I've been trying to find peoplei n my city to start jaming with me so we could possible play at bars and friday night live ( its a festible downtown every friday night during the summer ).

I've asked my teacher to put the word out and no luck.

and I'm getting quite board playing in my office.

I've also got an add on craigs list.
It's A Long Ways To The Top If You Want To Rock & Roll

Guitars: Cort g260 w/Vintage strat pickups, Standard Sg coming soon.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.
Traynor YCV CLASSIC 40 WATT ALL TUBE AMP 2x10 COMBO.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by mikeman
myspace.
No thanks.

It's a really bad place.

and alot of cam girls.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
No thanks.

It's a really bad place.

and alot of cam girls.

you can still create an account, then set it to private, then you wont be bothered by it, then you can post your want ad or whatever.
Quote by ncm414
you can still create an account, then set it to private, then you wont be bothered by it, then you can post your want ad or whatever.
True true.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
I've been trying to find peoplei n my city to start jaming with me so we could possible play at bars and friday night live ( its a festible downtown every friday night during the summer ).

I've asked my teacher to put the word out and no luck.

and I'm getting quite board playing in my office.

I've also got an add on craigs list.

welcome to my world.
Quote by z4twenny
welcome to my world.
I know and whats bad, Is my state is known for its music.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1

what state?
I'm kinda interested in jamming, but I know my current job will interfere with it.
Quote by ncm414
what state?
I'm kinda interested in jamming, but I know my current job will interfere with it.

Michigan near the tc area.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Here's my thoughts on finding people to jam with...

It's hard, but not impossible. Your post didn't mention what city you're in, but if you're in a city, and it's big enough to warrant a public music festival every friday, then you've got good chances. I am of the mind that settling for less is not acceptable, because it never works. The few times I have started any kind of project with someone who was sub-par at their instrument, I have had to end it awkwardly and it always sucks.

So bearing in mind that you should not settle for less, you should remember to know what you need. You need someone who can play in time, who understands music in the same way that you do (whichever way that may be), who has their own gear, and is of the same level of commitment as you are when it comes to jamming. And you should be able to get along with them. Other than that, don't rule people out because they like this band or that band, or because they live farther away, etc etc etc

In my entire experience as a musician (with one funky exception), The Internet is, in fact, the WORST place to find a band member. Why? Because it's too anonymous, too anti-social and too fucking BIG! And on top of that, it's a well known fact among normal people (lol) that people with social problems use the internet to make friends, because they need like, ten minutes to THINK about what they're gonna type back to the person they're talking to. These people can't get along or keep up with everyone else! I'm not talking about everyone on the net, of course, but you know these people are out there!

On top of that, it's too easy to get the wrong impression about someone over the net, and it's too easy to flake out on an appointment when you've never met the person face to face or actually spoken with them. I've had many plans for jams that just never happened. People misrepresent on the internet more too, because it's SO EASY to bull**** about talent, looks, gear, ability, attitude, age, etc etc etc

So what are you to do?

Hit the streets! Hit the phones! Hit the newspapers. Your city must have one of those cheap, usually free entertainment rags that you can pick up at any newstand, and there's usually a page or two of musician want ads. Post one, and answer some. Go to open jams at pubs and see who's playing. Play along if you want, or just approach players you like afterwards.

Every time I've needed a new band member and had to search for someone new and random, it's turned out that the best way to do it is to phone someone about their ad and have a 5 minute conversation with them about music, and arrange a jam right away. Even if the jam sucks, it still happens and now you know.

And of course, local colleges and universities are great places to find music folks.

Good luck!
Last edited by frigginjerk at Mar 31, 2008,
Quote by ncm414
oh...that's about an Hour and a half drive for me...

I'm south of Lansing.
Shoot me a Pm.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by frigginjerk
Here's my thoughts on finding people to jam with...

It's hard, but not impossible. Your post didn't mention what city you're in, but if you're in a city, and it's big enough to warrant a public music festival every friday, then you've got good chances. I am of the mind that settling for less is not acceptable, because it never works. The few times I have started any kind of project with someone who was sub-par at their instrument, I have had to end it awkwardly and it always sucks.

So bearing in mind that you should not settle for less, you should remember to know what you need. You need someone who can play in time, who understands music in the same way that you do (whichever way that may be), who has their own gear, and is of the same level of commitment as you are when it comes to jamming. And you should be able to get along with them. Other than that, don't rule people out because they like this band or that band, or because they live farther away, etc etc etc

In my entire experience as a musician (with one funky exception), The Internet is, in fact, the WORST place to find a band member. Why? Because it's too anonymous, too anti-social and too fucking BIG! And on top of that, it's a well known fact among normal people (lol) that people with social problems use the internet to make friends, because they need like, ten minutes to THINK about what they're gonna type back to the person they're talking to. These people can't get along or keep up with everyone else! I'm not talking about everyone on the net, of course, but you know these people are out there!

On top of that, it's too easy to get the wrong impression about someone over the net, and it's too easy to flake out on an appointment when you've never met the person face to face or actually spoken with them. I've had many plans for jams that just never happened. People misrepresent on the internet more too, because it's SO EASY to bull**** about talent, looks, gear, ability, attitude, age, etc etc etc

So what are you to do?

Hit the streets! Hit the phones! Hit the newspapers. Your city must have one of those cheap, usually free entertainment rags that you can pick up at any newstand, and there's usually a page or two of musician want ads. Post one, and answer some. Go to open jams at pubs and see who's playing. Play along if you want, or just approach players you like afterwards.

Every time I've needed a new band member and had to search for someone new and random, it's turned out that the best way to do it is to phone someone about their ad and have a 5 minute conversation with them about music, and arrange a jam right away. Even if the jam sucks, it still happens and now you know.

And of course, local colleges and universities are great places to find music folks.

Good luck!
You got a point, All I want is someone whow ants to jama lot and possible to jam on friday night lives.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
as far as the "finding people sucks" Amen brother. Not everyone is in a highschool full of potential band-mates. But just keep on keepin' on tho.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
as far as the "finding people sucks" Amen brother. Not everyone is in a highschool full of potential band-mates. But just keep on keepin' on tho.
On an off topic, How close are you to OCC gang milage wise?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
On an off topic, How close are you to OCC gang milage wise?
you mean Orange County Choppers right? They're building this HUGE new place right next to the dump I take my recycling(aren't I a good boy?). There original place is farther away but it takes me about 7-10minutes to get to the dump. Wait, let me googlemap it. 6.1miles.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
you mean Orange County Choppers right? They're building this HUGE new place right next to the dump I take my recycling(aren't I a good boy?). There original place is farther away but it takes me about 7-10minutes to get to the dump. Wait, let me googlemap it. 6.1miles.
Lucky bumer, ever see Mikey? or any of them in town?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
^^haha - I don't know of any advantages of living close to those guys. I've seen Sr and Jr riding around on some dope bikes. That's about it. I'd love to hang with Mikey tho. lol. Union guys are always protesting at their place(s) cause supposedly they don't hire union help or something.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by CortFan1

you think YOUR state is known for its music? dude i live in the dallas fort worth TX area. the only guy who's been interested in the kinda stuff i do lives a little over an hour away.
Do you go to church? Maybe see if any of the musicians wanna jam sometime. That's how I got my drummer, and my keyboard player.
^ i get a horrible burning sensation when i go near a church....... mainly in my crotch

secondly i don't think anyone who goes to church would want to do what i want to.
Really? I would re-think that. I wouldn't think of church folk as people who only live and breathe The Bible. Their people, just like everyone else, and they all have their certain music tastes. All very different.
^ i realize that, but i endorse heresy..... well not quite heresy, but a different line of thought. thinking "outside the box" if you will. i don't doubt that there are people there with different musical tastes but i think i'd be incredibly hard pressed to find people who want to do a ministry/pantera/nine inch nails/thrash metal/industrial kinda thing at church.
^^I would think it's hard when you're not a regular church goer let alone have your own church. For me, it'd be more intimidating then going into a metal-show and just yelling "who wants to jam with me??"

But I do know a metal-head friend who met his roommate in bible camp. if you knew the dude, it becomes a hilarious joke.

EDIT: whoops, I was responding to dude-1
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Try the church of satan. I hear their down with OPP.

But for real, most guys I know at my church listen to everything from Soulja boy, to Oasis. Actually, out former Youth Leader listens to stuff like Metallica and such (which might explain why he's the FORMER leader).
Thanks guys I'll see what I can do.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
^ rock has proven you dont really need a GOOD lead singer, just one that can hold a note more or less. look at nirvana.
Quote by z4twenny
^ rock has proven you dont really need a GOOD lead singer, just one that can hold a note more or less. look at nirvana.
I can hold a note pretty well.

But man it sucks really bad, I'm ready to play with people.

I'm beginning to get board playing alone.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
idk if anyones mentioned this...but have you tried hanging out at music stores? sometimes I've met people by simply trying out different guitars/amps for like 2hrs. Also...it's a prime place to put up an ad.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
idk if anyones mentioned this...but have you tried hanging out at music stores? sometimes I've met people by simply trying out different guitars/amps for like 2hrs. Also...it's a prime place to put up an ad.
I have 1 closed it doors for good, and my add still up on the other store and the store I got to for lessons don't have a black board area so you can put up an add.

Should I lower my age search and astart looking for people in their 20 early 30's?

I was hoping to stay in my age bracket.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
^ my problem is that i see signs "17-20 looking for guitarist" or i see signs for stuff that i wouldn't really want to do. country isn't my thing, neither is pop/punk. i went to try out for a band of kids and it was SOOOOOOOOOO godawful im glad they never called back. all i want is a group of proficient players openminded enough to try out what i want to do. so few people are that way that i don't really even bother much anymore.
Quote by z4twenny
^ my problem is that i see signs "17-20 looking for guitarist" or i see signs for stuff that i wouldn't really want to do. country isn't my thing, neither is pop/punk. i went to try out for a band of kids and it was SOOOOOOOOOO godawful im glad they never called back. all i want is a group of proficient players openminded enough to try out what i want to do. so few people are that way that i don't really even bother much anymore.
I know what you mean mate.

I'm just looking for some one who wants to jam and not get glorified doing it.

Or espect something in return or what ever.

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
^ see i can relate. i'm looking for a group of musicians that would be interested in what i want to do and gig and enjoy it. i've seen friends bands that turn completely and totally into a business. i prefer it to be an equal mix of work and fun. if it just ends up being work then thats no fun and chances are if you just end up having "fun" you're probably not getting anything accomplished.

i have a good friend, his band is pretty good, but he has very little (see: NONE) creative influence, its his guitarists band essentially. which is good for the guitarist, but awful for him. i'd love to team up with him as we used to jam ALL the time back before he started working nights. we always had a blast, but alas he is now stuck with a band that doesn't give him much outlet. as we all know, its one thing to have an excessive ego but its totally different to have any input ignored (this i think is because most of his stuff is in odd time sigs)
Quote by z4twenny
^ see i can relate. i'm looking for a group of musicians that would be interested in what i want to do and gig and enjoy it. i've seen friends bands that turn completely and totally into a business. i prefer it to be an equal mix of work and fun. if it just ends up being work then thats no fun and chances are if you just end up having "fun" you're probably not getting anything accomplished.

i have a good friend, his band is pretty good, but he has very little (see: NONE) creative influence, its his guitarists band essentially. which is good for the guitarist, but awful for him. i'd love to team up with him as we used to jam ALL the time back before he started working nights. we always had a blast, but alas he is now stuck with a band that doesn't give him much outlet. as we all know, its one thing to have an excessive ego but its totally different to have any input ignored (this i think is because most of his stuff is in odd time sigs)
Where you at in the world?

Amps.
Ibanez 10 watt bass amp.

Pedals
Digitech RP150.
Quote by CortFan1
Where you at in the world?

arlington, tx (between dallas and ft worth)

seriously its hard to get into a band if you're over 22 and want to play something other than covers, country, classic rock or incredibly generic metal. i want metal, but not generic

maybe i'll check craigslist