I've got into some game soundtrack music, I will not state state what game to save myself the humiliation, I was wondering if there was anyway to make my guitar have a fading in effect, like a violin.
One of them neat-o Roland synthesizers, or a volume pedal, or play with the volume on your guitar. Example: Keep volume at 0, strike a note, and bring the volume up. You're going to have to do this with every note, so I just use a volume pedal.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
I can get a violin sound out of my line 6 echo park with reverse echo.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
it's been said but volume pedal or swell whichever is more convenient term for you

why would you be embarassed about the video game soundtrack? hell i learned alot of songs from the pokemon games on gb
I've found that some noisegates can block out the initial striking of a note a produce a violin type effect.
theres actually wonderful music in videogames. most people don't really listen. the final fantasy series has some AMAZING music. nobuo uematsu is at worse a lesser demi god.

as for your question some simple delay can do this, heres how (this tip courtest of metallica)

kill the tone, turn down your tone knobs, set your toggle switch to the "rhythm" setting (i think thats the bridge pickups)

turn your volume all the way down on your guitar via the volume knob
turn on the delay (some gain helps make it more violin-ey)
hit a string and slowly turn up the volume.

voila.
Quote by z4twenny
theres actually wonderful music in videogames. most people don't really listen. the final fantasy series has some AMAZING music. nobuo uematsu is at worse a lesser demi god.

'K +1. FF12 just wasn't as good since he left Square...
Volume pedals really good.Oh heres a tip never buy the jellyfish pick it is advertised to have a bow like sound.
When in fact it sounds like metal pins being scraped across you stings.
I seem to have wasted $9.00.
Agree completely concerning final fantasy music. It's just so subtle you barely notice it. Been making video game music on guitar pro in my spare time so I can work better with the layering of instruments.

My advice if you want to play like a violin is to get a violin. Mine only cost forty pounds and it is definately something worth learning.
Once I have my work laptop working again I'll export some and do just that. It's all simple little instrumental stuff, experimenting with different potential instruments really.
Quote by z4twenny
most people don't really listen. the final fantasy series has some AMAZING music. nobuo uematsu is at worse a lesser demi god.

Uematsu is probably my single biggest influence as a musician. The man is a genius.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You can use the violining effect with the volume knob, you tap the notes with a nice delay or echo effect on then quikly turn the volume knob a bit up so a bit of the sound comes through then turn it completely down. Eddie van halen is great at this check this solo called cathedral out LINK
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by Archeo Avis
Uematsu is probably my single biggest influence as a musician. The man is a genius.

if i could be half the composer he is before i die i think i could die happy.
This is an expensive idea, but one worth considering: a guitar synth. Look it up on Roland's or Boss' website. I've played through a synth before; it's pretty cool.
^ i hate yngwie mainly due to his incredible ego. but i do love that echo etude. which is basically what i suggested before (except he shows that it can sound f#cking brilliant when done correctly)
^exactly lol. i love his music though...just amazing. and yeah i read what you typed, i'm about to find a video of that too.

go to 5:20 in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9BIvthwJM
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Apr 1, 2008,
^ yes they also used it in 'to live is to die' if i remember correctly, also there was a song on the black album that used it but i can't remember which one off the top of my head (maybe the break during the god that failed or my friend of misery?)

yeah yngwie is a really good guitarist i just wish somebody would b!tch slap him and humble him a little lol.

edit: i thought i was the only one who liked stuff off of load/reload lol, those were really good albums if you can get past the fact thats its not the uber thrash MOP/justice type stuff
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 2, 2008,
hell no man. i love those cd's. amazing songs even though they may not be "metallica, metal up your ass, metallica".

edit: good point, perfect vid for using volume pedal: start at 2:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRuHxAu6xJA
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Apr 2, 2008,
get an e-bow. they are sick. make a violin or chelo sound. go to a guitar store and try one out, you use it instead of a pick, but its just a little box you move over your pickup. its cool
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

ebow or volume pedal or volume knob
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by z4twenny
^ i hate yngwie mainly due to his incredible ego. but i do love that echo etude. which is basically what i suggested before (except he shows that it can sound f#cking brilliant when done correctly)
Hate the guy, love the music.

Most mega huge musicians have mega huge egos though. Even Steve Vai formed an annoying ego. It only gets obnoxious when guys that dont write their music, barely play their music (too much post processing, vocoder, session musicians playing what they should) start getting egos.

Another expensive idea. Get light strings, get a bow. You'd be able to bow the E and the B (if you held down the E string), but the steal strings will shred the horse hair on the bow (unless you play classical guitar?). You might be buying a new 30 dollar bow each time you play.

I like the bowed guitar (see above), pity it'd have to be either hand-made or custom.