking about this mixer to start off:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238

It's really cheap and has all of the inputs I need.

Any help is appreciated.
you could do track recording with your mixer?
the set up you described would definitly work, but i find that a just a direct recording from guitar doesnt sound that great. an ideal i think would be a direct in for guitar and bass, but also a mic from a few feet away from the amp and mix the two.... i dont know much about recording but ive recorded in a lot of different set ups and i feel like that would sound the best.

make sure you record at a low volume, this video should explain that to you
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Yea I know that I can do track recording but two inputs just doesn't really cut it for drums.

Oh yea I know that direct line in from guitar sounds terrible. I meant the line out from the amp.
Your idea WOULD work...but It would be better to save up for a nice firewire interface and record each instrument one at a time.

Sell the tascam and save your money

If you can save up enough the PreSonus FireStudio Project is a nice interface for the price and give a good amount of inputs for your drums.

Most interfaces lower in the price range (mackie onyx satellite for example.) only have two mic inputs so you could only do two overheads at one time on the drums which isnt a good setup. Once again you could use a mixer to get all the drum mics in but then you cant EQ and adjust the tone of each drum mic in editing which I feel is extremely important.

I highly suggest saving up for that FireStudio interface and a few mics. Im sure it will work out very well for your band and youll be able to use it for a long time.
Quote by guitarmaniac17
Yea I know that I can do track recording but two inputs just doesn't really cut it for drums.

Oh yea I know that direct line in from guitar sounds terrible. I meant the line out from the amp.

yea i figured it was hte line input on the amp, but i usually find that the sound is really lacking like that, but if the mic is too far away it sounds like your playing in a garage with ****ty acoustics or something....you gotta find a happy medium, like i said i dont know much about this lol
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Ideally, I would second what moody said, as you'll be far better in the long run with the inputs that the Firestudio provides. You'll have lots more editing capabilities, and you'll almost certainly be able to achieve a better mix. However, if you really can't wait, you can probably do it the way you mentioned for quite a bit cheaper and achieve a decent result, but you'd be better advised to go for the interface in my opinion.
There is poetry in despair.